Explaining Beer to a kid :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Explaining Beer to a kid :)

I had this funny thought moment just now. A twist on the ole beer argument.

How do you explain the beer argument so a kid can relate to it?

If you've never drank beer, and are underage, you wouldn't have a means to relate.

Sooooo

American beer. We adult beer drinkers all know that American beer is weak crap that is somewhat unsatisfying and only good for flushing out your bladder every 15 minutes past the 10th can as you wait in vain for any sort of buzz

But a kid wouldn't know anything about that.

Sooooo

You explain to the kid, well kiddo, you know how there are many types of fruit drink? Some are great tasting and really zap that thirst. And you know the really cheap generic juice that mom always wants to get because it's on sale? Well American beer is like that lame no flavour cheap volume friendly junk mom buys
    It takes crummy, and it's only good for making you pee.
    Life is change. Built models for decades.
    Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
    I didn't for a long time either.

Beer is pretty gross in general.

Comment

American beer. We adult beer drinkers all know that American beer is weak crap that is somewhat unsatisfying and only good for flushing out your bladder every 15 minutes past the 10th can as you wait in vain for any sort of buzz
      Change American to North American then you might have something. I don't know of anything coming from North of the Border that I would rate as a 1st class beer. Most are better than any Bud's but then........is that saying much. Try a Brooklyn Lager, it can hold it's owen against some of the better Central European beers.

HP
      "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint View Post
        Change American to North American then you might have something. I don't know of anything coming from North of the Border that I would rate as a 1st class beer. Most are better than any Bud's but then........is that saying much. Try a Brooklyn Lager, it can hold it's owen against some of the better Central European beers.

HP

I just finished sipping on a couple "Bigfoot Barleywines" from the Sierra Nevada Brewery and I can tell you that Budweiser never brewed anything as good as this. You'd practically have to go back to Blighty to find a beer like this.
        "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Maud'dib View Post
          I had this funny thought moment just now. A twist on the ole beer argument.

How do you explain the beer argument so a kid can relate to it?

If you've never drank beer, and are underage, you wouldn't have a means to relate.

Sooooo

But a kid wouldn't know anything about that.

Sooooo

You explain to the kid, well kiddo, you know how there are many types of fruit drink? Some are great tasting and really zap that thirst. And you know the really cheap generic juice that mom always wants to get because it's on sale? Well American beer is like that lame no flavour cheap volume friendly junk mom buys
          It takes crummy, and it's only good for making you pee.
          I take it that you haven't tried many American Microbrewed beers.

Comment

I don't consider micro breweries as being national actually.

If no one has ever heard of your beer 100 miles away from where it comes from, it isn't indicative of a nation.

Coors lite for instance, that's American beer. And it's not good for anything.

Labatts Blue is Canadian beer. I like it, but it's usually severely ordinary
            Usually a great deal better than a mainstream American beer, but then ANYthing is better than mainstream American beer Pond water is better than Coors lite
            Life is change. Built models for decades.
            Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
            I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Yeah but Coors lite isn't a mainstream American beer. Even at university, when people want cheap beer to get plastered, they joke about Coors lite being on the bottom of the rankings, even amongst bad beer. So, it's not really fair to call it representative of American beer. Not that any beer really tastes good to begin with...

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Maud'dib View Post
                I don't consider micro breweries as being national actually.

If no one has ever heard of your beer 100 miles away from where it comes from, it isn't indicative of a nation.

Coors lite for instance, that's American beer. And it's not good for anything.

Labatts Blue is Canadian beer. I like it, but it's usually severely ordinary
                Usually a great deal better than a mainstream American beer, but then ANYthing is better than mainstream American beer Pond water is better than Coors lite

Then perhaps try Samuel Adams, Sierra Nevada, or Anchor Steam beer. They're all available coast to coast and more indicative of traditional beer styles than "mainstream" American beer. FYI "Steambeer" is an American invention and Anchor Steam Beer has a patent on both its name and process.

Comment

The best beers are not mass marketed in any country, and are not exported to other countries. The generally German beer I have seen for sale in Canada I would not buy if I was in Germany and can get good german beer.
                  FoxNEWS "The World is unfair and we are running scared"

Comment

All I drink is American Beer. Michael Jackson (not the child molesting pop icon) almost single handedly brought craft beer into the mainstream. Add Sam Adams to the equation and you see the huge influx of people who look for a good beer to drink. While there is a lot of pot shots taken at the Sam Adam's line from Craft Beer drinkers, no one can deny that without them, a lot of successful small batch brewers wouldn't be around today.

Like some other posters were saying too, there is plenty of great craft beer available from coast to coast. You just have to know more about beer than the Macros.

Ben
                    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."— Bertrand Russell

Comment

Here's how I explain beer to a kid: It tastes like crap, and mainly losers drink it.

Comment

For the record, Samuel Adams was the first American beer that was allowed to be imported into Germany and sold there because it is an all-malt beer and strictly adhears to the German Rheinheitsgabote Brewing Laws.

Comment

Originally posted by Leftie View Post
                          All I drink is American Beer. Michael Jackson (not the child molesting pop icon) almost single handedly brought craft beer into the mainstream. Add Sam Adams to the equation and you see the huge influx of people who look for a good beer to drink. While there is a lot of pot shots taken at the Sam Adam's line from Craft Beer drinkers, no one can deny that without them, a lot of successful small batch brewers wouldn't be around today.

Like some other posters were saying too, there is plenty of great craft beer available from coast to coast. You just have to know more about beer than the Macros.

Ben
                          Agreed. Jim Koch is a brewing and marketing genius who single handedly created a whole new niche in the American brewing market by returning to the old, established ways and roots of brewing. The Samuel Adams line of beers are the results of his endless labors.

Comment

Originally posted by Alina View Post
                            Beer is pretty gross in general.
                            Try a cherry-wheat beer and then let me know what you think of it.

Comment

Originally posted by PatBC View Post
                              The best beers are not mass marketed in any country, and are not exported to other countries. The generally German beer I have seen for sale in Canada I would not buy if I was in Germany and can get good german beer.
                              While its true the best beers aren't marketed to the same extent its not true to say they're not exported. I was in Ohio in '01 and to my delight I managed to pick up a cargo of Fullers London Pride in a Wallmart-esq store. Proper beer that.

I did have to bring two bottles of Irn-Bru over with me though.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X