Pizza making

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pizza making

BACKGROUND - I grew up in northern New Jersey which, food wise, is heavily influenced by NYC. For me the best pizza (only?) is thin crust, dripping with oil (grease?) Acceptable topics are sausage, mushrooms, pepperoni and a few other Italian things. Pineapple and such are not meant for pizza. I have recently started eating white pizza to reduce my acid intake a little. So these are my pizza preferences.

I made my first pizza a few nights ago and I must say I thoroughly enjoyed it. There is room for improvement but it is better than most of the take out pizzas I've had lately. The dough was a pre-made, pre-formed so all I had to do was add my cheeses and toppings (mushrooms for my daughter and brocolli for me) and pop it in the oven. The same store sells dough that is not rolled out and I will try that and then move on to making my own dough.

Who else is making their own?
    John

Play La Marseillaise. Play it!

You lazy American boy...
    Correct me if I'm wrong ,didn't you married a French woman ???
    AND YOU KEEP ON USING PREMADE DOUGH !!!
    Well....me too...

I share your pov : No pineapple in pizza.
    Basilic ,oregano ,moza ,pomodorre and anchovies .
    Simplicity at its best.
    That rug really tied the room together

Comment

My mother has a story to tell with regard to Pizza and Italy.

On her way to england by ship in the 60s, the ship stopped at Naples.

the 'hawkers' that were crowding the docks for the tourists told her to floow them, for a taste of REAL Italian style Pizza.
      what she got came in a CUP.

now, I'm not sure whether Italians in certain sections of italy still do this, or if they ever did and my mother was taken for a ride, "literally". but she still maintains to this day that real Italians do not eat pizza from a dough base.

We consider pizza to be as un-gourmet as you can get. Its Italian peasant food, the sort of thing that 'mama' will put into the luch pack of a man working in a field. He can eat it, along with his chees, and doen't need to heat it up. It fills the stomach and is cheap to produce, as well as staying reasonably fresh without refridgeration.

I don't know why more people dont make their own pizza base. Its really simple, and delivers a light, crusty base, just the way pizza was meant to be, supposedly.

I personally, cannot stand pineapple on anything, let alone a pizza.

I rather like vegetarian style. It seems to fit together much better. Failing that, a "Godfather", with as much Italian stuff as possible. That seems to fit well.

I often wonder if the food crazy romans would have approved of their huge range of culinary variety being simplified down to two dishes that represent Italian culture. Spahghetti and pizza.

Italian food is dreamy.

Steak and pasta goe together particularly well, especially sour cream and chive pasta. It enhances the meat flavour without subsuming it in a source flavour.
      My Articles, ALMOST LIVE, exclusive to The Armchair!

Soviet Submarines in WW2....The Mythology of Shiloh....(Edited) Both Sides of the Warsaw Ghetto
      GULAG Glossary....Who Really Killed The Red Baron?....Pearl Harbor At 75
      Lincoln-Douglas Debates

Comment

I've never tried it but have wanted to. I actually don't eat pizza much, and when I do it's in one of those classy places that serve it as health food. Crazy.

Comment

You guys try Louisiana style Pizza if you are ever there. You can get it with crawfish, shrimp and other seafood. I am an uncultured Barbarian. I prefer mine thin and crispy and with Pepperoni. On rare occasions we don't eat it all so we throw it in the refridgerater and pop it into the microwave (it tastes just like many of the chains. BabyGirl and I would eat it right out of the icebox, cold! If you ever go to Houston, one of my Grandsons works at a place in the Woodlands called 'Brother's Pizza'. It is a step above!

Pruitt
          Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

I experienced Sicilian pizze ,in Trapani ,and the dough is very thick ,not my taste.I prefer them thin.Like the women.

That rug really tied the room together

Comment

http://www.pizzabyelizabeths.com/

Comment

Worst pizza I ever had was in Sicily. Spinach, peas and hard boiled eggs among unidentifiable items. Admittedly this was in a small town, but damn...
                Hyperwar: World War II on the World Wide Web
                Hyperwar, Whats New
                World War II Resources
                The best place in the world to "work".

Comment

Originally posted by OpanaPointer View Post
                  Worst pizza I ever had was in Sicily. Spinach, peas and hard boiled eggs among unidentifiable items. Admittedly this was in a small town, but damn...
                  Yeah, it isn't the same as here. Had some okay pizza outside of Rome, but while in Italy I usually went for a pasta dish.

Comment

Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post
                    Yeah, it isn't the same as here. Had some okay pizza outside of Rome, but while in Italy I usually went for a pasta dish.
                    The Cyclops Restaurant (Italian name not ventured) in Taormina, Sicily, made a great carbonara. Eaten on the patio at night with Mt. Etna erupting in the background on, epic. :drool:
                    Hyperwar, Whats New
                    World War II Resources

Comment

My Pizzas are thin crust.

I usually use a pomodoro or marinara sauce, though if I'm making priazzo style then I use meat-sauce.

Toppings: Pepperoni, red onion, marinated artichoke heart slices (replaces mushrooms, my wife is allergic), green olives with pimento, green pepper and shredded hot capicolli. Mozzarella, Oregano, Sage, and Fennel seed.
                      Last edited by Arthwys; 25 Feb 16, 12:06.
                      BoRG
                      "... and that was the last time they called me Freakboy Moses"

Comment

Originally posted by sebfrench76 View Post
                        You lazy American boy...
                        Correct me if I'm wrong ,didn't you married a French woman ???
                        AND YOU KEEP ON USING PREMADE DOUGH !!!
                        Well....me too...

I share your pov : No pineapple in pizza.
                        Basilic ,oregano ,moza ,pomodorre and anchovies .
                        Simplicity at its best.
                        Get this, her dad was a baker for forty years. She doesn't do much in the way of cooking and when she does it is minimal. She made quiche last week with store bought pie crusts.

I think only French men are the great cooks.
                        John

Play La Marseillaise. Play it!

Comment

Pizza

Stuff on bread. What's not to like. As long as its not pineapple.
                          How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
                          Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
                            Pizza

Stuff on bread. What's not to like. As long as its not pineapple.
                            And no bait, either.
                            Hyperwar, Whats New
                            World War II Resources

Comment

"Real" pizza was originally just dough and tomato sauce, same way they made it in Italy. Best pizza I ever had was in a little place in San Marino.

Anchovies?!!
                              Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X