Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

the world's fave french food

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Go cool off. That goes for EVERYONE.

    ACG Staff
    Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

    Prayers.

    BoRG

    http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

    Comment


    • #47
      Thread reopened - with a warning: keep the topic focused on food. Anybody attempting to use this thread as a sounding board for their cultural complaints or comments not immediately relevant to culinary sensibilities will end up a scooby-snack for a hungry wolf.


      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by Salinator View Post
        You do realize that German is the largest ethnic group in America? There are cities where is seems almost as if the entire population had Germanic surnames!
        Yes, Sal, i do realize that.
        I was deliberately stereotyping and needling the US members. Could not resist. Especially after some posts. Anyways. For me French food is among the best in the World. No. 1 is Italian Food.

        Originally posted by Salinator View Post
        Perhaps the most famous and acclaimed restaurant and possibly the most expensive in America is The French Laundry. You have to make reservations months ahead of time just for a weekday meal (not a weekend) during the SLOW SEASON. Want a Saturday Evening meal during Late Spring and Early Summer.........you need to be well connected.
        A Restaurant for the Rich... I admit that I'd love to dine there one day. Without paying half my monthly salary.

        Originally posted by Salinator View Post
        One issue is not so much French food, but really food claiming to be French "style". Cooking something with a cheap bottle of wine with a French label might be as "French" as it gets in some eateries.

        A second is the American palate that may not be accustomed to the French method of trying to highlight earthiness and the subtleties of different ingredients. Americans like BOLD and they love condiments.
        See? Americans like and Americans love. Maybe they really have a different taste...
        What i love in the US is that there are so many different immigration backgrounds that you'll find a restaurant for almost every culture. I had the best ethiopian food in the US for example. And the best Lobster. And the best Burgers. Also good fingerfood. Getting hungry now...

        Originally posted by Salinator View Post
        A third is the portion size in the eyes of Americans. We want BIG, but far too many restaurants seem to think that microscopic tidbits on a huge plate translates to even more "French".
        Ah, and again it's a We. Jaja die Amis...
        Last edited by Hanov; 17 Apr 15, 08:26.
        One death is a tragedy; one million is a statistic.

        Comment


        • #49
          I want to try garlic snails. I know I'll like them (I like anything garlic - the more garlic the better) but French eateries are rare, expensive and almost impossible to get a table at in Melbourne, and non existant in my 300kms from Melbourne life.
          Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

          That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

          Comment


          • #50
            I tried it once. It was slimy but good.
            IMO the point is:
            It is the sauce and the stuff served beside it that makes it good. A garlic sauce, cooked with the right wine and other stuff. You love garlic. I dare to to predict that you gonna like it...
            One death is a tragedy; one million is a statistic.

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by Hanov View Post
              I tried it once. It was slimy but good.
              IMO the point is:
              It is the sauce and the stuff served beside it that makes it good. A garlic sauce, cooked with the right wine and other stuff. You love garlic. I dare to to predict that you gonna like it...
              Cook a shoe in garlic and I'll eat it with a grin. But as I said: French food just isn't available here. We have everything else. We have the UN of food here, but French seems to have missed out except for some very small or very exclusive restaurants.

              But, hey, if I try it and don't like it at least I know that. There isn't much I don't like, and I've always enjoyed trying out food from all sorts of cultures. About the only things I refuse to eat is liver and kidneys, and Brussels sprouts.

              I do really like ox tongue though. Do the French have a good way of serving that?
              Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

              That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

              Comment


              • #52
                Garlic snails...
                So easy you cannot miss it.



                I never add shallots in this recipe,but,hey !Cooking is evolution !
                And we use our fingers ,snail forks suck!

                And some say french cooking 's too hard..
                That rug really tied the room together

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by Rojik View Post
                  Cook a shoe in garlic and I'll eat it with a grin.


                  Originally posted by Rojik View Post
                  But as I said: French food just isn't available here. We have everything else. We have the UN of food here, but French seems to have missed out except for some very small or very exclusive restaurants.

                  But, hey, if I try it and don't like it at least I know that. There isn't much I don't like, and I've always enjoyed trying out food from all sorts of cultures. About the only things I refuse to eat is liver and kidneys, and Brussels sprouts.

                  I do really like ox tongue though. Do the French have a good way of serving that?
                  I must admit that i have no clue. Haven't tried that one. Ox tongue? Is it like a steak?
                  One death is a tragedy; one million is a statistic.

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Boomer,Tripadvisor says that in L.A,one of the best french restaurant is Café Bizou.And prices are really cheap indeed !

                    http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran...a.html#REVIEWS
                    That rug really tied the room together

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      For me as a German it's always surprising how bad the meat in German supermarkets is. In France, in the US and in most European countries i travelled to, one gets got meat in a supermarket.
                      French cattle (and probably US too?!?!) is living on ranges/grazing land whereas German cattle is massed in stables. The difference is awful.
                      One death is a tragedy; one million is a statistic.

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        A couple of the sauces are fantastic. Bernays (ya I know) that isn't close to the proper spelling.
                        "Ask not what your country can do for you"

                        Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

                        you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Oxe tongue is a iconic french dish.We call this "langue de boeuf sauce piquante " (in a spicy sauce)
                          I cannot find a recipe in english on youtube ,sorry.
                          That rug really tied the room together

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                            A couple of the sauces are fantastic. Bernays (ya I know) that isn't close to the proper spelling.

                            IIRC you still owe me Chilly HPJ style. Instead of (again) overgrown bunkers maybe?
                            One death is a tragedy; one million is a statistic.

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Originally posted by sebfrench76 View Post
                              Garlic snails...
                              So easy you cannot miss it.



                              I never add shallots in this recipe,but,hey !Cooking is evolution !
                              And we use our fingers ,snail forks suck!

                              And some say french cooking 's too hard..
                              I didn't realise you could buy snails in a can. I'm bookmarking this because now I have a new mission.
                              Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

                              That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Originally posted by sebfrench76 View Post
                                Oxe tongue is a iconic french dish.We call this "langue de boeuf sauce piquante " (in a spicy sauce)
                                I cannot find a recipe in english on youtube ,sorry.
                                The Fr....
                                Sir, you want ox tongue or langue de boeuf sauce piquante?
                                One death is a tragedy; one million is a statistic.

                                Comment

                                Latest Topics

                                Collapse

                                Working...
                                X