Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Fashion Crock Baked Beans

Here is a recipe for Old Fashion Crock Baked Beans:

Soak 1 1/2 cup Navy Beans in water allow enough to cover at least 1 inch and leave over night.
    Simmer 1 hour on stove remove scum while cooking, drain & rinse when done.
    Put beans in Crock Pot add fresh water to cover 1 inch.
    Add 1/3 cup shortening, 1/2 t dry mustard, 4 T brown sugar, 4 strips of bacon chopped, 1/4 t salt, 3 T molasses.
    Combine and stir in Bean Crock, cover and cook in oven @ 350 f for 2 hrs.
    Remove from oven & check beans if done mix 2 T cornstarch and 2 T water in a bowl and add to crock pot to thicken cook an additional 25 minutes.

Beans have been around for quite awhile being one of the oldest cultivated plants on earth dating back to the early seventh millennium BCE predating ceramics.

Montreal Men or Pork Eaters cooked them in a kettle over an open fire on their way to the Lakehead (Grand Portage/Fort William).

Early recipes would substitute Bear Fat & Maple or Birch Syrup for the sugar/molasses & pork fat.

Beyond the Pays d'en Haut (height of land portage) pemmican became the main food source of the Voyageur.

Regards, Patrick

Sounds like a variation of Cassoulet
    Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
    Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

I have fond memories of my Father cooking Baked Beans. He used a ceramic pot and the oven. Even better was the next day when he toasted a bunch of bread and placed the leftover Baked Beans on top and a slice or two of cheese and then a strip or two of bacon on top! He would then pop it into the oven for a few minutes. I can't say what happened to that pot! My guess is it got broke or my Sister has it hid somewhere.

Pruitt
      Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
        I have fond memories of my Father cooking Baked Beans. He used a ceramic pot and the oven. Even better was the next day when he toasted a bunch of bread and placed the leftover Baked Beans on top and a slice or two of cheese and then a strip or two of bacon on top! He would then pop it into the oven for a few minutes. I can't say what happened to that pot! My guess is it got broke or my Sister has it hid somewhere.

Pruitt
        I made some yesterday watching the final four NFL good football Cam Newton reminds me of Warren Moon.
        I will have to get the recipes for Pea soup from mom and post them see made two varieties one with a green pea and another with a yellow pea.
        I believe that the yellow pea soup was more like the habitant one that the Montreal Men (Pork Eaters) ate on the trail.
        I can remember seeing lots of Cow Boys eat beans in the movies like My Name is Nobody Henry Fonda and that guy with the blue eyes can't remember nobodies name???

Take Care Guys...

Regards,Patrick

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X