No announcement yet.

Which Cusine is Popular in Your State ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have a sizable Finnish Population the Hoito is a popular restaurant. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hoito
    I've tried and liked the Suolakala (Salt Fish) raw cured Atlantic Salmon.
    I'm staying away from the Real Canadian Super Store's Sushi Bar though.
    http://www.tbnewswatch.com/News/3852...tore_sushi_bar

Comment

Originally posted by SmackUm View Post
      We have a sizable Finnish Population the Hoito is a popular restaurant. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hoito
      I've tried and liked the Suolakala (Salt Fish) raw cured Atlantic Salmon.
      I'm staying away from the Real Canadian Super Store's Sushi Bar though.
      http://www.tbnewswatch.com/News/3852...tore_sushi_bar
      Finnish cuisine doesn't generally translate well for restaurant experiences, it's more of the home cook variety. That said, salmon is something that no matter where I eat it except for Finland tastes like chewing rotten wood. Dunno what causes it, perhaps it's not fresh, or the cooking method just isn't the same...any case, raw cured salmon with rye bread is worth trying and something that only sushi comes close to(but not close enough).
      Wisdom is personal

Comment

Originally posted by Super Six 4 View Post
        Never once seen a Taiwanese place in California. Certainly not in my hometown, nor the general area where I go to school, nor anywhere else I've been in the state...which is not a terribly short list.

Venture into Alhambra or Monterey Park and you'll find lots of Taiwanese restaurants, along with a variety of other Asian eateries.
        "Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

Originally posted by Karri View Post
          Finnish cuisine doesn't generally translate well for restaurant experiences, it's more of the home cook variety. That said, salmon is something that no matter where I eat it except for Finland tastes like chewing rotten wood. Dunno what causes it, perhaps it's not fresh, or the cooking method just isn't the same...any case, raw cured salmon with rye bread is worth trying and something that only sushi comes close to(but not close enough).
          The Salt Fish Sandwich is something that you would find at a Finnish wedding or funeral when they are trying to put out their best. I know what you mean by it doesn't translate out well in English.
          We have lots of English Fish and Chip joints in town this is the more common fish dinner in Canada.
          I'd use a Beer Batter: 1 beer, 1 egg, 1 cup flour, 1tbsp sugar, 1tsp baking powder, 1tsp salt, 1/2tsp pepper.
          First in a bowl beat egg add the rest of the ingredients and wisk.
          Good for fish, oysters, mushrooms & other vegetables.
          When I lived on Surfside Drive, Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island in 1972 I could just walk out on the beach during low tide and get oysters.
          A year latter down island at Duncan I could ride my bike to Maple Bay and catch Ocean Perch at the pier.
          We would hang a worm on a hook to catch prawns (or a tin of cat food w/holes poked in it in a minnow trap) and bust them up to catch spawning Ocean Perch they spawned about this time of year.
          I'd cut across under the gill plate then stand the fish up in a clamp board and work the filleting knife down against the rib cage.
          Cut off the skin then cut into 1x1 pieces boneless and deep fry till golden brown in fry pan or wok.
          Next week the Walleye Season opens it is the most popular fish in these parts (North Western Ontario).
          Last edited by SmackUm; 16 May 16, 09:28.

Comment

Originally posted by Super Six 4 View Post
            Never once seen a Taiwanese place in California. Certainly not in my hometown, nor the general area where I go to school, nor anywhere else I've been in the state...which is not a terribly short list.
            Most Taiwanese restaurants are going to look like any other Chinese restaurant to most people. Another problem is that to tap into the mainstream customer base, the menu is nearly always bastardized like virtually all Chinese eateries.

Taiwanese food has very little consumer demand or awareness based on the word "Taiwanese". There are some immensely popular restaurants where the vast majority of people still have no clue they are eating Taiwanese food if they were not told. Think of it this way: most of time when one go for Italian food or Mexican food, there really is no way to know from the name of the establishment or from looking into the window to know exactly the region that is represented.......unless of course you are privy to certain knowledge such as the name is a town in Tuscany.

Taiwanese cuisine is really tricky to understand. It is a fusion food for there was no real Taiwanese identity until maybe the last two or three decades. You may already have eaten in one or more of them and did not know it.

Here is a list of "Taiwanese" restaurants in San Francisco. With only a few exceptions, you will have read the menu and be very familiar with Taiwanese food to realize that it is indeed a Taiwanese restaurant.

1) A Taste of Formosa
            2) Taiwan
            3) Five Happiness
            4) House of Pancakes
            5) The Chairman
            6) Tea Papa
            7) San Tung
            8) The Flame
            9) Chef Gao
            10) Wonderland
            11) Wild Pepper
            12) Spices II
            13) Yamo
            14) Mission Chinese Food
            15) Hunan Home (Yes it is Taiwanese)
            16) Xiao Long Bao
            17) Aroma Tea Shop
            18) Kingdom of Dumpling

I'm sure you get the picture, so I will not waste time and space to type out the other 100 or so.
            Last edited by Salinator; 16 May 16, 23:34.
            Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

I would say the original map is a bit too general. For example, in Arizona Sonoran and Sinaloan style Mexican food predominates were as in Texas "Tex-Mex" does. New Mexico has a different style too.

There are a few Mexico City and Michoacán style restaurants as well. Maricos (seafood Mexican style) restaurants are now a popular thing here as well. You won't see those in New Mexico or Texas near as much.

The mom and pop / locally owned places are usually far better than the chain Mexican restaurants too.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                I would say the original map is a bit too general. For example, in Arizona Sonoran and Sinaloan style Mexican food predominates were as in Texas "Tex-Mex" does. New Mexico has a different style too.

There are a few Mexico City and Michoacán style restaurants as well. Maricos (seafood Mexican style) restaurants are now a popular thing here as well. You won't see those in New Mexico or Texas near as much.

The mom and pop / locally owned places are usually far better than the chain Mexican restaurants too.
                Best that I had was at the Winslow Airport
                "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

I have eaten various forms of 'Chinese' food in over forty countries and it has been adapted in every instance to some extent to meet the local preferences. The Chinese aren't dim (sung or not) and the customer gets what the customer likes.. The most enjoyable was in a hotel restaurant in Jakarta but then it was where the local Chinese restaurant owners used to have their monthly dinner. Tex Mex I have only eaten in Houston, Dallas and San Antonio and despite its billing it did seem very bland compared to some Mexican food I have eaten in other parts of the world. Similarly Indian (really Bengali and hence Bangladeshi) nosh I have had in the USA has been very mediocre with the honourable exception of a restaurant in Atlanta where a British colleague and I went to lunch and on learning that we were English the proprietress served us up a real Bengali meal. In terms of US provender the best grub I have had has been Cajun
                  Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                  Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

I make some damn good BBQ. I've yet to see something that compares in a store or restaurant...

But I make my own sauce and buy the cuts of meat personally if I don't butcher them myself... Plus I slow cook on a custom BBQ...
                    Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
                      I make some damn good BBQ. I've yet to see something that compares in a store or restaurant...

But I make my own sauce and buy the cuts of meat personally if I don't butcher them myself... Plus I slow cook on a custom BBQ...
                      IFn your not slow cooking then your not BBQ ing just grilling meat. Big difference.

Comment

Originally posted by dgfred View Post
                        How did gluten free and Hawaiian get in the mid-west?
                        Those are Mtn States Greg

Comment

Just about every food group is popular around here. NCians can do some eating .
                          SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

Comment

Originally posted by Salinator View Post
                            Most Taiwanese restaurants are going to look like any other Chinese restaurant to most people. Another problem is that to tap into the mainstream customer base, the menu is nearly always bastardized like virtually all Chinese eateries.

Taiwanese food has very little consumer demand or awareness based on the word "Taiwanese". There are some immensely popular restaurants where the vast majority of people still have no clue they are eating Taiwanese food if they were not told. Think of it this way: most of time when one go for Italian food or Mexican food, there really is no way to know from the name of the establishment or from looking into the window to know exactly the region that is represented.......unless of course you are privy to certain knowledge such as the name is a town in Tuscany.

Taiwanese cuisine is really tricky to understand. It is a fusion food for there was no real Taiwanese identity until maybe the last two or three decades. You may already have eaten in one or more of them and did not know it.

Here is a list of "Taiwanese" restaurants in San Francisco. With only a few exceptions, you will have read the menu and be very familiar with Taiwanese food to realize that it is indeed a Taiwanese restaurant.

1) A Taste of Formosa
                            2) Taiwan
                            3) Five Happiness
                            4) House of Pancakes
                            5) The Chairman
                            6) Tea Papa
                            7) San Tung
                            8) The Flame
                            9) Chef Gao
                            10) Wonderland
                            11) Wild Pepper
                            12) Spices II
                            13) Yamo
                            14) Mission Chinese Food
                            15) Hunan Home (Yes it is Taiwanese)
                            16) Xiao Long Bao
                            17) Aroma Tea Shop
                            18) Kingdom of Dumpling

I'm sure you get the picture, so I will not waste time and space to type out the other 100 or so.
                            Yeah, it can get kinda crazy trying to figure out what's exactly "Chinese"; down here at San Gabriel, there's a huuuge amount of Cantonese or Chiu Chauo style food that's labeled as "Chinese". A lot of it is great but really the places I like tend to stand out as specialty joints. For instance, there's a couple really nice Islamic chinese restaurants, some excellent Szechuan/Chengdu (re : spicy) places, and a few decent Hunan (also, spicy) joints. All depends on the family mood and what the kids are willing to handle with spiciness. Not too many pure Taiwanese places but they are there and definitely serve the Taiwanese vs. the Chinese.

Comment

Missouri: Catfish nuggets and fried okra.
                              Hyperwar: World War II on the World Wide Web
                              Hyperwar, Whats New
                              World War II Resources
                              The best place in the world to "work".

Comment

Our basic selection in the Canon City - Florence region of Colorado:
                                Generic America - i.e., IHOP, Village Inn and the franchise choke-and-pukes.
                                Mexican
                                Chinese
                                Vietnamese
                                Italian
                                French
                                Sushi

Except for sushi, we have to go about 30 miles to Pueblo for good seafood. Can't get any Greek in this area, which is odd given the number of Greek immigrants that used to work the nearby mines, but then we had Russians and Eastern Europeans and we don't have any of their cuisine, either.
                                Colorado Springs has a slightly better choice, but Denver is by far the best - unfortunately, it's a 2 to 2 1/2 hour drive each way.
                                Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X