Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nikki
    replied
    I prefer to cook a whole rib roast bone-in. About 5-6 ribs is perfect to feed 4 adults. Then cut steaks from the roast.

Leave a comment:

• JBark
    replied
    Originally posted by NoPref View Post
    I don't have good numbers for you. I keep mine in hot water for 2+ hours, basically until guests (or my wife) say they're hungry. Probably needs an hour for a 1 inch thick steak, but you'd have to google to get a minimum number of minutes.

The beauty of this method is that it is infinitely forgiving. If you put the meat in too early, you just have to keep the water at temp longer. I have the cooler in the kitchen and check it when I get my guests more beer. If the temp has dropped, I scoop out a quart of water with a quart measuring cup, nuke it while I open bottles, then pour it back in.

I sear it for as little time as possible. I don't time it, but it's around a minute. Basically until it releases from the pan/grill. If I can lift it to check the sear, it's ready to flip or serve. The key is to have the pan/grill as hot as you can get it. Also helps a lot if you pat the steak dry with paper towels after the sous vide cooking and brush some oil (and salt and pepper and whatever you like) on it before it hits the hot pan/grill.

You can also modify the searing time to accomodate people who want their steak cooked a bit more. Put theirs in the hot pan first. It's already at 130F, so putting theirs on first and taking theirs out last can take them from medium rare to medium.
    Thanks. I will have to give this a try.

Leave a comment:

• NoPref
    replied
    Originally posted by JBark View Post
    Thanks.
    Interesting, I think I might try this. How long do you keep it in the hot water and what is your time to sear it?
    I don't have good numbers for you. I keep mine in hot water for 2+ hours, basically until guests (or my wife) say they're hungry. Probably needs an hour for a 1 inch thick steak, but you'd have to google to get a minimum number of minutes.

The beauty of this method is that it is infinitely forgiving. If you put the meat in too early, you just have to keep the water at temp longer. I have the cooler in the kitchen and check it when I get my guests more beer. If the temp has dropped, I scoop out a quart of water with a quart measuring cup, nuke it while I open bottles, then pour it back in.

I sear it for as little time as possible. I don't time it, but it's around a minute. Basically until it releases from the pan/grill. If I can lift it to check the sear, it's ready to flip or serve. The key is to have the pan/grill as hot as you can get it. Also helps a lot if you pat the steak dry with paper towels after the sous vide cooking and brush some oil (and salt and pepper and whatever you like) on it before it hits the hot pan/grill.

You can also modify the searing time to accomodate people who want their steak cooked a bit more. Put theirs in the hot pan first. It's already at 130F, so putting theirs on first and taking theirs out last can take them from medium rare to medium.

Leave a comment:

• JBark
    replied
    Originally posted by NoPref View Post
    Medium rare for me.

I use a sous vide cooker and sear it on a hot grill or in a hot frying pan just before serving.

You don't need a $500 machine either, just a quality $30 beer cooler and some Ziplock bags. Cook the bagged steaks to the internal temp you want in hot water, then finish up by searing them. You get a much thicker section of perfectly cooked meat in the center and a much thinner layer of well done meat under the crust.

Here's a basic overview of the process:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/04/c...vide-hack.html

Since you're bringing the meat up to a specific temp (130 F for medium rare) and holding it, you can keep the meat waiting in the cooler until everything else is cooked and you're ready to sear it.

The beer cooler can also be used for beer when not used for cooking.
    Thanks.
    Interesting, I think I might try this. How long do you keep it in the hot water and what is your time to sear it?

Leave a comment:

• NoPref
    replied
    Medium rare for me.

I use a sous vide cooker and sear it on a hot grill or in a hot frying pan just before serving.

You don't need a $500 machine either, just a quality $30 beer cooler and some Ziplock bags. Cook the bagged steaks to the internal temp you want in hot water, then finish up by searing them. You get a much thicker section of perfectly cooked meat in the center and a much thinner layer of well done meat under the crust.

Here's a basic overview of the process:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/04/c...vide-hack.html

Since you're bringing the meat up to a specific temp (130 F for medium rare) and holding it, you can keep the meat waiting in the cooler until everything else is cooked and you're ready to sear it.

The beer cooler can also be used for beer when not used for cooking.

Leave a comment:

• Half Pint John
    replied
    A bit off topic but not much. Yesterday I bought bison for the first time and wanting to know the best way to cook it.

Also how to I quite it down, she has been tearing up the place all day and my wife's idea of taking it for a walk didn't work out that well.

Leave a comment:

• Nikki
    replied
    Pan seared ribeye steak. Yum.

Leave the steaks out at room temperature for 1-1/2 hours, this will relax the meat fibers and make for a tender juicy steak.

You will need an instant-read thermometer and a cast-iron or a heavy oven-proof skillet. I usually get my butcher to cut me a couple of 1 inch thick ribeye steaks.

Do not add on any salt until the steak is finished cooking, salt draws out the juices.

Start by searing it in a skillet then finished cooking in the oven. This is the recipe/method for the perfect seared steak.

The thermometer will help you reach the level of doneness you desire.

Last thing is to let it sit for a few mins before cutting into it.

Leave a comment:

• T. A. Gardner
    replied
    Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
    Think of it this way: you can eat a good steak with nothing to drink, or with Budweiser, or with a good beer.
    Budwiser and good beer should not be mentioned in the same sentence...

Leave a comment:

• T. A. Gardner
    replied
    I prefer killing my steaks at the table!

Leave a comment:

• the ace
    replied
    Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
    We have gas stoves, but the Health and Safety Police are stronger here. The type of gas stove I want is only allowed in restaurants here.

As for your latter comment, although us Brits do have an image of enjoying rubbish food, it's only half true.

Some Brits like fatty chips, overcooked meat and veg boiled away to nothing .

When I go on holiday with Brits, we always end up in two groups. It's always initially based on food. Half of Brits want domestic stuff. Half of Brits go abroad to enjoy foreign.

Half(ish) of we Brits like good food. We don't care where it comes from, hence the multitude of Chinese and Indian restaurants.
    I take your point, but you have to be careful;

I'll try anything once, but the last time I had squid (in the Netherlands) I made an intimate study of every knothole in the sh*thouse door, and only survived with frozen bogroll.

Leave a comment:

• Bwaha
    replied
    We have gas stoves, but the Health and Safety Police are stronger here. The type of gas stove I want is only allowed in restaurants here.

As for your latter comment, although us Brits do have an image of enjoying rubbish food, it's only half true.

When I go on holiday with Brits, we always end up in two groups. It's always initially based on food. Half of Brits want domestic stuff. Half of Brits go abroad to enjoy foreign.

Half(ish) of we Brits like good food. We don't care where it comes from, hence the multitude of Chinese and Indian restaurants.
    Nick, I was just yanking the Brit chain. Though one of my buddies had a horrifying tale about getting a deep fried hamburger when visiting there. Also there's that thing called haggis, banned in the US. Yes its illegal to import that...

I think that may be the only dish specified as too awful to import...

Leave a comment:

• Nick the Noodle
    replied
    Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
    What? You heathen don't use gas stoves???

That's gotta be a cuisine crime... Oh its the UK, they commit cuisine crime all the time...

Leave a comment:

• Half Pint John
    replied
    Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    True, but then one can also enjoy a great beer - not Budweiser - without having to eat a steak!
    You really didn't ned to add American Bud when talking about beer, good or otherwise.

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
    Think of it this way: you can eat a good steak with nothing to drink, or with Budweiser, or with a good beer.
    True, but then one can also enjoy a great beer - not Budweiser - without having to eat a steak!

Leave a comment:

• Bwaha
    replied
    If you can get your pan seriously hot then I'd agree with you. In Britain our hobs can only impart so much heat, thus you flip, so that you scorch the outside before the heat can penetrate further inside. You want it almost black on the outside and almost raw in the middle imho.

I think we are all on the same page here .
    What? You heathen don't use gas stoves???

That's gotta be a cuisine crime... Oh its the UK, they commit cuisine crime all the time...

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X