No announcement yet.

the world's fave french food

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chinese food (20% world pop) is either: amazing, okay, or more often I simply don't get. The diversity is extreme, and some foods were designed for only people such as nobility.

But in general Chinese food requires very long preparation time and effort compared to Western food, which makes it complicated. Much is not even practical for day to day- nobody is going to spend 1-2 hours a day working in the kitchen to make one dish. There is a lot of chopping and cutting involved.

I only posted that to inquire how French food would compare. American food is quite dull and simple IMO compared to Chinese food.

But Western deserts are overall better than the Chinese ones outside of mochi and a few other things.

Originally posted by JBark View Post
    Why would you say this?

Do you think the food of China tastes good?

Do you prefer complex food to simpler cuisine?
    Zhitomir-Berdichev, West of Kiev: 24 Dec 1943-31 Jan 1944
    Stalin's Favorite: The Combat History of the 2nd Guards Tank Army
    Barbarossa Derailed I & II
    Battle of Kalinin October 1941

Comment

• Originally posted by sebfrench76 View Post
      Boomer,Tripadvisor says that in L.A,one of the best french restaurant is Café Bizou.And prices are really cheap indeed !

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran...a.html#REVIEWS
      Hey, Seb, I missed this post; it's actually not far from me at all. I've been there a few times for business and pleasure. Quite nice and reasonable as well. Frankly, for us, it's a semi-step-up restaurant, we need to be dressed properly and on good behavior. It's the kind of place that local power-brokers go to for their informal get-togethers. However, I also think that it's an inevitable result of being a "classy French" restaurant/bistro and because of that allows people to get a "classy" feel yet have an informal dining experience.
      By comparison, there's a place called La Frite not too far away from there which is much more of a informal bistro feel and you can bring your kids in sports gear there and not feel out of place. Unfortunately, while it's been around for decades, the quality has been up and down over the years.
      Many years ago, La Serre (used to be near Cafe Bizou) was a really excellent haute cuisine restaurant but closed due to ownership issues as well as economic problems.

Comment

When you asked this ,I was painting art works,and it was a bit late indeed...
        I think about the description you gave from the "rotisserie", the outside electric BBQ for chicken and potatoes .A quality chicken with "patates sautées " costs something like 15/20 Euros..
        I remember the same ones in Lisboa,another place for excellent food.And wines..
        You made a so vivid account of this that I felt I was on the market place on a Sunday,in Rouen ,surrounded by hords of bobo's drinking white wine and eating saucisson's slices,with their bikes close to them,talking politics and how it is hard to be a leftie with such a president..
        You need to be more active there...

It looks like something like this device.
        Heh, our Costco giant warehouse store has something exactly like that. And the chicken sells really really fast since it's quite tasty and inexpensive. Sometimes they even run out and people have to go shop until the next batch is ready. Usually they sell that with their barbecued baby back rib slabs. It's great combo for 4th July picnicking. BTW, the whole chicken is like $5; can't beat that. We usually take the leftovers and make a soup. Super good investment.

Comment

• Boomer,the price here is now around 15 til 20 euros for extra quality chicken...
          Not really a cheap meal..
          That rug really tied the room together

Comment

Boomer,the price here is now around 15 til 20 euros for extra quality chicken...
            Hmmm, a typical whole "fryer" is around $1-1.50/lb depending on sale or not. An organic free-range version is usually around $4.00/lb which would be considered extra-quality, notwithstanding any charge for special chef handling (not something I would expect to be much for a roasted chicken). Typical chicken for me is about 2.5-3.5lbs (~1-1.5 kilos) so let's see: an organic would work out to about $10-14 cooked. Geez, them euros sure do add up....

what determines extra-quality?

Comment

• If the chicken had a 100 meters run before the killing
              That is extra quality labeled,hehe..

Comment

Boomer,the price here is now around 15 til 20 euros for extra quality chicken...
                All kidding aside, I've heard that dining out in France -- not just Paris -- is pretty damned expensive, such that most French only dine out on special occasions, and otherwise "brown-bag" their lunch 360 out of 365 days. Was I misinformed?
                I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

• My missus and I often go to dinner outside.
                  Average bill (with wine ,a bottle ) is 75 euros.
                  We have reached 95, but this is an exception

Comment

• I buy whole roasted chickens (like costco) but get them at a local market. I do something strange: I freeze them and chop them into meal-sized pieces. Then use them to make a gruel chicken soup- it's my daily breakfast meal.

Costco is amazing though in how they can make selling big $5 roasted chickens economical. They are 2 1/2 pounds IIRC.

Comment

• Originally posted by boomer400 View Post
                      Heh, our Costco giant warehouse store has something exactly like that. And the chicken sells really really fast since it's quite tasty and inexpensive. Sometimes they even run out and people have to go shop until the next batch is ready. Usually they sell that with their barbecued baby back rib slabs. It's great combo for 4th July picnicking. BTW, the whole chicken is like $5; can't beat that. We usually take the leftovers and make a soup. Super good investment.
                      I bet you drink Coors lite with it.
                      "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cult Icon View Post
                        I buy whole roasted chickens (like costco) but get them at a local market. I do something strange: I freeze them and chop them into meal-sized pieces. Then use them to make a gruel chicken soup- it's my daily breakfast meal.

Costco is amazing though in how they can make selling big $5 roasted chickens economical. They are 2 1/2 pounds IIRC.
                        Costco is amazing though in how they can make selling big $5 roasted chickens economical. They are 2 1/2 pounds IIRC.[/QUOTE]

They don't make money directly, it is a loss leader to get you into Costco, I think they are pretty good, as good as most local stores that sell them. The price has been the same for probably 15 to 20 years just like their Hot Dog and drink for $1.50.
                        Try getting out of Costco without spending at least $100, it is possible with discipline but hard.

Comment

• Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                          I bet you drink Coors lite with it.
                          hah, can't drink worth a damn but if I did it would be with some Dogfish Head 90 min IPA, it's a little strong for me but I tend to make a bottle go for awhile.

Dogfish 90min IPA

Comment

• Originally posted by Warbird View Post

They don't make money directly, it is a loss leader to get you into Costco, I think they are pretty good, as good as most local stores that sell them. The price has been the same for probably 15 to 20 years just like their Hot Dog and drink for $1.50.
                            Try getting out of Costco without spending at least $100, it is possible with discipline but hard.
                            Yup, totally a loss but they make up for it all right. Just having people go shop for 20 mins while waiting for a fresh batch will do it. When that happens there's like 20 people lurking around and 40 in the rest of the store just to pick up their chicken. Same thing kind of happens during Halloween and Thanksgiving when they have their pumpkin pies out. I found that by going by myself with a Costco only dedicated shopping list, it's possible to keep the receipts down. One thing is to limit stuff to volume items which will last a long time and minimize perishables since Costco has them in huge sizes. The thing is for me, the damn flat screen aisle is like a siren call. The prices keep dropping and the tech keeps advancing. 4k flats in 60"! Tough to resist especially on Superbowl weekends.....

Comment

• That's interesting, although costco must make at least a thin margin off the chickens....just not enough to sustain a viable business just on it.

I buy 2-3 costco chickens whenever I go there and then chop them up/freeze them for breakfast. Each chicken fills 3 plastic boxes. However, the problem with such production is usually they are undercooked with a little red meat in the center.

At my local market, we have $6 roasted chickens but around 1 2/3 lb. These fill only 2 boxes. That is actually considered 'cheap/great value' - other places have it for $8, $9-11 usually @ only 1 1/2 lb.

Costco cakes are also huge, cheap, but at the same time, kind of bad. huge slabs of icing or bad cream with extreme sugar content. Their muffins croissants, bagels, and other standard bakery goods are also mass produced and feed offices.

Something about these techniques screams "only in america":

Last edited by Cult Icon; 05 Jun 15, 01:11.

Comment

• Are there cans of paint on the left pic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X