How to Tenderize Cheap Steaks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SRV Ron View Post
    The key is to grill the meat quickly so it doesn't get tough.
    That is the key right there. You stating that it is too cold outside means your grill aint near hot enough. Personally I don't grill on anything but wood using a regular charcoal grill.

If you still want to do it inside, might I suggest pan frying. Take a frying pan and place on stove on high or close to high after coating with some oil or butter. Wait until you can drop some water in the pan and it "dances" instead of evaporating. This means you are good to go temp wise. Proceed with cooking steaks and enjoy.

Comment

On the stove, I've had decent results with a grill pan (properly shaped for stove burners though and with deep enough grill patterns). Has to be hot enough and I need a decent vent fan so the smoke doesn't fill the house up. Steak has to be marinated/tenderized a long time and I find a little honey helps with the carbonizing flavor profile. Much bigger mess for cleanup and it's hell to store and carry around (needs to be heavy to store enough heat so that when the steak goes on, it doesn't cool at all - like they all said above). I wouldn't use super expensive cuts of meat there but just a regular ribeye will be fine; marbling definitely makes a big difference.

Comment

Brine-ing, dry or wet, is often a route for tenderizing and retaining moisture.

Consider light dry rub of (sea) salt and let sit 12-24 hours, rinse then cook. Or soak in a solution for about half the time (roughly tablespoon of salt per 1-2 cups water). Rinse and cook.
        TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch

Comment

Originally posted by MonsterZero View Post
          Can I add a teaspoon of meat tenderizer powder to the zesty Italian marinade to make it more effective?

Be mindful when using this stuff. If the tenderizer is left on the meat too long before cooking, your meat will become mushy.
          "Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

Originally posted by OpanaPointer View Post
            Ziploc, bottle of zesty Italian dressing, overnight.
            A lot of good suggestions but the above is probably the best. It doesn't require a lot of your time. If you pick a labor intense method....it would be better to spend that time on a good cut of meat.

Comment

Beer. Preferably lager or pilsner. Soak it overnight, helps breakdown the fibres and adds flavour all at the same time.
              BoRG
              "... and that was the last time they called me Freakboy Moses"

Comment

Originally posted by Arthwys View Post
                Beer. Preferably lager or pilsner. Soak it overnight, helps breakdown the fibres and adds flavour all at the same time.
                Barbarian!

Either do the Italian Dressing or some Chianti. Save your beer for pork chops.
                Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Just found this one on the net MZ

http://fb-226.dailymegabyte.com/how-...ely-delicious/
                  "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

I recommend you use a barbeque to cook meat. If you don't want the burnt part wrap the meat in foil and close the lid on the barbeque. This may take longer, depending on the temperature, but the tenderness will be worth it. If you cook at low heat, say around 300°F, there'll be no shrinkage. If you're bothered about the meat being too raw, use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature for doneness.
                    The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. Thomas Jefferson.

Comment

None has mentioned stabbing with garlic. Poke holes and fill with garlic.

Gads do you cook at all?
                      Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by MonsterZero View Post
                        Grilled my steaks for guests on electric plate grill yesterday but they came out very tough. Embarrassing. I'm still an amateur steak cook. The cuts I used yesterday were less expensive.

Any good marinade recipes or other means of tenderizing steaks that works for you?

Yup! 2 ultimate tenderizers:
                        Greek Yoghurt or Labneh (same thing - just depends if one favours the Greek or Turkish nomenclature).
                        Method:
                        1. Have a snifter of the good stuff to start enjoying the evening....
                        2. Tip into a blender a quantity of the yoghurt/labneh
                        3. Coarsly chop herbs of one's choice, basil, oregano, sage... whatever one prefers
                        4. Add some salt, pepper, garlic. I use Himalayan Mountain salt but any salt will work.
                        5. Wizz the mixture
                        6. Pour over steaks or meat of ones choice (it can work with any meat, maybe depending one might choose different herbs.. a personal choice)
                        7. Let the marinade rest for 2 to 6 hours depending
                        8. Cook meat
                        9. Share with friends
                        10. Relax with a fine brandy and cigar.

The other ultimate tenderizer is pineapple juice.

Historical note: the Chindits, precursor of the SAS, cut off from air supply, behind enemy lines in Burma, 1943-1944 survived for a time on a diet of pineapples. They survived but the pineapple weakened their gums severely.... Obviously that was extreme to exist on a mono-diet but illustrates the tenderizing properties of pineapple juice.

Bon Apetit!
                        Per Ardua ad Astra

Comment

Do it like slick does it. Rap then in tin foil and but them out in the street at rush hour.
                          Be careful of the cabs when you pick them up.
                          "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Place steak on cutting board. Take a cast iron skillet and whack it one time. Turn steak over and repeat process. Voila! One tenderized steak.
                            "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X