X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Le burger' now top selling dish in French restaurants

'Le burger' now top selling dish in French restaurants, new study reveals

EXCERPTS:
    For the guardians of French gastronomy, the prospect of being served something as unsophisticated as a slab of mincemeat with a bap and slice of cheese would long have been considered sacrilegious.

Today, however, the tables have turned. In a culinary revolution, three quarters of French restaurants now sell hamburgers and 80 per cent of these say it has become their top-selling dish, according to a new study.

"Le burger" – as the French dub the quintessentially American invention to the despair of linguistic purists of the Académie Française – has become a feature of even the most illustrious eateries.

Indeed, such is its success that sales are set to overtake those of the classic "jambon beurre" (ham and butter baguette), the nation's staple lunchtime sandwich.

Last year, the French chomped their way through 1.19 billion burgers, an 11 per cent rise on the previous year, while "le jambon beurre" fell to 1.23 billion.

In truth, the French have long been lovers of burgers in fast-food outlets. France is McDonald's biggest market in the world outside of the US and was practically the only nation in the world where the chain posted a rise in sales last year.
    However, Mr Boutboul said the reason for the burger's phenomenal success in France has been its spread from fast-food to more traditional sit-down restaurants, even top-tier ones.

Indeed, the burger can be found at such top-notch restaurants as Alain Ducasse's Le Relais du Parc or Joêl Robuchon's L'Atelier.
    Speaking about the rise of the burger, Mr Boutboul said: "It all started in 2010 when the Michelin-starred chef Yannick Alléno launched his burger à la carte in the Le Maurice (a Parisian five-star hotel) and won the title 'best burger in the world'. That was the beginning of interest in this sandwich, which was until then a little derided."

France is set to see a new invasion of burger joints in the coming months with Five Guys, the high-end hamburger chain that Barack Obama once dubbed "the best in the world", opening its first outlet at Paris' Gare du Nord train station in the coming weeks.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...y-reveals.html

It's the end of civilization as we know it...

Here, in L.A. the burger has taken on many forms. One of the most popular recent versions is the Umami burger which has burgers with things like truffle oil, arugula, korean gochujang sauce, umami sauces. Very popular and quite pricey, not at all like going to Macs or such.

Comment

IF we want to talk about over rated then it's 5 Guy's. Nothing special about it.

Comment

I always thought it was a Royale with cheese?
        "Artillery lends dignity to what might otherwise be a vulgar brawl." - Frederick the Great

Comment

So Seb now eats at McDonalds?

"To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

One of my favorite burgers was at a place called The Habit which was located in that den of iniquity Isla Vista, CA. At the time, it was a family owned pair of stores, one in IV and the other in town, Santa Barbara. For a poor college student, it had relatively inexpensive burgers, good variety, still far better than Macs, and large quantities of fries and refills. The burger I and my roommates liked was a chiliburger which was amazing. Somewhat similar to Tommys of L.A. it was larger and fresher. Plus you could add all sorts of condiments to it like extra cheeses, lettuce, bbq sauce, grilled onions etc. etc. For a kid playing lacrosse almost every day and running/biking his a** off all over IV, it was perfect. Couldn't do it nowadays as I'm sure I would physically keel over from that much calories but then, no prob.
            Sadly, they're now a big(ger) chain and have dropped the chiliburger from the lineup and have corporatized. OTOH, they have an excellent chicken salad (mixed salad with bbq chicken sliced across with bbs sauce as a dressing) and an excellent teriyaki burger to go with their char. Recommend it.

The Habit

Comment

I'd have to say that that is probably a lot of bullshit. For instance: "Last year, the French chomped their way through 1.19 billion burgers, an 11 per cent rise on the previous year, while "le jambon beurre" fell to 1.23 billion."

The French ate all the burgers? Could it be that the most popular tourist destination in the world might be selling some of those burgers to the 80+ million tourists that visit each year?

Just propaganda.
              John

Play La Marseillaise. Play it!

Comment

Originally posted by Surrey View Post
                So Seb now eats at McDonalds?

That's "le McDonald's", peasant...
                Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                  IF we want to talk about over rated then it's 5 Guy's. Nothing special about it.
                  If we want to talk about over-rated, we can talk about Red Robbin.
                  Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by JBark View Post
                    I'd have to say that that is probably a lot of bullshit. For instance: "Last year, the French chomped their way through 1.19 billion burgers, an 11 per cent rise on the previous year, while "le jambon beurre" fell to 1.23 billion."

The French ate all the burgers? Could it be that the most popular tourist destination in the world might be selling some of those burgers to the 80+ million tourists that visit each year?

Just propaganda.
                    In France, there is a burger meal - a form of steak hache - which is very popular with tourists. It's often served exactly like a burger, except it's simply a square of mincemeat cooked hot and fast, and looser in texture than a regular burger. The French often ate this meal, as it is often the cheapest substantial hot meal, one that is actually quite healthy when served with salad as well.
                    How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
                    Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

Originally posted by boomer400 View Post
                      Here, in L.A. the burger has taken on many forms. One of the most popular recent versions is the Umami burger which has burgers with things like truffle oil, arugula, korean gochujang sauce, umami sauces. Very popular and quite pricey, not at all like going to Macs or such.

Up here in NorCal...most places serve mini burgers called sliders.

Portions get smaller and prices get bigger.....
                      "Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

Next time your down here try the Hindquarter.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/hindquarter-...lle-santa-cruz

A bit expensive but the fare is excellent.

Dare you to miss out on the smoked prime rib...
                        Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
                          Next time your down here try the Hindquarter.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/hindquarter-...lle-santa-cruz

A bit expensive but the fare is excellent.

Dare you to miss out on the smoked prime rib...

I'll check them out. Thanks!

I usually just go to Betty Burgers whenever I am over the hill.

"Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

Yeah BB also has some good beer as well.
                            Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                              What!?! You don't like greasy, salty beef stuff on a stale bun?
                              Yeah, I wasn't impressed either...if you think 5Guys is bad, don't go to Friendly's. I guess the shakes are ok, there is enough salt on those things to de-ice you're driveway.
                              Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.
                              Russ Travers, CIA analyst, 2001

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X