Chili time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chili time

This is the start of one of my favorite times of the year. Football, leaves changing color, hockey, and chili!

I like all kinds of chili, from white bean, to turkey meat, to bland stuff.

My favorite chili is of course something spicy hot with a mesquite flavor to it. Last year at work we had a chili cook off and about 15 people brought in their homemade favorites. Great time was had by all, at least until after lunch.

But the 'O' ring isn't so happy when the body finishes with the stuff.
    Islam... it's a blast - literally.

I love chili, but only if it has kick. I think that chili without being spicy should be called something else, as the name would seem misleading.
    Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Originally posted by Reiryc View Post
      Last year at work we had a chili cook off and about 15 people brought in their homemade favorites.
      Well???

Did you win, place, or show?

Comment

Originally posted by Miss.Saigon View Post
        Well???

Did you win, place, or show?
        None of the above...

I'm really good at eating chili, not so good at making it!
        Islam... it's a blast - literally.

Comment

Originally posted by salinator View Post
          I love chili, but only if it has kick. I think that chili without being spicy should be called something else, as the name would seem misleading.
          It's gotta have a kick! As a pepperhead since age 7, and a home -organic grower of chiles from North, Central and South America, Asia, Europe, and Africa, I do love my peppers BTW, for what it's worth, ALL peppers originated in northern S. America, they were carried by birds to the rest of the world.
          "Every man should be his own Guru; every woman her own Gurette" ...Ed Abbey

Comment

Originally posted by Wustenfuchs View Post
            BTW, for what it's worth, ALL peppers originated in northern S. America, they were carried by birds to the rest of the world.
            Yes. I think this theory was proven at Cyberia's bird feeder

Comment

It's gotta have a kick! As a pepperhead since age 7, and a home -organic grower of chiles from North, Central and South America, Asia, Europe, and Africa, I do love my peppers BTW, for what it's worth, ALL peppers originated in northern S. America, they were carried by birds to the rest of the world.
              I'm a pepper nut myself. I use Dave's Insane Hot Sauce as a dip for tortilla chips, but I do have to take a five minute break after each chip. I won a Jalapeno eating contest at a Mexican food fair when I was eleven. The prize was a gallon jar of Jalapeno stuffed with Habanero and marinated with Serrano!

You might be right about the origin of peppers, I think the earliest evidence of pepper cultivation was found in Equador.

Prayers.

BoRG

Comment

I love Chili, but, you're looking at a person that does NOT do spicey, not even a bit, not even a little.

Not that I can't handle extreme situations on the tastebuds. Try drinking some pure alum sometime. I can do that with no adverse effects whatsoever.

But spicey is off the list.

I had a thread in here a while back that has my own no dead tastebuds approach. But I find most guys will go for spicey. Most guys are nuts too. Most guys I guess need to reinforce their manliness in front of their buddies by injuring themselves hehe.
                Life is change. Built models for decades.
                Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
                I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Agreed! I make a pretty decent pot of chili myself that uses a number of different types of peppers. The chili has several layers of flavor. It's subtlely hot, but won't drive you crazy. Perfect cold weather food.
                  "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

As you may know from some of my prior posts I love to cook, especially for a small group of friends, usually six or eight. We usually get together for Sunday dinner at my place. However, I do not have a good chili recipe.

If convenient for you, please post your favorite recipe. I love spicy and live near the Pike Place Market in Seattle, so I can get nearly any ingredient required. I especially would like to try some of the Texas chili recipes; I have read about Texas chili forever, but have never had the opportunity to travel there.

Thanks in advance.
                    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen." - Albert Einstein

Comment

I'm a pepper nut myself. I use Dave's Insane Hot Sauce as a dip for tortilla chips, but I do have to take a five minute break after each chip. I won a Jalapeno eating contest at a Mexican food fair when I was eleven. The prize was a gallon jar of Jalapeno stuffed with Habanero and marinated with Serrano!

You might be right about the origin of peppers, I think the earliest evidence of pepper cultivation was found in Equador.
                      Dave's Insanity is plenty hot but I think it (and any other sauce with extracts as an ingredient) tastes like burnt socks. If you ever see CaJohn's "Ace" sauce give it a try, www.cajohns.com it's hot and tastes great.
                      Hmmmm so you won a jalapeno eating contest, since we're both Bay Areans (Bay Areans?? Sounds like an aquatic neo-Nazi group!) perhaps well meet in a habanero competition someday.

Comment

Dave's Insanity is plenty hot but I think it (and any other sauce with extracts as an ingredient) tastes like burnt socks. If you ever see CaJohn's "Ace" sauce give it a try, www.cajohns.com it's hot and tastes great.
                        Hmmmm so you won a jalapeno eating contest, since we're both Bay Areans (Bay Areans?? Sounds like an aquatic neo-Nazi group!) perhaps well meet in a habanero competition someday.
                        I never did eat that jar of peppers. It is still a trophy at my mom's house.

I used to cook for the family because my mom had to work and did not come home till about 8PM, and my older sister was always imbedded into school work and volunteer programs. I made a soup out of a cookbook that called for tomatillos. The store that I bought the ingredients from had the signs for tomatillos and habaneros mixed up. As I was cutting the haberneros that I thought were tomatillos, I was thinking that this is spicy little tomato! That sour kind of smell from the habaneros as I sliced it seemed to convince me it was a peppery type of small tomatoes. I ended up putting about 30 habaneros into the soup.
                        Last edited by Salinator; 19 Sep 07, 23:18.

Prayers.

BoRG

Comment

I never did eat that jar of peppers. It is still a trophy at my mom's house.

I used to cook for the family because my mom had to work and did not come home till about 8PM, and my older sister was always imbedded into school work and volunteer programs. I made a soup out of a cookbook that called for tomatillos. The store that I bought the ingredients from had the signs for tomatillos and habaneros mixed up. As I was cutting the haberneros that I thought were tomatillos, I was thinking that this is spicy little tomato! That sour kind of smell from the habaneros as I sliced it seemed to convince me it was a peppery type of small tomatoes. I ended up putting about 30 habaneros into the soup.
                          LOL, OUCH!! I wouldn't mind finding habaneros and tomatillos with the names crossed, could really get a bargin on the habaneros! Down here in San Jose habaneros go anywhere from $4.99 to $6.99 per lb., tomatillos go for about .79 per lb.
                          Have you heard of the latest world's hottest? Red Savina is about 400,000 to 500,000 SUs, the Bhut Jolokia out of northern India comes in at a whopping 1million Scovies!!! I'm growing 4 Bhut Jolokia plants this year but they have just begun to flower, don't think I'll get any peppers out of them as the season is winding down.
                          Ya haven't lived 'till you've roasted a habanero over an open flame, drizzled it with fresh lime juice and coarse salt. Woooo Hooooo!!!

Comment

Love chili aswell, unfortunatly the wife isn't a big fan of hot food. I like mine with a kick aswell.
                            All warfare is based on deception.
                            Sun Tzu - Art of war - Chapter One - Laying Plans

Comment

You ever eat a handful of the Jalapeno Seeds that are inside the pepper itself?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X