X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lamb is 1 meat I have never tried

Comment

Originally posted by HMS Jr. View Post
      Dead helps, but if not, sufficiently pummeled into unquestioned submission.
      Bush style....
      Attached Files
      The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

Comment

Originally posted by ole timer View Post
        lamb is 1 meat I have never tried
        Try it you will like it,

Comment

It's a little fattier than beef, on the order of a well marbled ribeye so plan your cooking accordingly. I usually just use garlic and pepper and toss it on the grill.

I'm Armenian on my mother's side and one of my childhood memories is being the one-kid-power motor on our old fashioned meat grinder as my grandmother prepared to make kufta.

Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

Originally posted by GCoyote View Post
            It's a little fattier than beef, on the order of a well marbled ribeye so plan your cooking accordingly. I usually just use garlic and pepper and toss it on the grill.

I'm Armenian on my mother's side and one of my childhood memories is being the one-kid-power motor on our old fashioned meat grinder as my grandmother prepared to make kufta.

Ah we called it kofta, wonderful dish, we have many vegetarian varieties.

Comment

Originally posted by sebfrench76 View Post
              Put your lamb steacks in the oven,130 celcius,in a pan,with 10 garlic gloves,pepper,salt.No fat,a cup of water,a tomato cut in 4
              Cook for 2.5 hours.Adjust water
              The lamb will be overcook and melt in the mouth.
              Seb, I happen to have something very similar :
              4-5 lamb steaks, trimmed so very little fat, lemon pepper and salt both sides
              1.5-2 cups of chicken or vegetable broth (properly flavored fresh chicken broth is the best), vegetable is ok as long as it has a good flavoring as well but not salty at all.
              1 large onion, sliced into thin rounds
              2 full garlic bulbs, sliced thinly or just the cloves crushed
              a trace of cumin, coriander, thyme
              just enough oil to brown everything, but use as little as possible.
              some water

brown the onion, then add the garlic and lamb, brown them quickly, don't let the garlic burn. Pour in the broth and then let simmer low-medium (depends on your stove, mine can burn stuff on the smallest burner even on low-low) for 1.5-2.5 hours (depends on the size of lamb, of course, I usually just check for meltiness) . Half-hourly, at least, check the heat/fluid level, don't let anything burn or get dry. Flipping the lamb sometimes is necessary if there's bones or if it starts to curl up. Adding water will probably be necessary but just a little bit at a time to keep the sauce from getting thick.
              When it's nice and ultra-soft, you're done. Usually at this point, I decide whether or not there's enough sauce for everyone because they all want a nice thick roux to go with rice. Then I have to make sure there's enough base to add some flour and water, etc. if necessary.
              I've also done this with potatoes in the mix. Seems a nice tough Yukon sliced up in medium dices works well. Sear the potatoes with the onions and then do everything else....
              Last edited by boomer400; 29 Jul 14, 00:49.

Comment

Boomer,that's what I call a detailed recipe!!!��
                I have to try it,for sure.When I read "2 full garlic bulbs",my French heart goes boom,boom��
                When I have time enough,I fire my Weber,and smoke +grill a little the lamb to add this extra "old style" flavour.
                Your idea of a roux to combine with rice is excellent.
                That rug really tied the room together

Comment

I must caution on the garlic bulbs; the bulbs can often be of varying quality. Sometimes, they can be small but of excellent pungency or large but rather sweet. Depends on the grocer or local farm. So you have to kind of consider how garlicky you want the whole thing to be.
                  Secondly, when doing the garlic, crushed cloves for me tend to retain more garlickyness so what I tend to do is to brown them a little more and then put in the meat. With slices or fine diced garlic, it's usually the other way around. My wife wants me to try it with elephant garlic since the entire thing cooks for so long. Haven't gotten around to it yet. Also, some green herbs work well with this one (cilantro, oregano, rosemary, sage, tarragon etc.) My wife likes it with just a touch of lemon zest....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X