Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Xmas Treats...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Xmas Treats...

    Get the ball rolling...

    Real Mince Pies...

    For the 12 days of Christmas, partake of the following English (maybe others as well) tradition.

    Individual Minced Beef (plus onion if you prefer) pies. Eat one per each of the 12 days of Christmas, and each pie will bring one months luck the following year!

    Frumenty...

    1 : The typical method of preparation was to parboil wholegrains of wheat in water, then strain off and boil in milk, sweeten the boiled product with sugar, and flavour with cinnamon and other spices.

    2 : Take clean wheat and bray it in a mortar till the hulls be all gone off, (this broadly equates to modern bulgur or cracked wheat) and seethe it till it burst, and take it up (out of the water) and let it cool; and take clean, fresh broth and sweet milk of almonds, or sweet milk of kine (cow's milk) and temper it all, and take yolks of eggs. Boil it a little and wet it down and mess it forth (mess here in the sense of "serve to table", the same root as naval mess) with fat venison or fresh mutton.

    3 : Somerset-Wiltshire: About forty years ago (from an unspecified date) country women in shawls and sun bonnets used to come to the market at Weston-super-Mare in little carts carrying little basins of new wheat boiled to a jelly, which was put into a large pot with milk, eggs, and sultanas, and was lightly cooked; the resulting mixture was poured into pie-dishes and served on mid-Lent Sunday and during the ensuing week. Frumenty is still prepared at Devizes for Mothering Sunday


    Note that if you are having Frumenty as just a drink on its own, it was/is common for extra brown sugar to be added and then the whole mixture to be heated with a 'hot iron immersion'. Once you've tasted it, all other party celebratory drinks just fade away...

    Enjoy!

    Gaz

  • #2
    On the issue of Christmas treats I have one question: where did fruit cake get such a bad rap? I always hear people complaining about fruitcake. I actually kind of like fruit cake.
    A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

    Comment


    • #3
      Bolo-Rei in Portugal, I too am not a fan of it.
      I'll take the X-Mas Tree Roll anyday over it.
      All warfare is based on deception.
      Sun Tzu - Art of war - Chapter One - Laying Plans


      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by allsirgarnet View Post
        Get the ball rolling...

        Real Mince Pies...

        For the 12 days of Christmas, partake of the following English (maybe others as well) tradition.

        Individual Minced Beef (plus onion if you prefer) pies. Eat one per each of the 12 days of Christmas, and each pie will bring one months luck the following year!

        Frumenty...

        1 : The typical method of preparation was to parboil wholegrains of wheat in water, then strain off and boil in milk, sweeten the boiled product with sugar, and flavour with cinnamon and other spices.

        2 : Take clean wheat and bray it in a mortar till the hulls be all gone off, (this broadly equates to modern bulgur or cracked wheat) and seethe it till it burst, and take it up (out of the water) and let it cool; and take clean, fresh broth and sweet milk of almonds, or sweet milk of kine (cow's milk) and temper it all, and take yolks of eggs. Boil it a little and wet it down and mess it forth (mess here in the sense of "serve to table", the same root as naval mess) with fat venison or fresh mutton.

        3 : Somerset-Wiltshire: About forty years ago (from an unspecified date) country women in shawls and sun bonnets used to come to the market at Weston-super-Mare in little carts carrying little basins of new wheat boiled to a jelly, which was put into a large pot with milk, eggs, and sultanas, and was lightly cooked; the resulting mixture was poured into pie-dishes and served on mid-Lent Sunday and during the ensuing week. Frumenty is still prepared at Devizes for Mothering Sunday


        Note that if you are having Frumenty as just a drink on its own, it was/is common for extra brown sugar to be added and then the whole mixture to be heated with a 'hot iron immersion'. Once you've tasted it, all other party celebratory drinks just fade away...

        Enjoy!

        Gaz
        Like the idea of the pies.
        Frumenty? I'm in Devon over Christmass (Penstone nr Crediton), so will have to ask for it. Sounds vile though .
        How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
        Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
          Like the idea of the pies.
          Frumenty? I'm in Devon over Christmass (Penstone nr Crediton), so will have to ask for it. Sounds vile though .
          Frumenty is a little odd, because the various recipes tend to place it half way between a drink and a solid food. I've always considered it the latter and I would best describe it as follows...

          Sweet English Porridge

          ... that can be sweetened to taste, that takes well to added sprits (rum etc), that can be consumed hot or cold, that can be partaken alone or as a compliment to meat dishes and finally can even be drunk (as in my hot iron immersion footnote)!.

          If its a little daunting, advert if you will to the following wonderful Christmas drink...

          Traditional English Wassail (Christmas Punch)

          Recipe...

          4 small whole eating apples
          2 cloves
          1/2 cup brown sugar
          1 cup cream sherry
          1 cup cocktail sherry
          1 cinnamon stick
          9 cups brown ale
          Rind of two oranges, peeled thinly

          Set oven to 350 degrees F. Stick one clove into each apple and place apples into an ovenproof baking dish. Pour the sugar over them. Then add both kinds of sherry, and the cinnamon stick, and bake for about 20 minutes; remove from oven when apples are soft and begin to brown. Transfer the apples to a large saucepan and pour in the ale and add the orange rinds. Heat just until simmering begins, strain off any solids and serve hot in mugs or heatproof punch cups or glasses.


          Regards

          Gaz

          Comment


          • #6
            If I can remember to, i'll try to post a traditional English Christmas recipe each day...

            Port and Prune Fool...

            Ingredients: (serves four)

            10 fl oz (284 ml) of double cream
            15½ ozs (439 g) sized tin of prunes, without stones
            4 tablespoons of Port
            2 ozs (50g) soft brown sugar
            A pinch of grated nutmeg
            Chopped nuts for decoration

            Method:

            1. Whip the double cream until it is stiff.
            2. Drain any syrup from the prunes then chop them into small pieces.
            3. Fold the chopped prunes into the cream, then add the brown sugar and the port.
            4. Fold in a pinch of nutmeg to taste.
            5. Spoon the mixture into cool or chilled individual serving glasses and sprinkle with chopped nuts - serve immediately!


            Enjoy

            Gaz

            Comment


            • #7
              Intriguing and interesting recipes, every one! Thanks for sharing Gaz!
              "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

              Comment


              • #8
                A simple treat

                Egg nog and Crown Royal, with proportions to taste.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Biscuit View Post
                  Egg nog and Crown Royal, with proportions to taste.
                  Dark rum or Southern Comfort with egg nog is nice as well.
                  "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by johnbryan View Post
                    Dark rum or Southern Comfort with egg nog is nice as well.
                    Ooh, ooh! I hadn't thought of Dark Rum. SoCo is the kiss of death...ugh!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Biscuit View Post
                      Ooh, ooh! I hadn't thought of Dark Rum. SoCo is the kiss of death...ugh!
                      Dark rum and egg nog is my all time favorite Christmas Eve tipple.
                      "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Carol Singing Cake...

                        By tradition taken out to the carol singers and served with Ginger Cordial or Mulled Wine.

                        Ingredients:

                        675g or 1 ½ lbs plain four
                        225g or 8oz butter
                        225g or 8oz dark, soft brown sugar
                        25g or 1 oz ground cloves
                        675g or 1 ½ lbs black treacle
                        4 eggs, well beaten together
                        1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
                        Milk as required.


                        Method:

                        1. Rub the butter into the flour, using your finger tips, until the mixture looks like fine breadcrumbs.
                        2. Now stir in the sugar and the cloves.
                        3. Add the treacle and the well beaten eggs.
                        4. Add the bicarbonate of soda which has been mixed in a LITTLE milk to dissolve it.
                        5. Pre-heat the oven to 170'C / 325'f / gas mark 3
                        6. Put the cake mixture into a well greased roasting tin and bake for 1 ¾ hours.

                        Serve cold in thick slices or wedges with a suitable warming drink.


                        Enjoy

                        Gaz

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Just researched the following to go with the Carol Singing Cake...

                          Traditional English Mulled Wine (Col. Francis Negus 1732)...

                          Serves a party of twelve.

                          Ingredients:

                          2 1/2 cups water
                          1 1/4 cups sugar
                          36 whole cloves
                          6 cinnamon sticks
                          2 nutmeg, grated
                          3 lemons
                          2 oranges
                          2 cups lemon juice
                          4 bottles red wine
                          Lemon slices for garnish


                          Method:

                          1. Remove the zest from the lemons and oranges.
                          2. Squeeze the lemons and oranges, adding the juice to the 2 cups of lemon juice.
                          3. In a pot mix the water, sugar, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, and citrus peels.
                          4. Bring to a boil for 5 minutes.
                          5. Strain the syrup into a large pot, and add the lemon-orange juice.
                          6. Add the red wine and heat through without boiling.
                          7. Lower the heat Keep covered on lowest heat.

                          Serve with lemon slices.


                          Enjoy

                          Gaz

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Tamales!!!

                            Follow the step-by-step directions here: Tamale Recipe


                            You'll need these things...





                            • Pork roast (6 to 8 lbs.) Be smart, find it on sale!
                            • Corn Oil
                            • Large fryer size chicken (about 5 lbs.)
                            • Salt
                            • Black pepper
                            • Garlic Powder (buy large size)
                            • Ground Comino (cumin) (large size)
                            • Cumin Seeds
                            • Gebhardt’s Chili Powder
                            • Paprika
                            • 4 lb bag Corn Masa (We like MaSeCa)
                            • Real Corn Shucks
                            If you prefer a non-meat filled version...You can fill the tamales with cheese, peppers and/or refried beans (black or pinto beans).

                            My wife's Mom used to make a desert version filled with raisins...I prefer the hot & spicy version with shredded pork & chicken or Monterey Jack cheese and jalapeno or serrano peppers.
                            Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Biscuit View Post
                              Ooh, ooh! I hadn't thought of Dark Rum. SoCo is the kiss of death...ugh!
                              For a while it is necter, until the sickness or hangover takes hold .


                              Off topic: There is a place near where I live called 'Comfort'... I always thought it would be cool to say "I live in Comfort" .
                              SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X