Honey BeeKeeping

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bees face yet another lethal threat in dicamba, a drift-prone pesticide
    Dicamba was a hot topic at the annual American Honey Producers Association meeting earlier this month, said Darren Cox, a Utah beekeeper who stepped down as head of the association last year.

“We’re very concerned about dicamba and the impacts it’s having on the honey industry and the health of bees,” Cox said.

https://www.revealnews.org/article/b...one-pesticide/

"Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

Originally posted by Persephone View Post

Yeah, always a new challenge, though this may be more localized to areas of monoculture of GMOs.
      EXCERPTS:
      When Coy spotted the withering weeds, he realized why hives that produced 100 pounds of honey three summers ago now were managing barely half that: Dicamba probably had destroyed his bees’ food.

In October, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency extended its approval of the weed killer for use on genetically modified soybeans and cotton, mostly in the South and Midwest, for two more years. At the time, the EPA said: “We expect there will be no adverse impacts to bees or other pollinators.”

But scientists warned the EPA years ago that dicamba would drift off fields and kill weeds that are vital to honeybees. The consequences of the EPA’s decisions now are rippling through the food system.
      Dicamba already has destroyed millions of dollars’ worth of non-genetically modified soybeans and specialty crops, such as tomatoes and wine grapes. And now it appears to be a major factor in large financial losses for beekeepers. Hive losses don’t affect just the nation’s honey supply: Honeybees pollinate more than $15 billion worth of fruits, nuts and vegetables a year, largely in California, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

“It seems like everybody’s been affected,” said Bret Adee, whose family runs the nation’s largest beekeeping outfit, in South Dakota. He thinks 2018 might be “the smallest crop in the history of the United States for honey production.”

From 2016 to 2017, U.S. honey production dropped 9 percent. Official statistics for 2018 have not been released.

Beekeepers long have struggled to protect their hives from parasites, viruses, insecticides and other colony-destroying threats. All these factors, as well as climate change, have been linked to colony collapse disorder, which emerged more than a decade ago and destroyed 30 to 90 percent of some beekeepers’ hives. Now with dicamba, beekeepers must contend with a scourge that can wipe out the food and habitat bees need to thrive.
      https://www.revealnews.org/article/b...one-pesticide/

With weather here currently in high 60s to low 70s I will inspect my hives either today or tomorrow. Two of the three are showing outside activity and may be ready for the Winter insulation wraps tobe removed. The third is looking dormant, but twice this past Winter our very high winds blew the top off of that one and I suspect that overnight chill and dampness may have done them in.

My major distraction of the moment is increasing height of fence with my neighbors to East side in attempt to keep their chickens(hens and roosters) from flying over and digging up my yard and garden areas, where we hope to start planting in the next week or so,since it looks to be an earlier Spring. If that doesn't work I'll have to resort to the .22LR solution, making coyote feed.
      TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch

Comment

Loyalty Nearly Killed My Beehive

My queen was a dud, and her replacement had been murdered.

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/l...=pocket-newtab

Comment

Discovery of RNA transfer through royal jelly could aid development of honey bee vaccines
          https://phys.org/news/2019-05-discov...jelly-aid.html

Mathematician's breakthrough on non-toxic pest control that doesn't harm bees
          https://phys.org/news/2019-05-mathem...st-doesnt.html

Comment

Simple Things You Can Do at Home to Help Save the Bees

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/...z&ocid=msnbcrd

Comment

BBC Radio 4 just broadcast a programme called Build a Better Bee about efforts to save bees which included selective breeding to produce more pest and disease resistant bees, genetic engineering to achieve the same result and even R&D programmes to produce robot pollinators (gives drones a whole new meaning). A bank of frozen bee sperm is being built up in the US to preserve the genetic diversity of bees. Populations of different breeds of honey bee are being looked at to see if some ancient varieties could prove useful to be reintroduced in other parts of the world. The beebot development work is revealing how much we do not know about bees. For example naturalists thought that they had worked out how bees with so small a brain managed the task of landing and thought they had found an elegant solution only to find that when replicated in artificial insects it didn't work.
              Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
              Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X