Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super Six 4
    replied
    I agree about the Kale - my bro puts in some kale--maybe not a lot, but also tons of other stuff and he says it doesn't seem to taste like Kale. Personally I think Kale tastes just weird--or even if not, the texture of it is WEIRD. Lol. I get more adventurous with food all the time but kale, just straight/straight-ish kale doesn't appeal one bit, and I've tried it!

Leave a comment:

• JBark
    replied
    Nick, I always get a kick out of seeing smoothies made with kale. It's a damn healthy green but it turns the smoothie an ugly green. It doesn't taste great so use it with the fruits and honey. Much honey.

Leave a comment:

• Nick the Noodle
    replied
    Originally posted by Super Six 4 View Post
    Whey protein might be good; we have a tub of vanilla flavored whey protein and it's good.

I rarely have them but I made a vanilla whey, banana, and berry shake--quite yummy!

My brother puts stuff like Kale in his too.
    Leaves and root veg seems to be the key to a veggie smoothie, perhaps with some nuts, but I suspect that if I just blitz and see, then some will be .

Made one consisting of a banana, an orange and some pineapple pieces. I have a problem with sleep, and Melatonin seems to be the key. The three fruits listed are the best 3 to help the body boosts its ability to create the stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melatonin

Leave a comment:

• Super Six 4
    replied
    Whey protein might be good; we have a tub of vanilla flavored whey protein and it's good.

I rarely have them but I made a vanilla whey, banana, and berry shake--quite yummy!

My brother puts stuff like Kale in his too.

Leave a comment:

• Nick the Noodle
    replied
    Originally posted by slick24 View Post
    I can't help with the smoothies. I am sorry to hear you had to have surgery, wish you a speedy recovery
    Originally posted by Phebe View Post
    I am sorry to hear you had to have a stomach operation! Are you getting better? If you are hoping to give the stomach a break for a few months with pureed foods, perhaps it's not too bad and will recover?
    Thank you both. I'm expected to make a full recovery, but it'd probably take a year or so.

Leave a comment:

• slick24
    replied
    Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
    Since my stomach op, I've bought a smoothie maker, which keeps all of the fruit and veg as part of the drink.
    Mainly looking for savoury recipes.

Any favourites out there?
    I can't help with the smoothies. I am sorry to hear you had to have surgery, wish you a speedy recovery

Leave a comment:

• Phebe
    replied
    Solids basically

I cannot have anything with gas, so the cider is out. I've been drinking red wine instead, because apparently its good for you.
    One glass is good, so a bottle must be even better .

However, creating a pitcher of a Bloody Mary variant could be interesting for a weekend tipple. The recipe I posted above was a tad too chili hot, but the basic recipe was fine. Maybe some celery would be in order, and Vodka instead of water .

The whole idea of 5 a day plus booze does have a certain charm. A weekend vitamin boosting Pimm's or Sangria anyone .
    Wait a minute, I am not sure we are suggesting what your doctor would approve of........[:-) Although a little red wine IS "good for the blood," as docs used to prescribe in dry West Tennessee, as I remember well. When Daddy Dee was prescribed that (and he needed something for his blood: low blood pressure to the point of fainting) Mother Goldie use to tell everyone that walked into that house that the doctor had prescribed it, she was so embarrassed.

I am sorry to hear you had to have a stomach operation! Are you getting better? If you are hoping to give the stomach a break for a few months with pureed foods, perhaps it's not too bad and will recover?

Leave a comment:

• Nick the Noodle
    replied
    Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
    Not my thiing but I would guess something as a base that gives the most flavor. Kiwi, watermelon, peas with corn and a dot of chilli. Try what you may and like. Olives, creams and yogurts. It almost sounds like fun, almost. Don't forget the bottled concentrate such as vanilla, and evev some nuts, coconut milk and chocolates. How about garlic?

Just what do you have to avoid?
    Solids basically

Huh, that does sound good: calling it a Bloody Mary ups the appeal. I may have to "branch out," so to speak. [:-)
    I cannot have anything with gas, so the cider is out. I've been drinking red wine instead, because apparently its good for you.
    One glass is good, so a bottle must be even better .

However, creating a pitcher of a Bloody Mary variant could be interesting for a weekend tipple. The recipe I posted above was a tad too chili hot, but the basic recipe was fine. Maybe some celery would be in order, and Vodka instead of water .

The whole idea of 5 a day plus booze does have a certain charm. A weekend vitamin boosting Pimm's or Sangria anyone .

Leave a comment:

• Half Pint John
    replied
    Not my thiing but I would guess something as a base that gives the most flavor. Kiwi, watermelon, peas with corn and a dot of chilli. Try what you may and like. Olives, creams and yogurts. It almost sounds like fun, almost. Don't forget the bottled concentrate such as vanilla, and evev some nuts, coconut milk and chocolates. How about garlic?

Just what do you have to avoid?
    Last edited by Half Pint John; 12 Oct 14, 13:36.

Leave a comment:

• Phebe
    replied
    The third was green bell pepper, a tomato, lettuce, 2 carrots and a red chili. Tasted not too different from a Bloody Mary Cocktail .

The third one is more the direction I want to go in.
    Huh, that does sound good: calling it a Bloody Mary ups the appeal. I may have to "branch out," so to speak. [:-)

Leave a comment:

• Nick the Noodle
    replied
    Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
    The only thing I can say is balanced diet. Grind those veggies with some steak.

Other than that you might try epicurean.com.

http://www.epicurean.com/

You should talk to your doc about things to avoid, but seek flavor so you can eat.
    Thanks for the reply.

I have spoken to my doctor about my stomach operation, and for the next three months at least, basically I'm on a puree diet. No Xmas dinner this year, unless I mush it. Protein I get from scrambled eggs and mushed lentils.

Made three smoothies so far.

The first one was an apple, orange and grapes.
    The second was a banana, apple, lettuce and grapes.
    The third was green bell pepper, a tomato, lettuce, 2 carrots and a red chili. Tasted not too different from a Bloody Mary Cocktail .

The third one is more the direction I want to go in.

Any further suggestions anyone, that you personally approve off?

Nick, I got one of those Magic Bullets (love it) and make a smoothie daily with six ice cubes, a big spoon of vanilla ice cream, a fair bit of sugar but you can use Equal, half a banana, a few pieces of some other fruit, like blueberries or whatever you have, a little fruit juice of some kind for the tang, a couple drops of vanilla, and fill it nearly to the top with milk. Grind smooth.

This is not only nourishing and filling and delicious, but I find it's strangely rehydrating in the summer; I think it's the ice.

Amazon has Smoothie "cookbooks" that are inexpensive on Kindle; I bought a couple but haven't used them as I concocted the above and don't really want to get involved with vegetables, as many do.
    Thanks

Leave a comment:

• Phebe
    replied
    Nick, I got one of those Magic Bullets (love it) and make a smoothie daily with six ice cubes, a big spoon of vanilla ice cream, a fair bit of sugar but you can use Equal, half a banana, a few pieces of some other fruit, like blueberries or whatever you have, a little fruit juice of some kind for the tang, a couple drops of vanilla, and fill it nearly to the top with milk. Grind smooth.

This is not only nourishing and filling and delicious, but I find it's strangely rehydrating in the summer; I think it's the ice.

Amazon has Smoothie "cookbooks" that are inexpensive on Kindle; I bought a couple but haven't used them as I concocted the above and don't really want to get involved with vegetables, as many do.

Leave a comment:

• Bwaha
    replied
    The only thing I can say is balanced diet. Grind those veggies with some steak.

Other than that you might try epicurean.com.

http://www.epicurean.com/

You should talk to your doc about things to avoid, but seek flavor so you can eat.

Leave a comment:

• Nick the Noodle
    started a topic Smoothie recommendations please.

Smoothie recommendations please.

Since my stomach op, I've bought a smoothie maker, which keeps all of the fruit and veg as part of the drink.
    Mainly looking for savoury recipes.

Any favourites out there?

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X