How to Drink Gin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Drink Gin?

I'm a central European so I've always seen gin as a British, rather than continental, drink. It wasn't popular where I grew up.

How do I drink gin?

What are some good gin brans?

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
    --Frederick II, King of Prussia

Wrong guy to ask, I've got a story.
    18 years old and a Senior in HS (1968). My Buddy got me a date for Homecoming at U of Washington. I'm supposed to be a College Guy. The concert was Simon and Garfunkel. During the after party, I impressed the girls by drinking a mix of gin and beer. Puked it out of a 1958 Nomad on the 99. I know you don't understand some of this but trust me. When it comes to mix, forget beer.
    My Avatar: Ivan W. Henderson Gunner/navigator B-25-26. 117 combat missions. Both Theaters. 11 confirmed kills. DSC.

Comment

Gin goes with tonic. Is a pre dinner drink.
      "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

Originally posted by MonsterZero View Post
        I'm a central European so I've always seen gin as a British, rather than continental, drink. It wasn't popular where I grew up.

How do I drink gin?

What are some good gin brans?

With the tinest splash of angosturas bitters in the glass first swirl the glass pour out the excess add ice add gin.

In a tall glass with bitter lemon and a splash of lemonade.

With tonic.

and thats about it. anything else gets pretty vile quite quickly.
        "Sometimes its better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness" T Pratchett

Comment

Only tarts and sailors drink gin.
          Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

Originally posted by Rojik View Post
            Only tarts and sailors drink gin.
            "Mother's Ruin".
            "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
            Samuel Johnson.

Comment

Originally posted by BELGRAVE View Post
              "Mother's Ruin".
              Aye, but she was a bloody good bosun.
              Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

Gin with elderflower extract is very nice when poured over crushed ice and mixed with Indian tonic water.
                Add a slice of lime or lemon or buy some tonic water with a hint of lime or lemon, and you can get a perfect gin and tonic.
                Don't be fooled by people saying gin is a drink for ladies or so called men, 9 times out of 10 it has the same alcohol content as the best whiskeys or rum.
                Drunk neat it is the pits though and makes me gag

Comment

Use good gin like Bombay Sapphire. Make a martini. A REAL martini, with dry vermouth. 'Nuff said.

Except in summer you can drink gin 'n tonics outside. You want to flavor that with a Rangpur lime. A small orange Indian citrus which is not a lime but is very sour and fragrant and is called a lime because that's what it is functionally: in gin and tonic in the Imperial clubs of the Empire.

Then there is pink gin: martini glass, ice in a shaker, gin, pink it up with Angostura bitters either by shaking with the gin and ice or coat the glass and pour out the extra. Now you have a favorite Agatha Christie novel drink of the 1930s ------- we learned to drink it from the Poirot video series.

Comment

Just buy the gin labeled "scotch". You'll be happier.
                    Hyperwar: World War II on the World Wide Web
                    Hyperwar, Whats New
                    World War II Resources
                    The best place in the world to "work".

Comment

Originally posted by Phebe View Post
                      Use good gin like Bombay Sapphire. Make a martini. A REAL martini, with dry vermouth. 'Nuff said.

Except in summer you can drink gin 'n tonics outside. You want to flavor that with a Rangpur lime. A small orange Indian citrus which is not a lime but is very sour and fragrant and is called a lime because that's what it is functionally: in gin and tonic in the Imperial clubs of the Empire.

Then there is pink gin: martini glass, ice in a shaker, gin, pink it up with Angostura bitters either by shaking with the gin and ice or coat the glass and pour out the extra. Now you have a favorite Agatha Christie novel drink of the 1930s ------- we learned to drink it from the Poirot video series.

Bombay sapphire😋 you obviously have good taste there, my wife loves a decent G&T. When and if we go out it's usually a Gordon's and tonic, but on the rare occasions she drinks at home it will either be Bombay sapphire gin or Plymouth gin, which is equally nice with a slightly higher alcohol content.
                      The mixing with rangpur lime is a good mention for people not too familiar with the ideal citrus fruit to add to gin.
                      Convenient to where we live, appx 8 miles, is a very large Indian, Pakistani community and getting exotic limes for our gin is no problem. We also have a large West Indian community for Rum supplies, a large polish community for vodka and plenty of other communities from Europe to supply slivovitz and beer.

In fact it's a pity I hardly drink anymore😆.

This thread has inspired me and when I get home I'm going to cook dinner for the family and pour my wife the perfect G&T after stopping off for some fresh limes and lemon on the way home

Comment

a perfect martini you say?

After a horrible high school experience with a bottle of gin I swore off the stuff until I discovered the classic martini. Now, with the help of my favorite bartender, I am able to enjoy that potent imbibable to the utmost.
                        ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
                        IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Originally posted by MonsterZero View Post
                          It's Dutch in origin, iirc,

at one point it was referred to as "Dutch courage" on account of it being distributed among the troops in the Thirty Year War.

It became popular in Britain under William of Orange, who was of course Dutch himself.
                          High Admiral Snowy, Commander In Chief of the Naval Forces of The Phoenix Confederation.

Comment

Only one way.

My worst jump story:
                            My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
                            As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
                            No lie.

~
                            "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
                            -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

As DP said; Angostura Bitters in the glass beforehand, then emptied. Then gin and then tonic. Cool. You will enjoy Gin even more if you're one of the following:

A Naval Officer
                              A Lady of Ill Repute
                              An 18th Century lout
                              A 1920/30s playboy.
                              A Flapper
                              A depressed 40s Housewife

- http://www.historic-uk.com/CultureUK/Mothers-Ruin/
                              ------
                              'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

If you have questions about the forum please check the FAQ/Rules

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X