Pesto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pesto

Who does pesto? What variations do you try? I have been experimenting with pesto now for some time and have not quite found the perfect one...and I think it is out there. I've tried the classic pesto (unfortunately I have to leave out the garlic because my daughter can't handle the strength of raw garlic) and I have tried adding tomatoes, avocado, and different nuts. I always am left wanting and feel there is a bitterness I don't like.

Thoughts?
    John

Play La Marseillaise. Play it!

For some reason, pesto intimidates me and I buy mine. Have you tried allrecipes.com? Its the cooking site I use the most often, and everything I've tried from them turned out very tasty!

Here's the link for pesto: http://allrecipes.com/search/results/?wt=pesto&sort=re

Best of luck! I look forward to reading the directions for the pesto you finally settle on.

Comment

Originally posted by JBark View Post
      Who does pesto? What variations do you try? I have been experimenting with pesto now for some time and have not quite found the perfect one...and I think it is out there. I've tried the classic pesto (unfortunately I have to leave out the garlic because my daughter can't handle the strength of raw garlic) and I have tried adding tomatoes, avocado, and different nuts. I always am left wanting and feel there is a bitterness I don't like.

Thoughts?
      Sorry, but the missing garlic is part of the "problem". You may want to make in two batches, one for you, the garlic free for your daughter. Also try using pistachio nuts in place of pine nuts. I find they taste better and are less expensive.

Comment

Easy to make ,really .
        I do the Trapanese one ,with crushed almonds .
        A hit.
        I don't know a French sauce that can match with a home made Pesto.
        That rug really tied the room together

Comment

You mean it isn't a musical notation? ,
          Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
          Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by G David Bock View Post
            Sorry, but the missing garlic is part of the "problem". You may want to make in two batches, one for you, the garlic free for your daughter. Also try using pistachio nuts in place of pine nuts. I find they taste better and are less expensive.
            On occasion I have sauteed the garlic to tone it down a bit.
            John

Comment

Have you tried roasted garlic?

Comment

Parmegianno is the key..
                Molto,molto..

Comment

Try roasting it in its skins. It's a sweeter taste, and far less harsh.

Not to anyone in particular - Which nuts you use does not usually matter too much.

Although Parmigiano-Reggiano is the usual cheese used, I much prefer Grana Padano. Not only is it cheaper, but just as good, it doesn't smell of sick.
                  How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
                  Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

I've never made pesto, but I do buy it and use it at least once per month or so, with tortellini--it's a fav of mine.
                    "A foolish man thinks he knows everything if placed in unexpected difficulty; but he knows not what to answer, if to the test he is put."

--Hávamál

Comment

Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
                      Try roasting it in its skins. It's a sweeter taste, and far less harsh.

Not to anyone in particular - Which nuts you use does not usually matter too much.

Although Parmigiano-Reggiano is the usual cheese used, I much prefer Grana Padano. Not only is it cheaper, but just as good, it doesn't smell of sick.
                      I think I'll give that a try. By roasting you mean toss it in the oven for a few minutes, right?
                      John

Comment

Does anyone make anything other than the traditional basil, chees, nuts, oil, garlic?
                        John

Comment

Pesto a la Trapanese
                          http://allrecipes.com/recipe/233773/...sto-trapanese/

Comment

[QUOTE=sebfrench76;3154091]Pesto a la Trapanese
                            http://allrecipes.com/recipe/233773/...sto-trapanese/[/QUOTEP]

Interesting. I would definitely try some of that but NOT the anchovies. Have you tried it?

Bonne annee!
                            John

Comment

Yes .

I spent a month in Trapany and had my daily meals in one of the top 5 restaurants of the city,the Hostaria San Pietro.
                              http://www.hostariasanpietro.it/

You can take it away if you're not in love with the anchovies cause it gives a strong smell of fish to the pesto.

And personnaly i don't grat Parmesan,but i cut it in very small squares (5 mmX5mm) ,in order to make it more there .

Bonne année also John!
                              Last edited by sebfrench76; 04 Jan 16, 07:09.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X