No announcement yet.

Rib eye: medium rare or medium?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marinate and all the other BS, is just that. BS and not needed. A decent cut grilled or cast iron pan fried needs nothing than a knife and folk. MAYBE a sauce out on the side and good bread to clean up those juice. Med to med rare. Those that like it well done should sick with hot dogs and Wendy.
    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

John's right, medium to medium rare. My brother likes it mooing I think.
      This bass guitar kills TERRORISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Ah'm wit'choo Slick Meister

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
        Marinade overnight with hot sauce, preferably Frank's Red Hot. Sear on both sides, about five minutes total over real wood charcoal, then leave rest. A little green salad (balsamic preferred) baked potato, and washed down with Glenlivet, followed by a Quesada Dominican cigar.
        Same...except drink the Glenlivet while the meat is (lightly)searing, wash it down with a Montejo long neck(Quinta Roo, Mexico), after, five fingers of 1980's Pusser's British Navy Rum and a TTT Trinidad churchill.
        ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
        IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Originally posted by Cult Icon View Post
          Medium is sometimes preferred as it allows the fat to render better, but the beefier parts are no longer as tender.

Medium-rare keeps the whole thing tender but sometimes the fat does not render well enough.
          Medium rare.
          Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Sorry, us Philistines like it well done - kills off the endoparasites.
            Indyref2 - still, "Yes."

Comment

Originally posted by the ace View Post
              Sorry, us Philistines like it well done - kills off the endoparasites.
              I thought that you blokes flash-fried the fck out of your steaks.

Last edited by slick_miester; 05 Jun 15, 17:01. Reason: I can't spell. D'oh!
              I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

I thought that you blokes flash-dried the fck out of your steaks.

Scotland is the weirdest place for food I've ever been to.

You can have Haggis with Neeps and Tatties, a peasant dish with integrity, but an acquired taste .

You can have some of the finest fresh produce ever to indulge your palate, such as line caught fresh water salmon, grass fed Aberdeen Angus beef, freshly shot grouse and a whole load of other delicious game .

You can also have a battered covered candy bar or pizza .

Scotland represents all 3 extreme aspects of food - Noble classic, Peasant necessity and Processed Crap. Weird.
                How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
                Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
                  Scotland is the weirdest place for food I've ever been to.

You can have Haggis with Neeps and Tatties, a peasant dish with integrity, but an acquired taste .

You can have some of the finest fresh produce ever to indulge your palate, such as line caught fresh water salmon, grass fed Aberdeen Angus beef, freshly shot grouse and a whole load of other delicious game .

You can also have a battered covered candy bar or pizza .

Scotland represents all 3 extreme aspects of food - Noble classic, Peasant necessity and Processed Crap. Weird.
                  It depends how the mood takes us - I've never eaten a deep-fried mars bar, but I don't like mars bars anyway, pizza doesn't have to be battered, and I've always found Royal Game soup a bit rich for my palate.

We cook our steaks slowly all the way through, and chip shops (the original takeaway) fry everything (fish, black pudding, haggis, white pudding - not quite as extreme as haggis - sausages, fish...) in batter, either as a single (on its own) or a supper (with chips) - it's a cheap way to a hot meal. To be fair, most chippies are Italian (well, it was started by great-granddad who came over from Naples) and in the same family for generations, or Chinese - they combine the traditional chip shop with a Chinese takeaway.
                  Last edited by the ace; 05 Jun 15, 17:44.
                  Indyref2 - still, "Yes."

Comment

All kidding aside I've heard from more than a few travelers that Scotland's seafood is outstanding. Don't know about the venison, but I'd certainly give it a shot.

Comment

All kidding aside I've heard from more than a few travelers that Scotland's seafood is outstanding. Don't know about the venison, but I'd certainly give it a shot.
                      Not just seafood, our salmon is legendary. I've always found venison a bit dear - thank you, I'm here all week (I actually like venison, but I'm genuinely not too fond of the price).

You can't beat a plate of mince (ground beef) 'n' tatties, though, washed down with irn bru.
                      Last edited by the ace; 05 Jun 15, 18:18.
                      Indyref2 - still, "Yes."

Comment

Cook it for the fat and throw away the meat: just kidding

It is actually impossible to cook this cut properly as the thread indicates. It's a compromise anyway you go so it's the only steak I cook medium with just a hint of pink.
                        We hunt the hunters

Comment

Marinade overnight with hot sauce, preferably Frank's Red Hot. Sear on both sides, about five minutes total over real wood charcoal, then leave rest. A little green salad (balsamic preferred) baked potato, and washed down with Glenlivet, followed by a Quesada Dominican cigar.
                          That sir is a meal.

Comment

Ah, bs. Tryiny to improve on a good steak taste is like trying to make bacon taste better. It can't be done.
                            "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

The key to grilling a good steak is doing so quickly. You can get a tender medium if you don't like an nearly raw center on a thick steak through a quick hot grilling, ideally, grilling both sides at once. Grill it too slowly and it will get tough.
                              “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                                Ah, bs. Tryiny to improve on a good steak taste is like trying to make bacon taste better. It can't be done.
                                Think of it this way: you can eat a good steak with nothing to drink, or with Budweiser, or with a good beer.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X