The Old Fashioned Cocktail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Old Fashioned Cocktail

Somewhat recently (the past few months or so) I've become the bearer of libations when my friends and I kickback on a Friday night--and I enjoy it! While looking for drink recipes, of course I saw the "Old Fashioned," which seems appropriately named.

It also seems to have changed over the more recent decades into a more "foofy" drink from what I gather, but lately the original form(s) has/have come back.

I'm wondering how popular of a drink it is here around ACG? What variations have you had--or do you only know one kind, the good..ol' fashioned...Old Fashioned...?

(of course we need this emoticon: but we're classy, right, so we're not drinking out of the bottle!)
    "A foolish man thinks he knows everything if placed in unexpected difficulty; but he knows not what to answer, if to the test he is put."

--Hávamál

Looks ok, not really into cocktails - very occasional thing to me. Bloody Caesar (Canuck version with clamato), Martini or the only sweet cocktail I can stand - Caipirinha in very hot weather are my choices and only a few per year.

If I drink spirits I like the single malts, a nice brandy or VERY cold vodka.

Comment

I've been liking my take on it so far. I'm trying hold close to the original 1806/earlier 1800s recipe (when it was just known as the "Whiskey Cocktail; by the 1880s-90s it started to become the Old Fashioned, IIRC from research).

My recipe is:

-Drop 1 tsp each sugar and water into the bottom of an Old Fashioned glass (or comparative glass) (will try with less sugar since a good amount of it seems to stay at the bottom of the glass)

- Dash Angostura Bitters over the sugar and water a few times (Angostura is historically accurate I believe)

- Mix those ingredients with the spoon you've been using.

- Place ice in your glass

- Pour 1 shot Jameson over the rocks (haven't tried others yet, but will)

- Stir with that spoon.

- Swirl the drink either with a motion of your wrist or stir with the spoon, before each prolonged sip.

I can make it in about 46 seconds if I have all the bottles the sugar, spoon, and ice tray handy. Otherwise it's about 55 seconds, or a minute at most. I've been researching the drink and it looks like those newer recipes for this drink can take ten times as long!
      "A foolish man thinks he knows everything if placed in unexpected difficulty; but he knows not what to answer, if to the test he is put."

--Hávamál

Comment

Okay I've tried this with some Jim Beam and I think I definitely would prefer it with Jameson. I acquired some Evan Williams tonight for further empirical tests tomorrow.

--Hávamál

Comment

Warning there are places in this weary old world where having ice in your drink is risky unless you've made it yourself using water you can know is clean. In some 3rd world nations I wouldn't risk ice in the bar of even big tourist hotels (the same applies to salads if you don't know where the water that washed them came from). Seen too many newbies go down with Montezuma's revenge (or the local equivalent).
          Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
          Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Actually, the emoticoncould be used when speaking of an "Instant Old Fashioned" whereupon the imbiber rests his/her head face up over the bar and the bartender pours directly from a bottle of rye and sweet vermouth into the open mouth of the client.
            ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
            IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Alright I tried it with the Evan Williams Bourbon. I can respect the Evan Williams but it seems like both that and the Jim Beam work better on their own, or at least not in a Whiskey Cocktail (to use the original name). Maybe it's just my tastes. The Jameson is still the best I've tried so far, in my Cocktail.

I will actually be writing an article on this drink for the website Spoon University, which is a cooking/food-related source geared towards college students. I got some pictures taken for the recipe article, and I can't wait to see how they come out. The student photographing the process remarked that it had a pretty color.

--Hávamál

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X