No announcement yet.

the world's fave french food

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My (francophile German) mother (while living in Ann Arbor, MI in the 90s) once served a Tarte for dinner which was imo delicious. The invited neighbour, Mr Bill Miller, obviously did not like it too much. He honored my mom in the foreword of his book 'The Anatomy of Disgust'
    http://www.amazon.com/Anatomy-Disgus...omy+of+Disgust with the words that he could have added a whole chapter after eating this Tarte

Maybe Americans just have another taste for food...
    Last edited by Hanov; 13 Apr 15, 10:57.
    One death is a tragedy; one million is a statistic.

Comment

Originally posted by Hanov View Post
      You mean American 'beer' do you?
      Well done...
      That rug really tied the room together

Comment

My (francophile German) mother (while living in Ann Arbor, MI in the 90s) once served a Tarte for dinner which was imo delicious. The invited neighbour, Mr Bill Miller, obviously did not like it too much. He honored my mom in the foreword of his book 'The Anatomy of Disgust'
        http://www.amazon.com/Anatomy-Disgus...omy+of+Disgust with the words that he could have added a whole chapter after eating this Tarte

Oh come on...50 million Americans have roots in Germany. From 300+ million people of course they have another taste in food but just how different? Going from
        German Gasthaus, Germans don't like vegetables. Most American restaurants you have a choice of three different ones for side dishes. I don't believe even the French offer up such a selection. Disregard all the fast food chains and America offers the best selection of good quality food at a reasonable price.

Coastal Trio

Tender lobster tail and jumbo skewered shrimp brushed with garlic scampi butter paried with light, flaky tilapia topped with your choice of creole seasoning or a lemon-Parmesan crust.

For under $20
        "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Dont get me wrong John. I love French cuisine and had veeery good food in the States. And i know that there are big differences from state to state and north/south etc. I just saddled my own stereotyping horse after other posters went that way...

posted from mobile
          One death is a tragedy; one million is a statistic.

Comment

Originally posted by sebfrench76 View Post
            Excellent !
            Thank you. We export a lot of wine from Saskatchewan, mainly to Middle east countries who are unfamiliar with alcohol;.
            Or - Saskatchewan....

">>>Pure Goat ****, a fine fighting wine,- that definitely opens the sluices at both end..."

"The Yemeni Barred and Griiled magazine..."
            The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

Comment

Hmm, a few things I liked while in France :
              amazing macarons and pastries from LaDuree and Herme
              a really nice lapin, and a nice froie gras in a Bayeux restaurant, IIRC L'Assiette Normand
              a simple yet perfect croissant and coffee while people-watching in St. Germain
              a surprisingly good chateaubriand at L'Auberge Bressane on Ave. de Motte-Picquet and my wife had a very interesting and tasty Quenelles a brochette which I've never seen before.
              Peculiarly, I did not find the perfect fabled baguette while there. I suspect this is because I prefer the taste and texture of Vietnamese style banh-mi bread which is softer and fluffier. Not to say that Paris baguettes were bad, they were good, just not the same as banh-mi bread for me.

Unfortunately, I'm not much of a drinker so I couldn't possibly mention wines at all though I did have a murderously good Calvados at L'Auberge which made it good thing to have a hotel just a couple of blocks away by foot.

Comment

You know, what I didn't like too much was visiting Arromanches and not having much decent stuff aside from the usual tourist claptrap. Of course, I didn't have much time to explore the town though. The museum and 360 degree film were good and the view of what's left of the Mulberries was excellent. But I was hoping for a little something and not a pizza joint type something.
                However, going to the American Cemetery at Colleville-sur-Mer made up for (even if we came too late and had to a little Entering and Evasion). It's a sobering place yet dramatic and expansive. Well placed, rest those souls in peace.....

Comment

I meant seriously: what are some good french dishes or treats?

I personally have an avoidance towards comfort food like that which is served in Boston Market or private establishments. It is incredibly bland and a waste of good ingredients.
                  Zhitomir-Berdichev, West of Kiev: 24 Dec 1943-31 Jan 1944
                  Stalin's Favorite: The Combat History of the 2nd Guards Tank Army
                  Barbarossa Derailed I & II
                  Battle of Kalinin October 1941

Comment

Originally posted by Cult Icon View Post
                    I meant seriously: what are some good french dishes or treats?

I personally have an avoidance towards comfort food like that which is served in Boston Market or private establishments. It is incredibly bland and a waste of good ingredients.
                    My poor English doesn't allow me to fully understand your question.
                    You tried French food in Boston and you don't like what you ate .?
                    You're looking for good and iconic French dishes?
                    Am I correct ?

Comment

Originally posted by boomer400 View Post
                      You know, what I didn't like too much was visiting Arromanches and not having much decent stuff aside from the usual tourist claptrap. Of course, I didn't have much time to explore the town though. The museum and 360 degree film were good and the view of what's left of the Mulberries was excellent. But I was hoping for a little something and not a pizza joint type something.
                      However, going to the American Cemetery at Colleville-sur-Mer made up for (even if we came too late and had to a little Entering and Evasion). It's a sobering place yet dramatic and expansive. Well placed, rest those souls in peace.....
                      Next time,try Courseulles sur mer and its museum of the wrecks of the DDay,giant!
                      Plus the place has decent restaurants in the vicinity.

Comment

You do realize that German is the largest ethnic group in America? There are cities where is seems almost as if the entire population had Germanic surnames!

My poor English doesn't allow me to fully understand your question.
                        You tried French food in Boston and you don't like what you ate .?
                        You're looking for good and iconic French dishes?
                        Am I correct ?
                        Perhaps the most famous and acclaimed restaurant and possibly the most expensive in America is The French Laundry. You have to make reservations months ahead of time just for a weekday meal (not a weekend) during the SLOW SEASON. Want a Saturday Evening meal during Late Spring and Early Summer.........you need to be well connected.

One issue is not so much French food, but really food claiming to be French "style". Cooking something with a cheap bottle of wine with a French label might be as "French" as it gets in some eateries.

A second is the American palate that may not be accustomed to the French method of trying to highlight earthiness and the subtleties of different ingredients. Americans like BOLD and they love condiments.

A third is the portion size in the eyes of Americans. We want BIG, but far too many restaurants seem to think that microscopic tidbits on a huge plate translates to even more "French".
                        Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Why am i not surprised to read this ?
                          Since December 2012 and my registering here,I have had many occasions to see your admiration for my homeland.
                          With "pure goat ****" ,you reach the top.Leftists frogs will pay you for being the caricature of the red necks they love to bash.
                          2000 years of wine culture summed up in 3 words.
                          It's only the internet but sometimes it hurts.
                          Facts suck, don't they? Parisians are rude beyond belief, and they were that way every single time I went there. Beyond that, Paris was one of the filthiest cities in Europe. Even other Frenchmen told me they don't like Parisians either for the same reasons - arrogance and an undeserved attitude of superiority.

And before you ask, I'm a big fan of the cathedrals, museums and the history in Paris, enough to put up with fecal French.

The only parts of France that were courteous and decent were the people in the Loire Valley and the Normany region, especially St. Mere Eglise when they found out I was a paratrooper with the 101st. But only 12 km away I was refused directions by the owner and patrons in a roadside bar, until I chewed their asses out in German and informed them that my father had been in the third wave at OMAHA Beach, but why any American died for people like them was beyond my comprehension. A patron actually followed me out, apologized and gave me directions, in German. I used German because my experience was that older French people had learned some German out of necessity during the Occupation.

You're not in a position to question my personal experiences in your country...ever.
                          Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Do we officialy begin a flame war ?
                            I love the bolded last sentence.
                            I keep it in mind,be sure of that
                            I took flack from you 2 years ago.
                            Obviously,all the efforts I have done here to offer a different perspective of the frogs ,have been useless with you.You stay on your conception of a supposed well-known France,full of **** and former collaborators.
                            There are others buttons on your remote control,than the fox news one.

Comment

Do we officialy begin a flame war ?
                              I love the bolded last sentence.
                              I keep it in mind,be sure of that
                              I took flack from you 2 years ago.
                              Obviously,all the efforts I have done here to offer a different perspective of the frogs ,have been useless with you.You stay on your conception of a supposed well-known France,full of **** and former collaborators.
                              There are others buttons on your remote control,than the fox news one.
                              I blame the Exported wine from Moose Jaw...

there WAS a Moose Jaw winery. ( Butt of Canadian Jokes before it closed).
                              In 1963, there was a Balkan trade war between Provincial liquor stores, and Saskatchewan slapped a 25% or so "import tariff' on non Provincial , err, wines...

The loophole was that wineries could have it waived IF they exported as much as they imported, using local ingredients....

So Calona Wines opened a winery, imported labrusca grapes and 'juices' and made 'fortified sherries in the Gallon jugs.....

Four Aces, Old Niagara, and the unforgettable- Centennial '67.... using industrial alcohol and beet sugar...

http://www.winesofcanada.com/sask.html

its getting better....
                              The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

Comment

I come back,your last sentence is not acceptable.
                                Who are you to give me advices like these,in a "the good fella" way ???
                                Who are you to know France so much better than me,when you are the first to say to foreign members "shut the **** off ,you know nothing to the States "
                                You're the first French basher ,you hate me ,and what's best,I don't even know why ???
                                Because of a French ****ing ******* who may be didn't understood your question at first time when you were asking for direction.??
                                Because of a wine that your US palate wasn't able to appreciate?
                                Because of this rude French waiter?

You're 70 or something like that.
                                You act like like a 15 y/o boy

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X