Charcoal Grilling Beginning Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charcoal Grilling Beginning Question

Flames! I wait for the coals to burn out and turn ashen, I spread them out on the grating, and I place the meat on the top grating. So far so good.

However, dripping fat from the meat falls on the embers below and the briquets frequently ignite with a large flame burning my meat crispy black!

I react by moving the meat with forceps to move it away from the flames, but this is annoying. Am I doing something wrong? Maybe not waiting long enough for briquets to burn out?

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
    --Frederick II, King of Prussia

Well, first of all, you're cooking with charcoal. That's nothing but petrified mud and dinosaur sh*t.

Either go old school and use wood, or get a gas grill.

Until you get some class, increase your spacing between the smoking prehistoric feces you're cooking with and the meat. It won't stop grease flares, but it will reduce the damage they do to the meat.

Then keep your lid closed so that grease flares do not have an oxygen-rich atmosphere to work with. This will make the flares smaller and of a shorter duration.
    Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

I use a spray bottle with water to tamp the flames. Works like a charm.

I use mesquite Lump Charcoal which burns a bit hot so I have to do it every time I BBQ.

But its really good.

Also put the coal off to the sides so it cooks rather than burns the meat.
      Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
        Well, first of all, you're cooking with charcoal. That's nothing but petrified mud and dinosaur sh*t.
        Hmmm...didn't other parts of the dinosaurs become fossilized? Of course you could ask him what type of charcoal he is using since some are not made from fossil fuels.
        Just sayin'...
        John

Play La Marseillaise. Play it!

Comment

Use natural lump charcoal, keep the lid closed and try to quickly sear the exterior of the meat. This will seal in juices and enable you to cook steaks as well as you want without turning them into flight jackets.

Charcoal is better for steaks because it cooks at a higher temperature than gas. I have a both a gas grill hooked up to the gas line and a charcoal-fired Big Green Egg.

The Egg is great because you can use it as a low temperature smoker or a very high temperature grill.
          Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Originally posted by JBark View Post
            Hmmm...didn't other parts of the dinosaurs become fossilized? Of course you could ask him what type of charcoal he is using since some are not made from fossil fuels.
            Just sayin'...
            No dinosaur parts or excrement became charcoal... Charcoal is 100% vegan...
            Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Hey MZ.

You can sometimes move the grating to a level a little higher (farther from flames)

You can use a water-spray bottle like B mentioned.

You can let the coals get a little more 'cooked' and therefore will give off less heat. Yours in the pic look like they are still black in areas.

Once the meat is cooking... close the lid to deprive the flames oxygen.
              Only the strongest grease/fat burning will survive with no oxygen.

Just a few ideas .
              SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

Comment

Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
                No dinosaur parts or excrement became charcoal... Charcoal is 100% vegan...
                That's what they want you to believe...
                Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Dino sh*t is organic! You can pull 100 young, not so innocent Gaurdian readers with that cr*p.

The other thing is that the coals do not have to be underneath directly, just close. No joke, but camel sh*t works too if there is nothing else within miles. Gas? I guess it depends if you are BBQing in a domestic garden or in the wild.
                  Per Ardua ad Astra

Comment

Originally posted by Lāčplēsis View Post
                    Dino sh*t is organic! You can pull 100 young, not so innocent Gaurdian readers with that cr*p.

The other thing is that the coals do not have to be underneath directly, just close. No joke, but camel sh*t works too if there is nothing else within miles. Gas? I guess it depends if you are BBQing in a domestic garden or in the wild.
                    I guess the UK has not developed the field grill yet...

Comment

I guess the UK has not developed the field grill yet...
                      No... we are quite backward, still wearing skins and wearing woad...
                      Per Ardua ad Astra

Comment

Originally posted by Lāčplēsis View Post
                        No... we are quite backward, still wearing skins and wearing woad...
                        I would believe you, except I've been there, improving the local gene pool and giving the place a touch of class, albeit a temporary one.

But grilling with gas can be done anywhere, with the right set-up.

Comment

I would believe you, except I've been there, improving the local gene pool and giving the place a touch of class, albeit a temporary one.

But grilling with gas can be done anywhere, with the right set-up.
                          Never touched on your class credentials
                          Per Ardua ad Astra

Comment

Only people who dislike flavor cook with gas. Mesquite lump coal is the way to go.

I've also smoked with hickory and apple tree chips. Go out and catch a Salmon and dry rub it and then smoke it.

Nom.
                            Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
                              Only people who dislike flavor cook with gas. Mesquite lump coal is the way to go.

I've also smoked with hickory and apple tree chips. Go out and catch a Salmon and dry rub it and then smoke it.

Nom.
                              Apple is good!
                              Per Ardua ad Astra

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X