No announcement yet.

Which Cusine is Popular in Your State ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Cusine is Popular in Your State ?

Map: Which Cuisine Is the Most Disproportionately Popular in Your State?

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015...in-your-state/

I dunno, I would say Texas is a tie between Tex-Mex, BBQ, and Chinese.
    Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

How did gluten free and Hawaiian get in the mid-west?
      SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

Comment

Originally posted by dgfred View Post
        In my street, you can choose from Italian, American, Chinese, Turkish, Indian, Pakistani, Scottish... - and that's one street in a city of 44,000 (we're a city because we have a cathedral, not because it takes 6 months to walk across the centre).

People bring their food and traditions with them.
        Indyref2 - still, "Yes."

Comment

Originally posted by the ace View Post
          In my street, you can choose from Italian, American, Chinese, Turkish, Indian, Pakistani, Scottish... - and that's one street in a city of 44,000 (we're a city because we have a cathedral, not because it takes 6 months to walk across the centre).

People bring their food and traditions with them.
          Don't you start with Haggis...

Banned in the US of A. For a good reason I might add...
          Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
            I dunno, I would say Texas is a tie between Tex-Mex, BBQ, and Chinese.
            I would say Chinese is a distant 3rd in the Lone Star State

Comment

Well the first question would be, how representative of each state's population are Yelp users? Their definition of "disproportionate" is also a bit on the fuzzy side.

Going by the actual number of restaurants around me I'd say BBQ, and Mexican are the one's physically over-represented. Probably because those are easier for a mom & pop operators to set up and run. The rest are either chains or too expensive for my blood.
              Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

Originally posted by GCoyote View Post
                Well the first question would be, how representative of each state's population are Yelp users? Their definition of "disproportionate" is also a bit on the fuzzy side.
                In the TV food shows like Hell's Kitchen, Yelp reviewers are now sometimes sitting alongside with Michelin Start Chefs as judges.

Going by the actual number of restaurants around me I'd say BBQ, and Mexican are the one's physically over-represented. Probably because those are easier for a mom & pop operators to set up and run. The rest are either chains or too expensive for my blood.
                The simplicity and short list of ingredients is why BBQ and Mexican are everywhere. But because BBQ exists is a part of just about any cuisine I think it should not qualify.

And how the hell is 'Southern' cuisine disproportionate in Southern States?

I think Japanese is the disproportionately popular food in America is Japanese.
                Last edited by Salinator; 16 Jan 15, 22:47.
                Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Living in the I-95 corridor between Baltimore and DC you can find damn near anything you have the stomach for. I'm going to miss this when we retire.
                  Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
                    Don't you start with Haggis...

Banned in the US of A. For a good reason I might add...
                    Oh you mean the oatmeal and offal pudding we flog to foreigners ?

Real haggis is banned for export as the populations still haven't fully recovered from the '47 and '49 seasons when the hunt (haggis' 2-year breeding cycle means that the animals are only hunted in odd years between mid August and late September) was conducted using war surplus Jeeps and PIATs.

These days, the return to steam-powered carts and the 2-inch haggis gun (which has a 9ft barrel and - even with the cart to absorb the recoil - a kick like a mule (after spending the 91 season as a gunner, I was convinced I'd never use my right arm again, but was fine once the bruising healed) and strict quotas are allowing the population to recover.

We'll never return to the plague proportions of WW2, (the '41, '43 and '45 seasons didn't happen, and the White heather on which the animals fed was virtually wiped out), but we hope that there will be a viable level in the next 10 years.
                    Indyref2 - still, "Yes."

Comment

Originally posted by dgfred View Post
                      Given the number of Chinese eateries and their endurance, I disagree.
                      Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

PAKISTANI? In Illinois? I can damn sure tell you the far southern end is more of a Southern flavor. Especially when there's like 3-4 catfish places in one county?
                        This bass guitar kills TERRORISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

North of Houston along I-45 you can get just about anything. Along I-59 there is a place before Livingston called the Texas Grill that I really like. You can get Chicken Fried Steak, Steaks and Buffalo meat half pound Hamburgers, but I go to get a salad and a Baked Potato. I love huge Baked Potatoes!

In Louisiana you see more Seafood places that also serve steaks. Cajun means more than burning the meat Black.

Pruitt
                          Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Well, we have had maps and we have had maps but this one seems totally disconcerted with reality.
                            "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Salinator View Post
                              In the TV food shows like Hell's Kitchen, Yelp reviewers are now sometimes sitting alongside with Michelin Start Chefs as judges.

The simplicity and short list of ingredients is why BBQ and Mexican are everywhere. But because BBQ exists is a part of just about any cuisine I think it should not qualify.

And how the hell is 'Southern' cuisine disproportionate in Southern States?

I think Japanese is the disproportionately popular food in America is Japanese.
                              Just that most BBQ is most likely grilled meat and not BBQ meat. Night and day difference.
                              "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X