So, peaty or not peaty?
    Hyperwar: World War II on the World Wide Web
    Hyperwar, Whats New
    World War II Resources
    The best place in the world to "work".

Comment

Originally posted by OpanaPointer View Post
      So, peaty or not peaty?
      I think I like peaty personally. But (as I think I saw someone say on an earlier page of this thread), I think more test data is in order.
      "A foolish man thinks he knows everything if placed in unexpected difficulty; but he knows not what to answer, if to the test he is put."

--Hávamál

Comment

Originally posted by Super Six 4 View Post
        I think I like peaty personally. But (as I think I saw someone say on an earlier page of this thread), I think more test data is in order.
        I hadn't tried it until a friend in Scotland sent me a bottle of Bruichladdich 12 yo. Interesting, but a bit too intense for me. I still drank it, of course.
        Hyperwar, Whats New
        World War II Resources

Comment

So, peaty or not peaty?
          Depends on the mood I'm in, but Ardbeg will always be in my collection. My wife hates the smell of the stuff, tho.

Comment

The other night I tried some Crown Royal--which my roommate prefaced was exceptional. I thought it was good, but sort of missed the peaty flavor of Scotch (Crown is Canadian, so I suppose that explains it).

EDIT: By that I mean that it being Canadian whiskey explains why it doesn't have the peaty flavor of Scotch--not trying to say anything negative about it being Canadian lol!
            "A foolish man thinks he knows everything if placed in unexpected difficulty; but he knows not what to answer, if to the test he is put."

--Hávamál

Comment

Originally posted by Super Six 4 View Post
              The other night I tried some Crown Royal--which my roommate prefaced was exceptional. I thought it was good, but sort of missed the peaty flavor of Scotch (Crown is Canadian, so I suppose that explains it).
              Was it the Crown Royal Northern Harvest? That was recently declared "World Whisky of the Year" by the author of The Whisky Bible.

Frankly, even as a Canadian, I'm a bit skeptical. I would have described Crown Royal as decent and reliable but not "exceptional".

Comment

I don't think it was the Northern Harvest. I think it was just the regular Crown Royal. "Exceptional" is my own word, perhaps a bit hyperbolic of a paraphrase for what my friend actually said come to think of it.

--Hávamál

Comment

Peaty but smooth. Which is to say an Islay, not Glenlivet.
                  AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
                  The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Comment

And Speyside?
                    Hyperwar, Whats New
                    World War II Resources

Comment

And Speyside?
                      The McCallan has a legitimate claim on the title of "best" scotch, in my opinion. (Yeah, I know, regulations call it a "Highland").

So, yeah, Speysides can be great.

Comment

Originally posted by DingBat View Post
                        Was it the Crown Royal Northern Harvest? That was recently declared "World Whisky of the Year" by the author of The Whisky Bible.

Frankly, even as a Canadian, I'm a bit skeptical. I would have described Crown Royal as decent and reliable but not "exceptional".
                        When it comes to blended whisky, I prefer Canadian. I have a bottle of Johnny Walker Black that I rarely touch, but I do enjoy Black Velvet quite a bit.
                        If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Now, Boss Lady has a budget of ~$250US for a bottle of the good. Any suggestions in that price range, lads?
                          Hyperwar, Whats New
                          World War II Resources

Comment

Now, Boss Lady has a budget of ~$250US for a bottle of the good. Any suggestions in that price range, lads?
                            http://www.binnys.com/spirits/Macall...al_163461.html
                            If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Well spotted!
                              Hyperwar, Whats New
                              World War II Resources

Comment

I'm a sucker for new/different things. Tried this on the weekend (Kavalan Concertmaster) http://www.kavalanwhisky.com/en/product/index.aspx

I quite enjoyed the taste I had. You can definitely taste the port cask tones. Somewhat reminiscent of The McCallan.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X