Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weinberg moves from philosophy to history.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Doctor
    replied
    A true philosopher's meal includes Fosters...

Leave a comment:

• MarkV
    replied
    Nietzsche always needs to be taken with a large pinch of salt

Leave a comment:

• Nick the Noodle
    replied
    Originally posted by BELGRAVE View Post
    As long as the trimmings include HP (Brown) sauce.

Nothing better while comparing and contrasting the thinking of Thomas Hobbes with John Locke.
    Perhaps a decent butchers sausage in a multi grain bap is called for in the example you quoted ?

This is especially true when considering Nietzsche vs Kant, or with a nod to the OP, QM vs Relativity.

In this case, the trimmings would need to include a decent English mustard, and the bap covered in a decent salted butter.

Leave a comment:

• BELGRAVE
    replied
    Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
    When I think of this type of debate, I personally like a bacon sandwich at hand. On the right bread, with trimmings .
    As long as the trimmings include HP (Brown) sauce.

Nothing better while comparing and contrasting the thinking of Thomas Hobbes with John Locke.

Leave a comment:

• Nick the Noodle
    replied
    Originally posted by wolfhnd View Post
    "The value today of philosophy to physics seems to me to be something like the value of early nation-states to their peoples. It is only a small exaggeration to say that, until the introduction of the post office, the chief service of nation-states was to protect their peoples from other nation-states. The insights of philosophers have occasionally benefited physicists, but generally in a negative fashion—by protecting them from the preconceptions of other philosophers."

Steven Weinberg

Physicist’s story of science breaks historians’ rules

“It is the history of the change in the attitudes of what was there to know, and how do you find it out, that seems to me the most interesting … story.”

https://www.sciencenews.org/blog/con...rules?tgt=more

I'm beginning to think physicists enjoy controversy.
    When I think of this type of debate, I personally like a bacon sandwich at hand. On the right bread, with trimmings .

Leave a comment:

• wolfhnd
    replied
    Originally posted by MarkV View Post
    How is this a culinary-related discussion? Wrong forum?

Yes it is sorry about that. But some light conversation is nice with a meal.

If mod wants to move or delete this post feel free.

Leave a comment:

• MarkV
    replied
    Originally posted by wolfhnd View Post
    "The value today of philosophy to physics seems to me to be something like the value of early nation-states to their peoples. It is only a small exaggeration to say that, until the introduction of the post office, the chief service of nation-states was to protect their peoples from other nation-states. The insights of philosophers have occasionally benefited physicists, but generally in a negative fashion—by protecting them from the preconceptions of other philosophers."

Steven Weinberg

“It is the history of the change in the attitudes of what was there to know, and how do you find it out, that seems to me the most interesting … story.”

How is this a culinary-related discussion? Wrong forum?

Leave a comment:

• wolfhnd
    started a topic Weinberg moves from philosophy to history.

Weinberg moves from philosophy to history.

Steven Weinberg

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X