Pinto beans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pinto beans

I'm looking to replace ham hocks from my beans because I'm sick of bone chips getting loose. What a good replacement?
    Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Ham, bacon, Little Smokies and plain sausage.

Pruitt
    Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
      I'm looking to replace ham hocks from my beans because I'm sick of bone chips getting loose. What a good replacement?
      Place the ham hocks in a bag that lets them give the flavor but don't fall apart. There are many such bags usually for spices. Then of course you can just strain the soup.
      "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
        Ham, bacon, Little Smokies and plain sausage.

Pruitt
        All ^that^, and salt pork as well.

PLAIN SAUSAGE?! Pruitt, I'm surprised. I'd have bet my left lower you'd have went with Andouille.
        Youthful Exuberance Is No Match For Old Age And Treachery.

Comment

Sounds like you leave it in too long. There is no replacement for ham hocks.
          My worst jump story:
          My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
          As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
          No lie.

~
          "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
          -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Originally posted by HMS Jr. View Post
            All ^that^, and salt pork as well.

PLAIN SAUSAGE?! Pruitt, I'm surprised. I'd have bet my left lower you'd have went with Andouille.
            I don't use plain sausage, I was throwing it out there. There are some little stores around Iowa and Mamou Louisiana the family likes to buy from. If in a bind, I will go to Kroger and pick up Hillshire Farm.

Pruitt
            Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Wrap it in cheesecloth.
              Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
                Wrap it in cheesecloth.
                That'll do it.
                "A common thug can kill someone, but it takes the talents of an intelligence service to make a murder appear to be a suicide or accident death." -- James Angleton, CIA, Chief of Counterintelligence.

Comment

I like the posts and I don't have much to add to the advice. The bag sounds like a muslin bag Bouquet Garni and it's a great idea. A bayleaf, garlic and fresh herb mix in a little tied muslin bag does the same job without getting in the food I love creamy mashed beans in the Slow Cooker, with chicken stock and bacon. A couple of pounds of pinto beans in ten cups of chicken stock takes about three to four hours slow cooking.

Maybe some peppers and pico de gallo, cheese too. Mash it up and it makes a great veg for fish or steak. And no soaking necessary.
                  Best wishes.

Comment

Would smoked turkey drumsticks work for you?

"Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

I never use anything but ham. But I also use 15 Bean Soup instead of plain pintos.
                      Hyperwar: World War II on the World Wide Web
                      Hyperwar, Whats New
                      World War II Resources
                      The best place in the world to "work".

Comment

Originally posted by OpanaPointer View Post
                        I never use anything but ham. But I also use 15 Bean Soup instead of plain pintos.
                        Well, that's good enough for Saint Lo, but I'm cooking in Texas, and a higher standard must be maintained.

Tried a smoked spiral cut ham (just part of the ham, not the whole ham), and used onion slices that were seasoned with garlic. Worked great.
                        Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Well, that's good enough for Saint Lo, but I'm cooking in Texas, and a higher standard must be maintained.

Tried a smoked spiral cut ham (just part of the ham, not the whole ham), and used onion slices that were seasoned with garlic. Worked great.
                          Don't forget the jalapenos.
                          Hyperwar, Whats New
                          World War II Resources

Comment

Originally posted by OpanaPointer View Post
                            Don't forget the jalapenos.
                            No, I can't hack Jalas except as breaded poppers. I do use some red pepper, but overall I'm not a spicy eater.

My next culinary effort is fried pickles, a huge favorite of mine and my wife.

Comment

No, I can't hack Jalas except as breaded poppers. I do use some red pepper, but overall I'm not a spicy eater.

My next culinary effort is fried pickles, a huge favorite of mine and my wife.
                              And mud crickets, don't forget those.
                              Hyperwar, Whats New
                              World War II Resources

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X