smoking cheese today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smoking cheese today

Doing some up for us and friends (makes a nice cheap but homemade Christmas present to give to folks).

The setup. For cheese you want a really really really cold fire. A cold day is a help. In my Egg I put 6 briquettes (natural Royal Oak briquettes, no ucky additives) and ashed them over with a propane torch. Placed some apple wood chips on the briquettes, a platesetter to cook indirect with a pan of ice to insure the cheese stayed cool and put Muenster, Swiss, PepperJack, and Sharp Cheddar on the grid to smoke. Added some fresh wood chips thirty minutes in. Smoked for a total of 60 minutes rock steady at 75 degrees dome temp.

Not my original technique or idea for the record. Came from a friend and bbq mentor of mine.

As lord and master of your grill, you will welcome any opportunity to display your grilling prowess.
    Mario Batali, 2006

Cheers .
    How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
    Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

did it work? or did it just melt away and form a multicoloured cheese sludge?
      Not lip service, nor obsequious homage to superiors, nor servile observance of forms and customs...the Australian army is proof that individualism is the best and not the worst foundation upon which to build up collective discipline - General Monash

Comment

Originally posted by Temujin View Post
        did it work? or did it just melt away and form a multicoloured cheese sludge?
        You missed the part of holding rock steady at 75 degrees.......no it didn't melt. Cheese will sweat if you get it too warm and then that liquid will pick up even more smoke flavor. The trick to this 'cook' is keeping the fire really small and even better doing it on a cold day. My Eggs in the summer time have a dome temp of 100 degrees in the sun without any fire inside so summer is not a cheese smoking time of year.

This stuff is hard to describe. It has a bite from the smoke but a good flavor. Much different than that brown crap pepperidge farm pawns off as smoked cheese. You can't see a color difference at all.

One word to the wise. Let it set up and cool outside or wrap tightly and put it in the fridge. A guy I know didn't and stunk up his mighty bad and had you know what to pay with his wife LOL. I just left mine outside for an hour or two as it was getting dark and cold.
        As lord and master of your grill, you will welcome any opportunity to display your grilling prowess.
        Mario Batali, 2006

Comment

Is that legal?
          "The spirit is willing, but the flesh is spongy and bruised"
          Zap Brannigan. Futurama

Comment

smoking cheese today

Originally posted by dhuffjr View Post
            Placed some apple wood chips on the briquettes, a platesetter to cook indirect with a pan of ice to insure the cheese stayed cool and put Muenster, Swiss, Pepper Jack, and Sharp Cheddar on the grid to smoke.
            Hello dhuffjr.
            How have you been?
            Smoked cheese.
            That sounds pretty good.
            I guess American and Mozzarella cheeses wouldn't work very well.
            What discipline to smoke it.
            I would be tempted to eat some of the sticks off the grill.
            Thanks for sharing.
            "Advances in technology tend to overwhelm me."

Comment

The Muenster is soft. Folks do Brie and Gouda so I see no reason why mozzarella wouldn't work. American probably would too. If it didn't you'd just have cheese in the ice bath
              Mario Batali, 2006

Comment

Why smoke it? I would just eat it straight... ALL!
                All warfare is based on deception.
                Sun Tzu - Art of war - Chapter One - Laying Plans

Comment

An after picture for Dolley.

On the plate is some of the Muenster. In a foodsaver bag is Swiss, Cheddar, and PepperJack seperated with parchment paper.

The finished product has very little color change to it if any. The flavor is there though. I've done it with apple and pecan wood chips for smoke flavor. Couldn't tell a difference tonight when I tasted them side by side.

The brownish exterior on a lot of your smoked cheeses you'll find in stores is food coloring.
                  Mario Batali, 2006

Comment

haha! when you said smoking cheese, I thought you meant the drug!
                    Sail on Britannia.

Comment

Originally posted by sawman0311 View Post
                      haha! when you said smoking cheese, I thought you meant the drug!
                      not a good idea, when you get the munchies you would eat your stash!
                      Not lip service, nor obsequious homage to superiors, nor servile observance of forms and customs...the Australian army is proof that individualism is the best and not the worst foundation upon which to build up collective discipline - General Monash

Comment

im gonna smoke some fish over christmas, but no hoity egg, i'm gonna try a old pot belly stove with an old clothes dryer cylinder mounted on top of it!

Comment

Originally posted by Temujin View Post
                          im gonna smoke some fish over christmas, but no hoity egg, i'm gonna try a old pot belly stove with an old clothes dryer cylinder mounted on top of it!
                          All kinds of homemade cookers out there. Folks have won competions with trash can smokers. Please please please just start with a new can
                          Mario Batali, 2006

Comment

Originally posted by dhuffjr View Post
                            All kinds of homemade cookers out there. Folks have won competions with trash can smokers. Please please please just start with a new can
                            Cool, ill start transforming my plastic bin now

Comment

Metal silly man . You can still find them.....if ya look.
                              Mario Batali, 2006

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X