X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jose50
    replied
    Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
    If you can get your pan seriously hot then I'd agree with you. In Britain our hobs can only impart so much heat, thus you flip, so that you scorch the outside before the heat can penetrate further inside. You want it almost black on the outside and almost raw in the middle imho.

I think we are all on the same page here .
    Nick, you could try sticking your (cast iron) fry pan into a hot (375-425F) oven and then searing your steak on both sides.
    And no, we're on page three...

Leave a comment:

• Nick the Noodle
    replied
    Originally posted by Rojik View Post
    No, no, no, and no again.

Cook it quickly. 60% one side, 40% the other, let it rest for a couple of minutes...

... then eat that mother like you are a caveman.
    If you can get your pan seriously hot then I'd agree with you. In Britain our hobs can only impart so much heat, thus you flip, so that you scorch the outside before the heat can penetrate further inside. You want it almost black on the outside and almost raw in the middle imho.

I think we are all on the same page here .

Leave a comment:

• Rojik
    replied
    Flip, flip, flip. Then flip, flip, flip.

Don't eat the fat.
    No, no, no, and no again.

Cook it quickly. 60% one side, 40% the other, let it rest for a couple of minutes...

... then eat that mother like you are a caveman.

Leave a comment:

• Nick the Noodle
    replied
    Flip, flip, flip. Then flip, flip, flip.
    Originally posted by Salinator View Post
    No, no, no. High heat, sear bottom side, flip and sear. Turn heat down to medium and flip....cook until almost done to your preference and then one final flip and turn off heat and let rest.
    http://www.channel4.com/programmes/h...t-steak-recipe
    Don't eat the fat.
    Originally posted by Salinator View Post
    What fat? You were suppose to trim the fat off before cooking.
    Nah. Imparts flavour to the flesh while cooking .

Leave a comment:

• Half Pint John
    replied
    Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
    Think of it this way: you can eat a good steak with nothing to drink, or with Budweiser, or with a good beer.
    uSUALLY WITH A GOOD STEAK OR RIBS, DRINKING A BEER IS PRETTY FAR AWAY FROM MY THINKING. fat THUMBS. How ever waiting for then and then after is of course an other story.

Leave a comment:

• slick_miester
    replied
    Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
    Ah, bs. Tryiny to improve on a good steak taste is like trying to make bacon taste better. It can't be done.
    Think of it this way: you can eat a good steak with nothing to drink, or with Budweiser, or with a good beer.

Leave a comment:

• SRV Ron
    replied
    The key to grilling a good steak is doing so quickly. You can get a tender medium if you don't like an nearly raw center on a thick steak through a quick hot grilling, ideally, grilling both sides at once. Grill it too slowly and it will get tough.

Leave a comment:

• Half Pint John
    replied
    Ah, bs. Tryiny to improve on a good steak taste is like trying to make bacon taste better. It can't be done.

Leave a comment:

• joea
    replied
    Marinade overnight with hot sauce, preferably Frank's Red Hot. Sear on both sides, about five minutes total over real wood charcoal, then leave rest. A little green salad (balsamic preferred) baked potato, and washed down with Glenlivet, followed by a Quesada Dominican cigar.
    That sir is a meal.

Leave a comment:

• wolfhnd
    replied
    Cook it for the fat and throw away the meat: just kidding

It is actually impossible to cook this cut properly as the thread indicates. It's a compromise anyway you go so it's the only steak I cook medium with just a hint of pink.

Leave a comment:

• the ace
    replied
    All kidding aside I've heard from more than a few travelers that Scotland's seafood is outstanding. Don't know about the venison, but I'd certainly give it a shot.
    Not just seafood, our salmon is legendary. I've always found venison a bit dear - thank you, I'm here all week (I actually like venison, but I'm genuinely not too fond of the price).

You can't beat a plate of mince (ground beef) 'n' tatties, though, washed down with irn bru.
    Last edited by the ace; 05 Jun 15, 17:18.

Leave a comment:

• slick_miester
    replied
    All kidding aside I've heard from more than a few travelers that Scotland's seafood is outstanding. Don't know about the venison, but I'd certainly give it a shot.

Leave a comment:

• the ace
    replied
    Scotland is the weirdest place for food I've ever been to.

You can have Haggis with Neeps and Tatties, a peasant dish with integrity, but an acquired taste .

You can have some of the finest fresh produce ever to indulge your palate, such as line caught fresh water salmon, grass fed Aberdeen Angus beef, freshly shot grouse and a whole load of other delicious game .

You can also have a battered covered candy bar or pizza .

Scotland represents all 3 extreme aspects of food - Noble classic, Peasant necessity and Processed Crap. Weird.
    It depends how the mood takes us - I've never eaten a deep-fried mars bar, but I don't like mars bars anyway, pizza doesn't have to be battered, and I've always found Royal Game soup a bit rich for my palate.

We cook our steaks slowly all the way through, and chip shops (the original takeaway) fry everything (fish, black pudding, haggis, white pudding - not quite as extreme as haggis - sausages, fish...) in batter, either as a single (on its own) or a supper (with chips) - it's a cheap way to a hot meal. To be fair, most chippies are Italian (well, it was started by great-granddad who came over from Naples) and in the same family for generations, or Chinese - they combine the traditional chip shop with a Chinese takeaway.
    Last edited by the ace; 05 Jun 15, 16:44.

Leave a comment:

• Nick the Noodle
    replied
    I thought that you blokes flash-dried the fck out of your steaks.

Scotland is the weirdest place for food I've ever been to.

You can have Haggis with Neeps and Tatties, a peasant dish with integrity, but an acquired taste .

You can have some of the finest fresh produce ever to indulge your palate, such as line caught fresh water salmon, grass fed Aberdeen Angus beef, freshly shot grouse and a whole load of other delicious game .

You can also have a battered covered candy bar or pizza .

Scotland represents all 3 extreme aspects of food - Noble classic, Peasant necessity and Processed Crap. Weird.

Leave a comment:

• slick_miester
    replied
    Originally posted by the ace View Post
    Sorry, us Philistines like it well done - kills off the endoparasites.
    I thought that you blokes flash-fried the fck out of your steaks.

Last edited by slick_miester; 05 Jun 15, 16:01. Reason: I can't spell. D'oh!

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X