Rib eye: medium rare or medium?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rib eye: medium rare or medium?

Medium is sometimes preferred as it allows the fat to render better, but the beefier parts are no longer as tender.

Medium-rare keeps the whole thing tender but sometimes the fat does not render well enough.
    Zhitomir-Berdichev, West of Kiev: 24 Dec 1943-31 Jan 1944
    Stalin's Favorite: The Combat History of the 2nd Guards Tank Army
    Barbarossa Derailed I & II
    Battle of Kalinin October 1941

Originally posted by Cult Icon View Post
    Medium is sometimes preferred as it allows the fat to render better, but the beefier parts are no longer as tender.

Medium-rare keeps the whole thing tender but sometimes the fat does not render well enough.
    Flip, flip, flip. Then flip, flip, flip.

Don't eat the fat.
    How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
    Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

Barbarians. Rib eye should be rare served with a baked potato, garden salad, and horse radish...
      Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
        Flip, flip, flip. Then flip, flip, flip.
        No, no, no. High heat, sear bottom side, flip and sear. Turn heat down to medium and flip....cook until almost done to your preference and then one final flip and turn off heat and let rest.

Don't eat the fat.
        What fat? You were suppose to trim the fat off before cooking.
        Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Depends,
          Elk or venison? Also, what time of the year was it taken?
          My Avatar: Ivan W. Henderson Gunner/navigator B-25-26. 117 combat missions. Both Theaters. 11 confirmed kills. DSC.

Comment

More than a searing it's a waste. In the immortal words of Jake LA Motta, "it defeats its own purpose,"
            I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

I go for medium-rare. Medium has tasty fat but usually the meat is a bit ruined. It's hard to get an in-between. A bit longer and the fat becomes completely liquid and starts evaporating a lot more.. which is bad.

I like the red mainly for tenderness and less so for the taste of blood. I had a t-bone a while ago done between rare/medium-rare and it was simply too big and raw in places.

I most enjoy the mixture of well rendered beef fat and tender meat, and prefer fatty and marbled cuts.

As for sides, it is good for anti-constipation/digestion to eat grilled vegetables. I prefer grilled asparagus, broccoli, green beans, and zucchini.

I avoid polluting the meal (with its powerful beef flavor) with other flavors and fats - so butter baked potato and anything fried takes away from the eating experience IMHO. It's already a high fat meal and the introduction of other fats can be overkill. Baked potato doesn't seem to complement steak that well for me- even though most love it.

Plain Rice- white or yellow is pretty good as it absorbs some of the beef juices and is neutral. Pilaf if too strong or salty is a no-no.

Then finish off the meal with a light dessert.
              Zhitomir-Berdichev, West of Kiev: 24 Dec 1943-31 Jan 1944
              Stalin's Favorite: The Combat History of the 2nd Guards Tank Army
              Barbarossa Derailed I & II
              Battle of Kalinin October 1941

Comment

The bovine should still be moving when the steak is served...

Comment

Wipe the butt and knock off the horns .
                  SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

Comment

Depends on the marbling and how lean it is. Personally, I don't like it too lean or too fatty or too thick. About an inch is good with slight marbling throughout. A quick marinade for getting the slab to room temp, slight sear will usually do it. If someone wants it medium, just leave it on for another 45-60 seconds. Even then, I prefer to make sure it's got a little pink. Some folks from the old country like it brown all the way through. Ugh, usually I tell that's it's better to use it for shaky-shaky beef salad.

Comment

Let's remember, FAT IS OUR FRIEND

You aren't eating cow because its pretty...The muscle of the animals we eat taste good because they are laced with fat, plain and simple. The idea...eat as much as you can without killing yourself.

I like rare to medium rare...pan fried about three minutes per face and a good searing on the edges. rest for upwards of 10 minutes after cooking (tented aluminium foil.)
                      Accompaniments: Steamed green veggies, potatoes, salad, rice, couscous or pasta.
                      I also like to smother a steak with sauteed onions and mushrooms, or just onions or make a steak sauce (never buy them.)

MUST BE EATEN WITH A GLASS OF RED WINE
                      John

Play La Marseillaise. Play it!

Comment

medium-rare

“Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.” -- Albert Einstein

The US Constitution doesn't need to be rewritten it needs to be reread

Comment

Rare. Should still be twitching.. Eat with a St. Emilion.
                          "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

Medium is pushing it. On a personal basis I would recommend medium-rare. Tender, but not Jell-O.

Comment

Marinade overnight with hot sauce, preferably Frank's Red Hot. Sear on both sides, about five minutes total over real wood charcoal, then leave rest. A little green salad (balsamic preferred) baked potato, and washed down with Glenlivet, followed by a Quesada Dominican cigar.
                              I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X