X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by sebfrench76 View Post
    August 1997......
    When Lady Di died..
    A woman told me in Washington the Day she got her accident :"you should be ashamed of your country "...
    There seems to be a lot of a##holes in this country that will voice thoughts like that. Coincidence, I was in your country that day.
    John

Play La Marseillaise. Play it!

Comment

• Originally posted by JBark View Post
      No offense to anyone, this is strictly my taste, but German food and ethnic groups with Germanic background can't compare to the flavors you find in Spanish, French and Italian foods.
      Next to no experience with the Spaisih table. Love Italian but a lot based on pasta and tomatoe sauces. to be 100% truthful, there is very little that I don't like something of what they offer. Considering the size, the mix of ethinic groups, and what is offered from nature I'm bias toward the good ole USA. Some of what is offered isn't the same in the "home country" but usually nicly sereved with many choises of side dishes which I find missing else where. OH, I got to toss in high marks for the Indian dish. Such a great mix of spices.
      "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

There seems to be a lot of a##holes in this country that will voice thoughts like that. Coincidence, I was in your country that day.
        Noooo??
        If I remember correctly,27 th of August?
        I enjoyed every second in Pennsylvania .
        I enjoyed every second in your country.
        I wish to show this again to my love and my son.
        That rug really tied the room together

Comment

No offense to anyone, this is strictly my taste, but German food and ethnic groups with Germanic background can't compare to the flavors you find in Spanish, French and Italian foods.
          I'll give you that on German food in general. Heavy gravy and something potatoe like or noodles. Salad but vegetables is usually a ? until it's white spargel season, which leaves me cold. A bunch of butter sauce to try to find the taste of the spargel with boiled potatoes, the dry white wine is usually the bast part. Of course you can do the spargel rapped in a chrep with ham but still...however they do have some great meals such as a good saurbraten. Then lentils with homemade noodles and a wurst tossed in is amoung my favorites.surprising to many, the Germans don't eat that much kraut.

Comment

• Originally posted by sebfrench76 View Post
            August 1997......
            When Lady Di died..
            A woman told me in Washington the Day she got her accident :"you should be ashamed of your country "...
            Don't get me started!!!!

Comment

• The most complex and sophisticated food comes from China
              Zhitomir-Berdichev, West of Kiev: 24 Dec 1943-31 Jan 1944
              Stalin's Favorite: The Combat History of the 2nd Guards Tank Army
              Barbarossa Derailed I & II
              Battle of Kalinin October 1941

Comment

• Originally posted by Cult Icon View Post
                The most complex and sophisticated food comes from China
                Sure.
                We just copied Chinese food.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cult Icon View Post
                  The most complex and sophisticated food comes from China
                  Why would you say this?

Do you think the food of China tastes good?

Do you prefer complex food to simpler cuisine?
                  John

Comment

• Strange but the last time I was in France there was simply nowhere to get a bite to eat that didn't come in a baguette that appeared to be made from chamois leather.

I am still mildly ashamed when I think of the pleasure I felt when I found a Macdonalds in Caen.

Everything to eat and go is either in a baguette or is a fancy looking cake thing that is not for the hungry.

There are restaurants of course, but who wants to sit in one in the daytime?

Take note SebFrench! YOU NEED A GREGGS PIE SHOP!!!

You will have to look it up though,this stupid "Rosbif" cannot get computers to do stuff for him!

Comment

Amazing. French food is held in the highest esteem throughout the world. Culinary schools all over the world will devote major portions of their curiculum to French food. French food is served in restaurants all over the world and is considered fantastic. French vineyards have been producing great wines for 100's of years and many of the greater vintages are sold for thousands of dollars. The two things required for great wine are found in France; location and experience. Few places on this earth have the proper climate and soil required for growing great grapes to make great wines, France is one.
                      I can appreciate that you may not have come across good food...there is always that possibility wherever you go. You may have been too cheap to invest in a really good meal. Finding the right wine takes a little work, you can't guarantee that every wine you drink will be to your liking but to be in France and not be able to find good food and wine is ridiculous. Either you didn't try (don't know how to find a cultures finer points when they are all around you), or you are just completely unlucky and found every bad meal and bad wine in France, OR you just don't like the French. I do have to say that I find the ignorance of your post to be incredible. Weren't you embarrassed to post it?
                      Aren't you embarrassed to ask such an absurd question? You should be.

Why would I be "embarrassed" to honestly post my personal experiences gained over a fourteen year periods living in Europe?

I was surprised myself, having heard the endless hype about French food, but I covered a lot of France in my travels, from Paris to Normandy, from the batrtlefields to the chateau's of the Loire Valley, and honestly never had a decent dining experience, or a decent French wine.

OTH, I have been to and eaten in 28 countries during my lifetime, and with only two exceptions, I have enjoyed the cuisine everywhere. The other exception was the much vaunted "kimchee" in Korea. I don't do rotten vegetables, but some of their other food was quite nice, and Vietnamese is excellent.

I should mention that I don't consider American food to be very good, either. We're too consumed with fast foods and huge quantities of carbs. Today, the best foods in America are Mexican, Italian, German, Japanese, Chinese, Vietnamese, Thai and so forth. Honest-to-God American cooking is a lost art.

How many countries have you been to?
                      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

If you like German you'll love Hungarian. Imagine German cuisine with less vegetables, more meat and paprika on everything....

Comment

• Skoblin ,I remember my first time with raifort in Hungary...Waaaahhh ,fire in my mouth!
                          I keep a good souvenir of the wine fest on the shores of the Balaton lake.....
                          We traveled to Hungary in a Citroen AX ,1.0 liter...
                          Was epic !

Comment

• Originally posted by Skoblin View Post
                            If you like German you'll love Hungarian. Imagine German cuisine with less vegetables, more meat and paprika on everything....
                            German cuisine with EVEN LESS vegetables, One has to look now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Skoblin View Post
                              I have to be fair I have not been to Germany so what I know from their cooking is the little bit we have in the states (which may or may not be close) and what I read of recipes. I am half Slovak and grew up eating the food of my people and loving it. If there are similar foods from Germany I may like them but I may also end up making comparisons and not liking the German: German sauer kraut to Slovak kapusta. We all love the food we grew up with.
                              John

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                                Aren't you embarrassed to ask such an absurd question? You should be.

Why would I be "embarrassed" to honestly post my personal experiences gained over a fourteen year periods living in Europe?

I was surprised myself, having heard the endless hype about French food, but I covered a lot of France in my travels, from Paris to Normandy, from the batrtlefields to the chateau's of the Loire Valley, and honestly never had a decent dining experience, or a decent French wine.

OTH, I have been to and eaten in 28 countries during my lifetime, and with only two exceptions, I have enjoyed the cuisine everywhere. The other exception was the much vaunted "kimchee" in Korea. I don't do rotten vegetables, but some of their other food was quite nice, and Vietnamese is excellent.

I should mention that I don't consider American food to be very good, either. We're too consumed with fast foods and huge quantities of carbs. Today, the best foods in America are Mexican, Italian, German, Japanese, Chinese, Vietnamese, Thai and so forth. Honest-to-God American cooking is a lost art.

How many countries have you been to?
                                No, I think my question was a good one. No reason to be embarrassed about it. I asked it because you chose to come to a thread titled "world's fave french food" and say that French food sucks, French wines suck and you don't think too highly of many of the people. As I pointed out the world thinks very highly of French food and French wine. This is without question. Anyone can see this with the simplest of research. Your OPINIONS based on your experiences I would have to guess come from a preconceived idea of the French, not from true experience in France. Of course we all have different tastes, no getting around that. High style French food is not for everyone...I've never had it and from reading some recipes I don't want to but go in to a country charcuterie...how could you not find something in there to like? If you truly are a "mountain man" this should be right up your alley. The rotisserie chikens dripping their fat on to potatoes...who wouldn't like that? Did you ever hunt duck? rabbit? Can you honestly tell me that the French don't have a recipe for one or the other that is good. Ever hear of coq au vin? Chicken stew in wine. You had it and didn't like it? Really?
                                French wines are desired the world over. They set the bar for other countries to try to meet...but they rarely do. You would have to be brain dead not to know that the red wines of France are not sold for thousands of dollars Lafitte-Rothschild? You've never heard how excited people get about champagne? Wine may not be your thing but let's accept that in France wine is with no doubt, damn good. That being said wine comes from a grape and if the grapes were not their best it still goes in to the wines. Business is business. My father in law said his father (French) in law drank wine that tasted like vinegar.
                                You can pretend that you found nothing to eat or drink that was decent but I'm pretty sure every one that read your posts here knows it is France you don't like. I'm sure you justify it with the rudeness you say you experienced there but I would simply country that the attitude you show here clearly shows that you were probably in France with a chip on your shoulder. Why I don't know and I would never ask. Why you would yell at a restaurant full of people in German I can only guess but to me that speaks volumes about rudeness on your behalf. Can I guess that you never asked directions in French? How are people treated here if they don't speak English or even if they speak it but do so with an accent? The truth. How many tourists with shitty attitudes do you think the French have to deal with? How many people come through that country with expectations based on WWII or some other part of history? Really, you think these people owe you something? Get real.
                                For you to say this:
                                "I was surprised myself, having heard the endless hype about French food, but I covered a lot of France in my travels, from Paris to Normandy, from the batrtlefields to the chateau's of the Loire Valley, and honestly never had a decent dining experience, or a decent French wine."
                                shows you have no idea how to go somewhere and find the best that their culture offers or you are a liar with a preconceived anti-French attitude. I think everyone here knows which one it is.
                                To ask me how many countries I have been to shows that you think this is some sort of contest and you will win if you have been to more countries than I. Wrong. I win the contest because I am not a bigot and I am open minded in my experiences with people that are different than I. I win because when I am in a foreign country I try to speak their language and apologize when I can not.
                                You should be embarrassed for displaying such bigotry here and for coming to a thread on favorite French foods to slam French cuisine and the French.

I hope you can take all this as constructive criticism and not a personal attack.
                                John

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X