Cooking Turkey.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooking Turkey.

How do you do it? I'm rather old fashioned when it comes to it. I stuff the bird with a bread mixture that includes sauteed onions, celery, and carrots. I include a can of condensed mushroom soup in this recipe to make the moistest turkey that falls off the bone. Walnuts are optional, but other than that its just a traditional baked turkey.

What do you do?
    Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Well, I usually eat a large portion of it.
    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

You don't cook? I love the look of pleasure that it brings to my buddies... They always clamor for me to make my special meals. (Must be the engineer in me.) But I like cooking for others.

Bbq is my specialty. Smoked ribs... Num, num, num.
      Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Matter of fact, Thanks Giving Dinner was the first meal I cooked for my bride to be. Did all the typical side dishes from sweet potatoes, asparagus with sauce béarnaise, filling etc and pie. She only had to do the gravy as that isn't high on my list of how to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
          How do you do it? I'm rather old fashioned when it comes to it. I stuff the bird with a bread mixture that includes sauteed onions, celery, and carrots. I include a can of condensed mushroom soup in this recipe to make the moistest turkey that falls off the bone. Walnuts are optional, but other than that its just a traditional baked turkey.

What do you do?
          Bacon fat is the key .

Turkey is dry. It's great for many healthy meals, but come Xmas, who is worrying about gaining an ounce or two.

Stuff lard between skin and flesh and the bird will be great.

As for stuffing the cavity, I don't with stuffing. Instead, I fill that crevice with garlic, onion and halved lemon.

Stuffing is best served crispy on the outside and succulent in the middle. It needs to be cooked seperately from the bird, especially turkey which does not share its flavour well in my experience.
          How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
          Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
            Bacon fat is the key .

Turkey is dry. It's great for many healthy meals, but come Xmas, who is worrying about gaining an ounce or two.

Stuff lard between skin and flesh and the bird will be great.

As for stuffing the cavity, I don't with stuffing. Instead, I fill that crevice with garlic, onion and halved lemon.

Stuffing is best served crispy on the outside and succulent in the middle. It needs to be cooked seperately from the bird, especially turkey which does not share its flavour well in my experience.
            It sounds like you have never done a Butterball

http://www.butterball.com/

About the only mistake you can make with one of these is not turning on the oven.

Comment

Believe it or not, slow cooker. Stuffing first, turkey breast on top, a little mushroom soup to cover or just seasonings. The stuffing will initially be very wet so if you want you can scoop it out and put it in the oven for a few to form a crispy top. Otherwise the bird just falls off the bone and of course it can't get any easier, you just turn in on an leave it. No basting or even looking at it until the timer pops.
              Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

Cook's Illustrated in recent issue had a variation on Julia Child's approach. Involves removing the legs and de-boning the thighs, remove the back-bone portion, and cook the breast-wings about 30 minutes extra in advance before placing it and legs atop the dressing in the roasting pan for a combined cook of about 40 minutes.

I scattered about a half dozen medium russet potatoes about the pan for extras(baked) and made the stuffing with rice-bread, toasted (wife can't do wheat or eggs). Came out fantastic, or so she raved.

Now that I got the hang of the process, we'll be cooking it this way more often. Of course bones and other scraps go into a stock pot for making broth.

Here's the more detailed recipe;
                http://www.cooksillustrated.com/reci...code=MCSCZ00L0

Single best buy food/cooking magazine we've found is Cook's Illustrated, well worth a subscription;
                http://www.cooksillustrated.com/

Their TV show, "America's Test Kitchen" is also excellent, or get the DVDs (we check them out from local library).

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X