Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are you cooking for your first meal of the year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jose50
    replied
    Bangers & mash...

Leave a comment:

• Nick the Noodle
    replied
    Originally posted by queensman View Post
    Obviously being a new year I think that the first meal, after breakfast, that you cook is usually something special.
    Today I'm roasting a duck with pork, apricot and orange stuffing with a roast chicken and sage and onion stuffing accompanied by king Edward roast potatoes ( the best for roasting ), Savoy cabbage, cauliflower cheese, carrots and roasted parsnips with a honey glaze.
    What are you cooking or having today?

Happy new year to you all too😀

My eldest sons half Italian godmother was over here from Belgium, so the wife took her and the boys over to see The Lion King theatre production in Cardiff.

I made myself a Thai stir fry. However, I made a school boy error in not frying the ginger, chili and garlic first, but simply added them at the same time as the rest of the veg. In a dish that requires time, it is better to add these particular later. Stir fry's are not one of those times.

By adding these three items at the same moment as the rest of the veg, the dish had a harsh taste. By the time they had mellow'd in the coconut milk, my vegetable stir fry was a disaster, as the veg was totally overcooked. Fortunately I had the good sense not to chuck it away, and blitzed it into a soup.

It was accidentally delicious.

Leave a comment:

• DARKPLACE
    replied
    Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
    do the two of you live far from each other?
    Don't think so. I forgot to say I reduce the cider to make a gravy and depending on the sweetness of the available cider sometimes i add a spoonfull of honey to the mix .Then do quick and dirty roast spuds and parsnips. Quick and dirty means pour about a half inch of oil into a big baking tray. Heat the oil in the oven to the point of stupidity. While its heating take your pre chopped spuds and parsnips blast em for five mins in the microwave. Once they are done carefully add to the oil and bang back in the oven for five to ten, then turn em in the oil.

To accompany, a nice light bitter Theakstons OP or Spitfire. Or you can just do what I did and drink the rest of the cider and rum and argue with the wife.

You

Leave a comment:

• Half Pint John
    replied
    do the two of you live far from each other?

Leave a comment:

• DARKPLACE
    replied
    Gammon, soaked for twelve hours in cider and fresh apricots.

Then simmer in the cider for two hours. Then take it out place it in a roasting tray add a clove of garlic a pinch of salt a handful of mixed herbs and a generous gulpers of rum. Roast in a medium heat for the appropriate time for the weight of the joint uncover for the last third of cooking.

Leave a comment:

• queensman
    replied
    Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
    I booked a flight for England. If the cabbies does it right I should be knocking on your door at about 5pm.

You would be more than welcome mate☺️

Leave a comment:

• Half Pint John
    replied
    I booked a flight for England. If the cabbies does it right I should be knocking on your door at about 5pm.

Leave a comment:

• What are you cooking for your first meal of the year?

Obviously being a new year I think that the first meal, after breakfast, that you cook is usually something special.
    Today I'm roasting a duck with pork, apricot and orange stuffing with a roast chicken and sage and onion stuffing accompanied by king Edward roast potatoes ( the best for roasting ), Savoy cabbage, cauliflower cheese, carrots and roasted parsnips with a honey glaze.
    What are you cooking or having today?

Happy new year to you all too😀

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X