Tribute to the English bakery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tribute to the English bakery

I say it once more ,these English Pathé reports are the greatest testimonies to an era ,that the world tvs have ever realised.
    Filmed in vivid 35mm in color , with talented operators ,they make my day every time.

And this very one gave me an irrepressible desire for an Apfelstrudel.

That rug really tied the room together

What have you been Seb?

Moi, je prefere une boulangerie française any time of the day.

Et avec ceci:

BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

There has been a revival of artisan baking in the UK as opposed to the steam cooked rubbish one gets in the supermarkets. The best is as tasty as anything you'll get in France albeit different in texture and taste. Problem with both French and British artisan bread is that it doesn't keep and needs to be eaten not long after baking.
      Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
      Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by Major Sennef View Post
        What have you been Seb?

Moi, je prefere une boulangerie française any time of the day.

Et avec ceci:

I was trying to be light and polite , fair ,well educated , in order to get the taste at least once during my presence here
        And i am , joking aside , completely crazy of the pastries , breads , sweets , short breads ,pies , from GB
        That rug really tied the room together

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
          There has been a revival of artisan baking in the UK as opposed to the steam cooked rubbish one gets in the supermarkets. The best is as tasty as anything you'll get in France albeit different in texture and taste. Problem with both French and British artisan bread is that it doesn't keep and needs to be eaten not long after baking.
          There is still the tradition of buying bread every day in France and Belgium, and it is better than the plastic bread we get here.

OTOH, where Britain has always shined is in its savoury pastry items - Various pies (eg Scotch, Pork, Steak & Onion), Cornish Pasty etc etc, as long as they are made by a local source.
          How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
          Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
            There is still the tradition of buying bread every day in France and Belgium, and it is better than the plastic bread we get here.

OTOH, where Britain has always shined is in its savoury pastry items - Various pies (eg Scotch, Pork, Steak & Onion), Cornish Pasty etc etc, as long as they are made by a local source.
            I'm guessing that Frenchmen -- and women -- are more liable to commute via public transportation than Britons: they can stop off either before or after boarding their train and buy fresh goodies for dinner. It's certainly one of the advantages of living and working in a place like NYC, where we can get fresh vittles from local shops on a daily basis. I live within walking distance of one of the few free-standing butchers still in business -- just like A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, but in a much nicer neighborhood. They're expensive as hell, but they're worth it.
            I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

We have a bread maker which gave us fresh bread every day. Used it for six months but now somewhere in the garage. Buying a bigger house so may be able to use it again...
              "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

Originally posted by Surrey View Post
                We have a bread maker which gave us fresh bread every day. Used it for six months but now somewhere in the garage. Buying a bigger house so may be able to use it again...
                Six months????? To cheap to buy some fresh bread?
                "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

The Sicilian kids on my block used to raid the local Italian bakery for fresh bread. They scooped out the dough and left the crusts. Never understood that . . . .
                  I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Hey, ...

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
                    The Sicilian kids on my block used to raid the local Italian bakery for fresh bread. They scooped out the dough and left the crusts. Never understood that . . . .
                    ... they're Sicilian, they were making a point and leaving a message.
                    "I am Groot"
                    - Groot

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X