Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Receiving uncooked food.... expect a refund or get another meal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Receiving uncooked food.... expect a refund or get another meal?

Had a rather awkward experience at a restaurant last night, I'm not a regular but my parents are, and they eat there almost every thursday night. Anyway, I ordered chicken and much to my surprise I found it uncooked in various parts once I started cutting it up. So I took it back and told them what I found, their policy is that once you eat something the choice of a monetary refund no longer stands. It was either another chicken that I ordered or desert of my choice.

I just couldn't even contemplate trying to eat another chicken, exasperated I just settled with a big desert, and left soon afterwards. It bugs me because I usually eat everything else first before eating the piece of meat or chicken... so I was up **** creek in ever getting a refund before the discovery of the uncooked meat.

Why should I be expected to receive another chicken if they couldn't cook the first one properly!

Would you settle for a refund or another meal?
    "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
    Ernest Hemingway.

In english "silence" means yelling louder than everyone else.

I've run into similar problems here. I took to many bites for a full refund but didn't go back for a couple years. Now one of the first things I do is cut into the meat dish to see if it is done to my liking. You can always send it back, but that takes away a lot of the pleasure of dinning out waiting for your meal when all the others at the table are enjoying theirs.

Oh, I got a Schnaups on the house.
    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Looks like a lose/lose situation to me. Whether you receive another meal or a refund, you still have given up your time, and you remain hungry. Of the options, the properly cooked meal appeals to me the most.

John's advice of checking everything before digging in is 100% correct. You are still inconvenienced, but at least you can fully exercise your options.

Regards,
      Dennis
      If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

You might also consider reporting this to the local Health Dept. Especially if it was undercooked to point of being a health hazard.

Comment

Originally posted by Achtung Baby View Post
          Had a rather awkward experience at a restaurant last night, I'm not a regular but my parents are, and they eat there almost every thursday night. Anyway, I ordered chicken and much to my surprise I found it uncooked in various parts once I started cutting it up. So I took it back and told them what I found, their policy is that once you eat something the choice of a monetary refund no longer stands. It was either another chicken that I ordered or desert of my choice.

I just couldn't even contemplate trying to eat another chicken, exasperated I just settled with a big desert, and left soon afterwards. It bugs me because I usually eat everything else first before eating the piece of meat or chicken... so I was up **** creek in ever getting a refund before the discovery of the uncooked meat.

Why should I be expected to receive another chicken if they couldn't cook the first one properly!

At our restaurant, if that issue ever arose, we would offer a refund, and then it's the patron's option whether they want to purchase another meal. However if most of the meal has been consumed then I could understand the dessert offer rather than a refund.
          Meats, especially chicken, are required to be cooked to a certain temperature to kill the bacteria they carry. If this business is failing to do this you should feel free to contact the local health department and report your problem. Having a health inspector show up on their doorstep should get their attention.
          And if it was me, I would encourage my folks the next time I had dinner with them to maybe go to another restaurant and remind them of the problem I had the last time.
          If there are no dogs in Heaven, then I want to go where they went when they died-Will Rogers

Comment

Originally posted by Achtung Baby View Post

Most restaurants try to avoid the refund IF they feel that you ste too much of the meal and there just are too many people who always try to complain about something in order in an attempt to get a free meal. OTOH, the actual cost of all the ingredients is just a small fraction of the cost of goods sold, the cook, waiter, busboy etc is still getting paid the same amount, the oven is already hot and the water is already boiling etc, the rent stays the same...........a piece of chicken and some random veggies cost almost nothing in their eyes so another meal is usually the offer. However, they should have offered you another meal of YOUR CHOICE, PLUS dessert and maybe drinks(drinks and desserts have a super profit margin) for the whole table......it is stuff like that turns a bad experience into a good one.

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
            I've run into similar problems here. I took to many bites for a full refund but didn't go back for a couple years. Now one of the first things I do is cut into the meat dish to see if it is done to my liking. You can always send it back, but that takes away a lot of the pleasure of dinning out waiting for your meal when all the others at the table are enjoying theirs.

Oh, I got a Schnaups on the house.
            Good advice. Check the meat first!

It does matter how much pride a particular restaurant has in their kitchen and service, plus what class of etiquette they subscribe to.

In a classy restaurant, everyone's food at the same table should arrive at the same time. The moment one meal is rejected, that meal is refired on the fly by the kitchen. An offer is made to keep the other meals warm, OR a complete refire on the fly for the entire table. Complimentary appetizers are sent out on the fly to keep the entire table occupied. Drinks on the house are offered or in my case, we just tell the sommelier to send appropriate wine. And oh yeah, we also send dessert afterwards. This tactic usually resulted in huge tips and a group of happy customers who would return plus their word of mouth is great for business.

A great restaurant relies on great timing by the entire staff down to seconds between undercooked and overcooked food and/or someone still waiting for their meal while the rest of table is unsure whether to wait or dig in.
            Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

I have sent meat back a number of times over the years for it to get cooked. No ones offered me free food, but what I ate was cooked! I avoid eating Chicken, though. My dear departed Mother would buy Chicken on sale and freeze it for later. A time or two when I tried to eat a drum leg and it was bloody inside. I quit eating most of the chicken after that. The biggest problem I have is getting bacon cooked enough. I think many of the diner cooks are timing the cooking instead of looking at the state of the "cook". I will send it back to get it cooked!

Pruitt
              Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Can't bring myself to send food back after complaining about it. Don't **** off the cook. And if you do, don't let him touch your food again. Especially if he's out of your sight.
                If there are no dogs in Heaven, then I want to go where they went when they died-Will Rogers

Comment

I saw that movie!

Pruitt
                  Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Many years ago I ordered a lasagne for lunch, much to my surprise it was cold in the middle.... which to me suggested they microwaved it! They gave me another and that was cold in the middle as well... as was the third, which was microwaved even more with similar results! I finally asked for my money back and they obliged.
                    "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
                    Ernest Hemingway.

In english "silence" means yelling louder than everyone else.

Comment

Don't **** off the cook. And if you do, don't let him touch your food again. Especially if he's out of your sight.
                      Hou-hou, the best advice ever.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X