X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Half Pint John
    replied
    Originally posted by Salinator View Post
    My point was that raw egg is in so many food items...including sauces...dressings...condiments that just about everyone have eaten raw egg and may or may not know it. Heck...do you know how many pastry items are held together by raw egg? Fortunately commercial food uses pasteurized eggs. What you do not want to eat raw is that fresh farm egg right from the hen...ironically that is the egg that can kill you.
    I know Sal, like you I've eaten many things in life.

Leave a comment:

• Lāčplēsis
    replied
    My point was that raw egg is in so many food items...
    Good in a hangover cure too.....

Leave a comment:

• Salinator
    replied
    Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
    Not on salads and just a couple of those don't sound all that French to me.
    My point was that raw egg is in so many food items...including sauces...dressings...condiments that just about everyone have eaten raw egg and may or may not know it. Heck...do you know how many pastry items are held together by raw egg? Fortunately commercial food uses pasteurized eggs. What you do not want to eat raw is that fresh farm egg right from the hen...ironically that is the egg that can kill you.

Leave a comment:

• Half Pint John
    replied
    Mayonnaise? Remoulade? Hollandaise? Béarnaise? Thousand Islands? Louie? Caesar? Aioli? Mousse? Meringue? Tiramisu? Ice Cream? Cookie Dough? Sushi?
    Not on salads and just a couple of those don't sound all that French to me.

Leave a comment:

• Salinator
    replied
    Oil and vinegar here thank you. maybe some jogurt but raw egg...
    Mayonnaise? Remoulade? Hollandaise? Béarnaise? Thousand Islands? Louie? Caesar? Aioli? Mousse? Meringue? Tiramisu? Ice Cream? Cookie Dough? Sushi?

Leave a comment:

• Half Pint John
    replied
    Originally posted by JBark View Post
    Yes, who heard of a raw egg being incorporated in to a dish or sauce? This is upsurd. The next thing you'll be trying to tell us is that salad dressings use raw egg. Please!
    Oil and vinegar here thank you. maybe some jogurt but raw egg...

Leave a comment:

• JBark
    replied
    So how in H--- does an uncooked egg have something to do with cooking when it hasn't been cooked. French reasoning or logic perhaps
    Yes, who heard of a raw egg being incorporated in to a dish or sauce? This is upsurd. The next thing you'll be trying to tell us is that salad dressings use raw egg. Please!

Leave a comment:

• Lāčplēsis
    replied
    No no no. Firstly, his eating habits were just embellished folklore. Secondly, it was George Rector that claimed he was sent off to Paris by his father after hearing rave reviews from Brady. Rector's story has also been debunked.
    In truth I never met Jim Brady. Neither have anyone of us. OK. So let us assume Jim was St. Simeon Stylites personified. Food still travels.

Leave a comment:

• Salinator
    replied
    Originally posted by Lāčplēsis View Post
    Well, 'Diamond' Jim Brady stole Marguery sauce from Paris to enhance his sole... if not soul.
    No no no. Firstly, his eating habits were just embellished folklore. Secondly, it was George Rector that claimed he was sent off to Paris by his father after hearing rave reviews from Brady. Rector's story has also been debunked.

Leave a comment:

• Lāčplēsis
    replied
    You know thatdish was stolen from Americans? It was originally called Steack à l'Americaine.
    Well, 'Diamond' Jim Brady stole Marguery sauce from Paris to enhance his sole... if not soul.

Leave a comment:

• Half Pint John
    replied
    You know thatdish was stolen from Americans? It was originally called Steack à l'Americaine.
    Isn't the real term called roadkill?

Leave a comment:

• Half Pint John
    replied
    Originally posted by dgfred View Post
    I thought steak tartar was just about raw...

then probably invented by cavemen... without fire .
    That sounds like the French that I know.

Leave a comment:

• Lāčplēsis
    replied
    Must admit, though I have eaten both the French and Korean versions, I do prefer cooked food....

...and my champagne chilled!

Leave a comment:

• dgfred
    replied
    I thought steak tartar was just about raw...

then probably invented by cavemen... without fire .

Leave a comment:

• Lāčplēsis
    replied
    Stolen seems a bit of a harsh word;

"The modern version of steak tartare with raw egg was first served in French restaurants early in the 20th century. What is now generally known as "steak tartare" was then called steack à l'Americaine."

Question is; did the Koeans steal it too? Or did they invent Yukhoe?

Food does travel and gets reinvented, not always easy to know from whom and by whom.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X