Top Kitchen Tips? What are Yours.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
    In Chinese cooking, chilies, ginger and garlic are added first to flavour the oil. This adds to the flavour of a stir fried meal. A proper stir fried meal is cooked in seconds.

Western cooking often takes much longer. In fact many dishes take hours, sometimes more than a day. The best meal I've had in France was at a family of a friend of my wife, who had cooked ox-tail for 36 hours in red wine. Usually I prefer shin, another tough cut, but marinades and long slow cooking can pay dividends.
    Not too hard for you to write such thing when you're at the diet...??
    That rug really tied the room together

Comment

Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
      1. Always cook with wine... And occasionally put some in the food.
      2. Cook everything on a stick...

Do you have a radio talk show on the EIB network?
      "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

No need to waste if you get a blender. Just turn leftovers into smoothies. They don't all work , but these do imo .

Tomato, green bell pepper, chili pepper, celery, Worcester sauce, tomato puree or ketchup. Basically a Bloody Mary without the kick, but plenty of vitamin C.

Banana, orange and pineapple. These three items are the best three sources from which the body can make melatonin, which helps you sleep. This is also a massive boost of vitamin C.

Greens (eg kale), avocado and pineapple. A good all rounder, healthwise.

I often use fresh juices instead of water to max flavour. These are not from concentrate, thus keeping any fibre.

Please note that I like the taste of these. You might not.
        Sounds pretty damn good and a great way to save time, money and excess calories from eating out.

Comment

Keep a store cupboard full of the basics. This should include rice and pasta, passata or tinned tomatoes, baked beans or other legumes of choice, tinned fish and various sauces. A variety of soups is also a good idea, as is a carton of UHT milk. This way you will never be caught without a meal in the house.
          I don't really agree with keeping rice because it's a big water user - you have to wash rice before you can cook it in different water. If you're short of water rice can be a big mistake. I'm thinking that the cupboard of basics might be for emergency use.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

My own tip (which I've given before) is about cooking potatoes in the microwave. Cook them on their own as other foods that you put in with them will not cook fully. This is especially true of frozen potatoes like chips / french fries but applies equally well to jacket potatoes etc.
          The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. Thomas Jefferson.

Comment

Two Iberian beverages are really useful in the kitchen since both keep for months, unlike wine.

The first is ruby port, which I use instead of red wine, but only need half as much per recipe.

The second is a dry sherry, which I use instead of rice wine in Asian cooking.
            How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
            Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

Best tip, stay out of it or get your head taken off by my wife.

Nick, try some Madeira instead of the port for a little change.
              s
              "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                Best tip, stay out of it or get your head taken off by my wife.

Nick, try some Madeira instead of the port for a little change.
                s
                Personally, i find Madeira a bit sweet for most dishes.

Given I don't have a Michelin star, I go with what my family likes. They love my 'Chinese'. The fact my recipe has not been further than 2 blocks down the road, except at Xmas, is no surprise.
                How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
                Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X