French Waiter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• French Waiter

A WSJ article where I (unsurprisingly perhaps) fully side with the French waiter.
    IMO the problem is especially a matter of cultural differences.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/in-defen...ter-1424371178
    BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Hello MS!Glad to hear from you!

French waiters mainly suck.
    My daughter is the exception,she is brilliant.
    That rug really tied the room together

Comment

“Ah, non, Madame,” he replied. “You ordered what you like. A man never contradicts a lady.”

He started toward the kitchen, then turned back to address my boyfriend: “Now, if it had been Monsieur who had ordered this Kir, I would absolutely have contradicted him.”

That's great. I hope I meet him one day.
      Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

I've never had a problem with French service I think often the arrogance comes from the tourist side as well.

Comment

Originally posted by joea View Post
          ...I think often the arrogance comes from the tourist side as well.
          Such attitude by tourists might indeed be employed to disguise incertainty in the face of superior knowledge, elegant surroundings and a foreign language you do not master very wel as a tourist.
          I can imagine such combination can be quite impressive and in order to give yourself an attitude not be appear an oaf and safe some face, arrogance may come easily.
          BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

I've never had a problem with French service I think often the arrogance comes from the tourist side as well.
            I'm in France every year, but never been to Paris. I've heard Paris is almost a seperate country to France in the attitude of its people to tourists/science/the arts/etc.

So far, the service has always been decent and sometimes exceptional.
            The food has sometimes been less than acceptable, but the people have never been less than polite and usually much more than that.

This may be due to the fact that we never use 'chains', but go where the 'locals' (ie French) go. Having said that, I've never eaten food in a French 'chain' (such as McD et al) afaik.
            How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
            Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

Service in France varies as anywhere. Worst service I had was in a hotel in Maribel which considering the small fortune we were paying was not good. However the waiters in the nearby bars were very friendly.
              "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

It is arrogance and ignorance from the Tourist side. It is pride, training, and acting from the French Waiter side.

Dining is serious business to the French. I can't speak of other countries, but in America, students go wait tables to pay for college or until they get a "career job", while in France you go to school to become waiter. I would wager that a higher percentage of waiters in France went to Waiter Schools than Chefs in America having gone to Culinary Schools.

A properly trained French Waiter is the epitome of efficiency, knowledge, experience. He is not your friend. You are Sir or Madame to him, and his name is of no consequence to you for he is only there to serve you. He will not smile so as not to distract you from concentrating on the ritual of the meal. He will not ask you how the food is for he has confidence in the kitchen and expect you to gesture him over if things are not right. He knows what foods go well together and what wines are good matches. He can spot food allergies and should you choke you better hope that you are in a restaurant with classically trained French Waiters because they know the Heimlich maneuver and other first aid. They'll probably even remove the stains from your clothes after they save you from the stupidity of not chewing properly. The French Waiter will never bring you your check until you give him the signal because if you are in a rush......you shouldn't be dining.

If you are not in France but are in America:
                You want people kissing your ass all the time in a restaurant - eat Japanese.
                You want friendly go happy service - eat Australian.
                You want ketchup automatically brought to you - eat Irish.
                You want to dance between bites - eat Russian.
                You want a huge variety of food but truly crappy service and indifference from the entire staff - eat Chinese
                You want food cooked by Mexicans - eat Italian.
                You want really fine dining coupled with the classical waiter experience - eat French.
                Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Sal...
                  Just ....WOW !!
                  That is a very accurate understanding of the french conception of a moment at the restaurant.
                  My daughter was graduated in July after a 3 years cursus in a french cooking and service collège...
                  That's a real job.
                  Beside note,one of her recent customer was Jean Dujardin,Winner of an Oscar for "the Artist"
                  He didn't let a tip at the end of the dinner,hehehe...( more than 150 000 €/month,life's hard,ya know!)
                  Last edited by sebfrench76; 18 Mar 15, 23:52.
                  That rug really tied the room together

Comment

Originally posted by Salinator View Post
                    It is arrogance and ignorance from the Tourist side. It is pride, training, and acting from the French Waiter side.

Dining is serious business to the French. I can't speak of other countries, but in America, students go wait tables to pay for college or until they get a "career job", while in France you go to school to become waiter. I would wager that a higher percentage of waiters in France went to Waiter Schools than Chefs in America having gone to Culinary Schools.

A properly trained French Waiter is the epitome of efficiency, knowledge, experience. He is not your friend. You are Sir or Madame to him, and his name is of no consequence to you for he is only there to serve you. He will not smile so as not to distract you from concentrating on the ritual of the meal. He will not ask you how the food is for he has confidence in the kitchen and expect you to gesture him over if things are not right. He knows what foods go well together and what wines are good matches. He can spot food allergies and should you choke you better hope that you are in a restaurant with classically trained French Waiters because they know the Heimlich maneuver and other first aid. They'll probably even remove the stains from your clothes after they save you from the stupidity of not chewing properly. The French Waiter will never bring you your check until you give him the signal because if you are in a rush......you shouldn't be dining.

If you are not in France but are in America:
                    You want people kissing your ass all the time in a restaurant - eat Japanese.
                    You want friendly go happy service - eat Australian.
                    You want ketchup automatically brought to you - eat Irish.
                    You want to dance between bites - eat Russian.
                    You want a huge variety of food but truly crappy service and indifference from the entire staff - eat Chinese
                    You want food cooked by Mexicans - eat Italian.
                    You want really fine dining coupled with the classical waiter experience - eat French.
                    If you want to feel like you can conquer the world, eat German.

If you want to blow somebody up, eat Middle Eastern.

If you want to feel constantly persecuted, eat Jewish.

Actually, Seb, some of the worst food I ever ate was served to me by some really nasty waiters in Paris, repeatedly. Some of the best service and food I got was in Holland and Germany.
                    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X