Do you need a recipe?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you need a recipe?

Let's say you want to do a special meal for guests, can you/do you cook without a recipe? I like one pan stew like dishes (like paella) and love to do them on the fly.
    John

Play La Marseillaise. Play it!

Unless baking, which requires more precision, to me a recipe is a basic template to vary based upon conditions and available ingedients, adjusted per current tastes and circumstances.

For example, last night did a basic foil wrapped beef stew recipe, with adjusted amounts of veggies: onion, potatoe(red), and carrot; along with tweaked spices/seasonings. Cranked the heat up also to shorten cooking time, results savory but not extreme. Wife complimented, as usual ...
    TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch

Comment

Originally posted by G David Bock View Post
      Unless baking, which requires more precision, to me a recipe is a basic template to vary based upon conditions and available ingedients, adjusted per current tastes and circumstances.

For example, last night did a basic foil wrapped beef stew recipe, with adjusted amounts of veggies: onion, potatoe(red), and carrot; along with tweaked spices/seasonings. Cranked the heat up also to shorten cooking time, results savory but not extreme. Wife complimented, as usual ...
      Foil wrapped means what?
      John

Comment

Originally posted by G David Bock View Post

Agree! Recipes (and I love reading them) are just a start point and never an end in themselves. Indeed, baking is a different discipline.

What is available in the market, what ingredients have I seen and have they inspired? They are the starting points for adventure.

Last night's dinner party's centrepiece was duck stuffed with rice, apricot, fig, slivered almonds green raisins and pine nuts. (It was supposed to be goose as my sister-in-law said she brought 2 geese and 2 ducks from Egypt and this was the remaining bird). Anyhow, there was salad, the duck, petit pois, carrots, roast potato and roast apple wedges......

Foil wrapped - Aluminium foil, cooking foil....

Attached Files
        Per Ardua ad Astra

Comment

Old one that we use is about as simple as you can get

Bef Roast, we prefer London Broil.

Place enough foil in a bakind dish. 1st roast, then one or two cans of Golden Mushroom soup. You can always add some fresh mushrooms of your liking. Now a pack of dry oinion soup. If desired a couple carrots. Seal the foil and place in the offen at a midium heat. A touch of garlic if you wish for a little more zip.
          "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Does somebody have a recipe for califlower?

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
              Does somebody have a recipe for califlower?
              Roasted cauliflower? Cauliflower soup with smoked salmon is excellent. Home made cauliflower cheese is a wow - forget the 'frozen meals'... any or all, John???
              Per Ardua ad Astra

Comment

Originally posted by Lāčplēsis View Post
                Roasted cauliflower? Cauliflower soup with smoked salmon is excellent. Home made cauliflower cheese is a wow - forget the 'frozen meals'... any or all, John???
                We do a roasted had some today

First steamed then into a baking dish. Cover the head in interlaced bacon or ham. Top with pineapple, crushed seems to work best. Now add a layer of your favorite cheese or mix a couple different cheese.

I tried a taste treat of mashed cauliflower from an American chain. If interested take a look at Ruby Tuesday cauliflower on line.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                  We do a roasted had some today

First steamed then into a baking dish. Cover the head in interlaced bacon or ham. Top with pineapple, crushed seems to work best. Now add a layer of your favorite cheese or mix a couple different cheese.

I tried a taste treat of mashed cauliflower from an American chain. If interested take a look at Ruby Tuesday cauliflower on line.
                  My cauliflower-cheese (and I use some broccoli florettes - same family and adds colour) is to lightly steam them. Have baking dish ready and having depoited the florettes in the dish, fry some bacon lardons, and throw in some almonds, pine nuts and raisins to flash fry - chuck into dish (one can add some peas, carrots or whatever to round out the experience). Season with salt, pepper a dash of nutmeg and cayenne... to add a little zip.

Make a roux of butter and flour in the pan. Add milk and then cheese (s) and then por over the veggie dish.

Put in oven and bake.

Eat with one's better half and/or friends.... enjoy!

Per Ardua ad Astra

Comment

Originally posted by JBark View Post
                    Foil wrapped means what?
                    In a large roasting pan, place a criss-cross of 18" aluminum foil such that once all ingredients are inside, you fold over and crease together the foil edges, making a near tight covering/pouch.

Towards the end of the cooking cycle, I opened the foil some to allow the outer edge of the meat to brown (about 20 minutes with oven at about 325F) on one side, filled it over for other side, same time and temp.

Recipes source to follow in next post.

Comment

Cooks - Illustrate/Country/America's Test Kitchen

On TV ~ PBS you've seen them as America's Test Kitchen, also available on DVD (check you library). They take a recipe, cull the numerous variations, find an optimal tweak that reduces ingredients, labor, and time to get the optimal results.
                      http://www.americastestkitchen.com/
                      Often such have or will appear in their two bi-monthly magazines, Cooks Country http://www.cookscountry.com/ and Cooks Illustrated http://www.cooksillustrated.com/

Along with optimized recipes for cooking and baking, product and equipment reveiws and useful cooking tips are also include. All of this periodically makes its way into cookbooks they offer as well. This tends to be the favorite source for my wife and I.

Tonite I'll tap into a recent issue of Cooks Country for a recipe on tri-tip steak, and a few nights ago did one they had on Oklahoma Onion Burgers.

Comment

Had this idea... we had (have chicken breasts, plum tomatoes and some greek sheep's cheese) so will toss them all together with some ginseng stock (and other Korean bits of root and wood that tastes of heaven)... the sheep's cheese is going in last, just before serving... watch this space!

(felt in the mood to experiment)
                        Per Ardua ad Astra

Comment

Pesto

There were nights when my 8yo daughter and I used to eat alone and I indoctrinated her with some of my favorite pasta dishes...some made up and some traditional. Mom, a French woman is not big on alfredo and various pestos, though I tried.
                          She finally declared "I don't like herbs. (How can anyone from France not like herbs?). Soooo, I made a pesto the other night; I sauteed red peppers and garlic (tone down the heat), put in with olive oil, walnuts, cherry tomatoes and cheese. It came out a weirdish orange/pink color but tasted great. Wife barely tried it and rejected it. I'm having her deported.
                          John

Comment

Here is the only cookbook you will ever need,

https://archive.org/details/usnavycookbook00instgoog
                            Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.
                            Russ Travers, CIA analyst, 2001

Comment

for Pizza lovers.

http://www.bigmamaspizza.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X