MRE's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MRE's

With hurricane season coming up, I want to get a couple cases of MREs to have in case of emergency.

I could use any advice on what to get and where to get it. Thanks.
    ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

I like camp/ backpacker food much more than MRE's, the real concern is potable water. Here's a review of several backpacker water purification systems...

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Backpa...Filter-Reviews
    Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by Gixxer86g View Post
      With hurricane season coming up, I want to get a couple cases of MREs to have in case of emergency.

Where to get it? Google. What? The new stuff is past my time. Lived off the early version for the best part of a year in 69-70. Beats the hell out of C rats which are still better than going to bed hungry, just barely
      "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

What do you want with your MRE's? Do you care what is in the accessory packs? Some stores offer the equivalent. Academy and Bass Pro Shops come to mind. Mountain House offers a range of different kinds of freeze dried foods. I get spam from Cheaper Than Dirt and Ammo To Go all the time and I have bought from them in the past.

If you want to cherry pick what you get, Mountain House can be bought in separate packs.

Pruitt
        Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
          I like camp/ backpacker food much more than MRE's, the real concern is potable water. Here's a review of several backpacker water purification systems...

PUR has some of the best. When getting rid of all my gear my Pur filtration was the only they I kept plus a stove or two.

Pru's idea is great. If you don't have to carry it then the good old can goods are just fine. Biggest worry is a water supply and beer.
          "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

I bought a Katadyn water filter and a plastic bag that fills a bath tub. I just moved so I can't say where they are right now. I may buy another filter. The Katadyn company offers all different sizes.

Pruitt
            Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
              Where to get it? Google. What? The new stuff is past my time. Lived off the early version for the best part of a year in 69-70. Beats the hell out of C rats which are still better than going to bed hungry, just barely
              Google, of course. But I want the opinions of folks I trust. Like the people here.
              ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
                What do you want with your MRE's? Do you care what is in the accessory packs? Some stores offer the equivalent. Academy and Bass Pro Shops come to mind. Mountain House offers a range of different kinds of freeze dried foods. I get spam from Cheaper Than Dirt and Ammo To Go all the time and I have bought from them in the past.

If you want to cherry pick what you get, Mountain House can be bought in separate packs.

Pruitt
                Thanks, Pruitt. This is what I'm looking for.
                ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

Comment

Originally posted by Bwaha View Post

Good advice here as well. I always have a few cases of bottled water, and beer on hand. But that'll only last a couple weeks, the beer much less.
                  ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

Comment

Really, I mean military MREs.

Like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Meals-Ready--...s=military+mre

And how about the Life Straw?

https://www.amazon.com/LifeStraw-LSP...437HKBEJPC3F1Z
                    ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

Comment

MREs are a combat ration. They're very rich. If you're not burning 4,000-plus calories a day, they're not for you. At the very least, they promote constipation.

Bwaha's right: look at commercial camper/backpack food before going with MREs. Your intestines will thank you. If you're just looking to hole up at home, then most common canned/prepackaged goods and a small propane stove should suffice.

If you're expecting a power outage of limited duration, then a back-up generator can keep your refrigerator going for a spell. There are models available that can, at the turn of a knob, switch from gasoline to natural gas.

And batteries, baby wipes, first aid, . . . . .
                      I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
                        MREs are a combat ration. They're very rich. If you're not burning 4,000-plus calories a day, they're not for you. At the very least, they promote constipation.

Bwaha's right: look at commercial camper/backpack food before going with MREs. Your intestines will thank you. If you're just looking to hole up at home, then most common canned/prepackaged goods and a small propane stove should suffice.

If you're expecting a power outage of limited duration, then a back-up generator can keep your refrigerator going for a spell. There are models available that can, at the turn of a knob, switch from gasoline to natural gas.

And batteries, baby wipes, first aid, . . . . .
                        Thanks Marc.

Had to resort to baby wipes after Sandy. Thankfully only for a couple days.

Actually with a lot of canned stuff, like Chef Boyardee, you don't really need to heat it up. And there's Spam and canned Tuna.

Stuff to think about.
                        Last edited by Gixxer86g; 27 Aug 16, 02:54.
                        ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

Comment

If you are not travelling, buy cans. Much cheaper, and lasts longer.

Dried goods are also cheap, but you need water. I've noticed Bwaha has already addressed this.

MRE's tend to be really expensive. Go can ..
                          How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
                          Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

Ok, so I need to rethink this. I need more than food in my emergency kit.

I already have basic first aid stuff, but the emphasis is on basic; I need something better.

I need to think about water beyond the cases I have around.

Flashlights and batteries, well I have that covered.

I need to get a basic camp stove, like what Coleman makes.

We already have a generator. But that's short term.

A lot of you folks are well prepared. So how about a list of what one should have?

Edit: I'm still going to buy a case of MREs. Just because I want to try them.......
                            ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

Comment

Good advice here as well. I always have a few cases of bottled water, and beer on hand. But that'll only last a couple weeks, the beer much less.
                              I'm a bit off a prepper so I've got a small pack in my trunk with a survival kit. Can't hurt to be prepared for a disaster of some kind...
                              Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X