Bourbon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bourbon

So I've recently decided that I would like to become a once in a while bourbon drinker...probably because I like Humphrey Bogart. I sipped on a little Jack Daniels when preparing dinner a few times...not bad but I'm new to whiskey so I am going through that acquiring the taste phase. My local liquor store had a tasting table set up a few days ago with four bourbons; I felt it was a sign. Calumet, the best of what was on the table was not that easy to put down. At $40 US a bottle it should be. Comparatively the $12 bottle seemed to be fairly smooth.

Who's got a preference?

bogart and bourbon.jpg
    John

Play La Marseillaise. Play it!

George Dickel,

JD is not a bourbon.

http://www.alcoholreviews.com/SPIRIT...s2.shtml:love:
    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
      George Dickel,

JD is not a bourbon.

Sure about that?
      John

Comment

JD legally can't be called a bourbon because it isn't distilled in Kentucky. That being said, it's distilled like a bourbon. I've always wanted to like bourbon and Scotch, but I prefer tequila.

Comment

Originally posted by johns624 View Post
          JD legally can't be called a bourbon because it isn't distilled in Kentucky. That being said, it's distilled like a bourbon. I've always wanted to like bourbon and Scotch, but I prefer tequila.

Not quite true John.

Check my link above for some edcumcatin

Never liked Scotch and Tequila only with crushed ice and fixins.
          "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Tennessee whiskey is defined as straight bourbon whiskey distilled in Tennesseee.
            John

Comment

Not much of a Bourbon drinker, but I do drink a bit of Scotch when I'm home. I prefer Speyside and Islay single malts over blended and my favorite is anything from The Macallan.

http://www.themacallan.com/

One of my favorite sites:

https://flaviar.com/more

EDIT - This is where we spent last 4 of July. I was in Heaven.
              http://www.stanleyhotel.com/dining/whiskey-bar

http://www.stanleyhotel.com/uploads/...iskey_Menu.pdf
              If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Originally posted by johns624 View Post
                JD legally can't be called a bourbon because it isn't distilled in Kentucky...

For whiskey to be bourbon it must be distilled from a mash that is 51% corn. It has nothing to do with from where it was made.

Comment

Originally posted by McMax View Post
                  For whiskey to be bourbon it must be distilled from a mash that is 51% corn. It has nothing to do with from where it was made.
                  I was buying wine last night and on the counter was displayed a bourbon (don't remember the name but it had a gimmicky bottle) that the label revealed was distilled in New York state. Found it.

boubon.jpg

They don't give that to babies, do they?
                  John

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                    George Dickel,

JD is not a bourbon.

From Jim Beam's web site:
                    "By law, bourbon must be:

Produced in the USA
                    Made of a grain mix of at least 51% corn
                    Distilled at less than 160 proof (80% ABV)
                    No additives allowed (except water to reduce proof where necessary)
                    Aged in new, charred white oak barrels
                    Aged for a minimum of two years*
                    * To be called "Straight" bourbon
                    John

Comment

In the last few months (since we've been off sugar and soft drinks at home) I've gotten used to having a Makers Mark with water and one ice cube. Imbibing it slowly as the ice cube melts seems to be a quite civilised way to drink. Is MM considered a premium brand over there? It's a little dearer than JD or Beam over here, and at least it isn't sold in cans with rubbish cola as a pre mix.

Anyone out there like Bulleit bourbon? I always rejected it outright since I thought it was a made up brand name trying to sound cool and authentic, but it appears that it was indeed started by a Mr Bulleit. Still owned and marketed by a multinational though. Haven't tasted any, I don't drink much these days, having small kids you seem to need to be on you A game 24/7, so it takes me a while to go through a bottle.

Last edited by Chukka; 21 May 15, 03:01.
                      One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions - Admiral Grace Hopper

"The eunuch should not take pride in his chastity."
                      Wu Cheng'en Monkey

Comment

[QUOTE=Chukka;3039076]In the last few months (since we've been off sugar and soft drinks at home) I've gotten used to having a Makers Mark with water and one ice cube. Imbibing it slowly as the ice cube melts seems to be a quite civilised way to drink. Is MM considered a premium brand over there? It's a little dearer than JD or Beam over here, and at least it isn't sold in cans with rubbish cola as a pre mix.

Anyone out there like Bulleit bourbon? I always rejected it outright since I thought it was a made up brand name trying to sound cool and authentic, but it appears that it was indeed started by a Mr Bulleit. Still owned and marketed by a multinational though. Haven't tasted any, I don't drink much these days, having small kids you seem to need to be on you A game 24/7, so it takes me a while to go through a bottle.

I see Makers Mark in many average bars so I don't think it is premium, but I'm hardly an expert. You should be able to find reviews online. I tasted some Calumet twice in the last two weeks at our liquor store. First time I couldn't handle, second time it seemed smooth as can be. Go figure? I think I'm a sucker for the bottles, the color and the buzz.
                        Bourbon really comes pre-mixed? OMG!
                        John

Comment

I don't really drink anymore but back in my wilder days I was fond of Southern Comfort, Crown Royal, Wild Turkey and something called Fighting Cock! Never get in a chug a lug with someone and a bottle of Fighting Cock!

Pruitt
                          Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by Chukka View Post
                            In the last few months (since we've been off sugar and soft drinks at home) I've gotten used to having a Makers Mark with water and one ice cube. Imbibing it slowly as the ice cube melts seems to be a quite civilised way to drink. Is MM considered a premium brand over there? It's a little dearer than JD or Beam over here, and at least it isn't sold in cans with rubbish cola as a pre mix.

I see Makers Mark in many average bars so I don't think it is premium, but I'm hardly an expert. You should be able to find reviews online. I tasted some Calumet twice in the last two weeks at our liquor store. First time I couldn't handle, second time it seemed smooth as can be. Go figure? I think I'm a sucker for the bottles, the color and the buzz.
                            Bourbon really comes pre-mixed? OMG!
                            John

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
                              I don't really drink anymore but back in my wilder days I was fond of Southern Comfort, Crown Royal, Wild Turkey and something called Fighting Cock! Never get in a chug a lug with someone and a bottle of Fighting Cock!

Pruitt
                              Haha... depends on which one of you is the 'Fighting' one .
                              SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X