No announcement yet.

Pizza making

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"An often recounted story holds that on 11 June 1889, to honour the Queen consort of Italy, Margherita of Savoy, the Neapolitan pizzamaker Raffaele Esposito created the "Pizza Margherita", a pizza garnished with tomatoes, mozzarella, and basil, to represent the national colours of Italy as on the Italian flag."
    Hyperwar: World War II on the World Wide Web
    Hyperwar, Whats New
    World War II Resources
    The best place in the world to "work".

Comment

Originally posted by OpanaPointer View Post
      "An often recounted story holds that on 11 June 1889, to honour the Queen consort of Italy, Margherita of Savoy, the Neapolitan pizzamaker Raffaele Esposito created the "Pizza Margherita", a pizza garnished with tomatoes, mozzarella, and basil, to represent the national colours of Italy as on the Italian flag."
      It is true, traditionalists only acknowledge two pizzas: Pizza Marinara and Pizza Margherita. And they have to meet exact standards in diameter, circumference, and thickness. The dough must be handmade - nothing but your fists - NO ROLLING PINS. It has to cooked in a wood fire domed oven. All the recognized traditional pizzerias are in Naples. Pizza from Rome is an abomination because the crust is crispy.

Keep in mind that pizzas in Italy predated tomatoes from The New World, so anyone thinking that original pizzas had tomato sauce on it really do not know culinary history. In fact, pizzas predate the Romans.
      Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Irish comedian Jim Owen once asked the question, during his regular "Jim Owen's Cooking Show" segments......

"What do you do when you come home from a night at the pub, and you feel the sudden urge for a spew, and you can't make it to the bathroom...

You don't want to spoil your living room...you want to direct your stomach fluids into somewhere where you can recover them later, clean them up easily...

Why not into your box freezer?

And then the "recovery"...Oh look, I have one already prepared....

(pulls out a frozen pizza)
        My Articles, ALMOST LIVE, exclusive to The Armchair!

Soviet Submarines in WW2....The Mythology of Shiloh....(Edited) Both Sides of the Warsaw Ghetto
        GULAG Glossary....Who Really Killed The Red Baron?....Pearl Harbor At 75
        Lincoln-Douglas Debates

Comment

Originally posted by JBark View Post
          BACKGROUND - I grew up in northern New Jersey which, food wise, is heavily influenced by NYC. For me the best pizza (only?) is thin crust, dripping with oil (grease?) Acceptable topics are sausage, mushrooms, pepperoni and a few other Italian things. Pineapple and such are not meant for pizza. I have recently started eating white pizza to reduce my acid intake a little. So these are my pizza preferences.

I made my first pizza a few nights ago and I must say I thoroughly enjoyed it. There is room for improvement but it is better than most of the take out pizzas I've had lately. The dough was a pre-made, pre-formed so all I had to do was add my cheeses and toppings (mushrooms for my daughter and brocolli for me) and pop it in the oven. The same store sells dough that is not rolled out and I will try that and then move on to making my own dough.

Who else is making their own?
          Slightly OT, have you ever had the Sicilian from Bruno's in Clifton?

And my favorite regular round pie was from Pizza 46. Well done of course.

It's been a few years since I had either. Don't know if they're still up to snuff.
          ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

Originally posted by Gixxer86g View Post
            Slightly OT, have you ever had the Sicilian from Bruno's in Clifton?

And my favorite regular round pie was from Pizza 46. Well done of course.

It's been a few years since I had either. Don't know if they're still up to snuff.
            Can't say I have, sorry to say. My stomping ground was northern Bergen County, very close to the NY border. Let me just admit that my thinking is that what I grew up on is what I think is best. Naturally. One of my fondest pizza memories was the outfit in New Brunswick (name is long gone from my memory) that sold pizzas, DELIVERED TO YOUR DORM, for $3!!! A few of us poor RA's would scrape together the money and enjoy a midnight "ZA." The best!
            John

Play La Marseillaise. Play it!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X