Appetizers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Appetizers

Each year I go to a New Years Eve party at our close friend's house and many people bring food. I would like to bring an apppetizer this year so I am asking for suggestions. Something cold and exciting but easy to make as my schedule is tight and I won't have much prep time.
    Suggestions?
    Thanks.
    John

Play La Marseillaise. Play it!

Would reply to you once at work...
    That rug really tied the room together

Comment

Ok.
      Simple but efficient.
      You need Foie gras if possible(a can of 4 onces is enough).Duck liver paté works well too.
      Bread for toasts
      Black cherry marmelade(or basic cherry)

You use a glass,diameter 2 inches,to make round canapés in the slices of bread ( or use canapés bread),so the tallest slices you get,the more rounds you get..
      You work with a foie gras,at room temperature.You have to gently spread the foie gras on the bread,not like butter,but rather like a slice put on the bread.You have to get some nice looking thickness.
      With a tea spoon,put some marmelade on the half of the foie gras portion,in order to keep the other half for some crushed pepper mill,and a pinch of sea salt.

If you have 10 minutes free,you can cooked chopped onion in sugar and vinegar,in order to confite it a bit.Then you can add some onion on the foie gras.

The idea is to create a salty/sweety taste .
      This is a canapé i use on special occasion.
      Californian white wine taste good with this.

I also prepare "easy to make" smoked salmon rolls.
      Take 2.5 onces of thick sour cream.Add some dill,pepper,a very small pinch of salt,lemon juice,finly chopped shallot,and a extremely light pinch of curry powder(or paste)
      Mix gently with a spoon (no blender).
      Use nice and big smoked salmon slices.The idea is to spread the cream on the slice,then to roll it delicately and to chill the slices 10 minutes in the freezer .
      You take your sharpest knife (or a kind of razor blade,better),and you slice the roll in portions of 1.5 centimeter (thinner is a bit hard)
      Pick a tooth pick in each .You can also pick before a caper then pick it in the roll.
      Last edited by sebfrench76; 17 Dec 14, 04:16.

Comment

Pictures only but it's a very easy idea.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. Thomas Jefferson.

Comment

french onion dip?????

Here,in french slang,onion means anus...

So dipping someting in it is a bit weird,dontya think?

Comment

Originally posted by sebfrench76 View Post
            french onion dip?????

Here,in french slang,onion means anus...

So dipping someting in it is a bit weird,dontya think?
            Sounds disgusting to me.
            (?? il me semble dégoutant! ??)
            The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. Thomas Jefferson.

Comment

"Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

"A white sport coat...and a pink..crustacean.."

Yeah, if you want to make an impression go with what Half Pint suggests. Nothing says holiday cheer like a huge plate of chilled, dead crustaceans complimented with a horseradish/tabasco sauce. Be sure to get the large size though. Something on the order of 16-20 to the pound. That will ensure that each shrimp will require more than one bite. Do discourage double dipping whenever possible...
                Here in the states you can buy a shrimp ring, already arranged with sauce in the center, for about $10-15. Merry Holidays!
                ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
                IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

This is your idea of a New Year 's apetizers suggestion?
                  A meal worthy of a summer bbq in Louisiana
                  (seriously,makes me feel hungry,the shrimps are so gorgeous!)

Comment

Bacon wrapped dates. Easy to make and oh so tasty. If you stuff them with blue cheese expect a stampede...

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/b...ped-dates.html
                    Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                      Yum

Can't beat that with a big, long stick .

@ Seb... don't give me no anus dip .

SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

Comment

I should have mentioned that I make what I bring to parties. Thanks for the replies.

Sebfrench-Next time I'm in France I'm staying with you so you can feed me for two weeks.
                        John

Play La Marseillaise. Play it!

Comment

I really like stuffed mushrooms (with crabmeat) for an appetizer.
                          SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

Comment

Really, why would you go for anything complicated when you can probably impress people just as well with something cheap but tasty?

I believe in the US you have appetizers known as pigs in a blanket. Make them tastier by the addition of onion salt. Make a batch with powdered ginger (instead of the onion powder) added for the people who are a fussy eaters.

A few variations.

In Australia we have something similar called a sausage roll. Here's a good example.

Comment

Originally posted by JBark View Post
                              I should have mentioned that I make what I bring to parties. Thanks for the replies.

Sebfrench-Next time I'm in France I'm staying with you so you can feed me for two weeks.
                              Nothing mentioned youn have to make or can make youself. It's not a main course, just things to get the taste buds active. That is a thing I like about the shrimp, they taste great but not filling.
                              "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X