Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to:fish and chips

Hello les garçons!

A very simple question:is there a member here who has his "best recipe " of fish and chips.
    I mean,i know how to make french fries.
    My point is :i don't look after a french recipe politiclly correct,if you know what i mean,Youtube is full of that.
    I want the real recipe,the one with the best batter,the most tasteful and full of hints i cannot imagine.
    I am sure that the British members can help,and maybe some Americans have variations very interesting.

Thank you by advance!
    Bonne journée!
    That rug really tied the room together

Well I'd like to start by asking you how you guys do french fries? I double cook them, once till they're lightly browned then I remove them and let the oil reheat and then put them back in to get that lovely puffed effect. Crunchy on the outside and puffy on the inside.

I use a beer batter on the fish. A quick search on the net gets close to what I do.
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/p...ipe/index.html

I use Guinness beer just because of the flavor.
    Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

I use the following:

1) lean slighhtly out of the window.

2) face the grill squarely.

3) Say 'Two Number 4s with fries instead of slaw, please'

4) Listen carefully as they repeat the order.

Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
        Well I'd like to start by asking you how you guys do french fries? I double cook them, once till they're lightly browned then I remove them and let the oil reheat and then put them back in to get that lovely puffed effect. Crunchy on the outside and puffy on the inside.

I use a beer batter on the fish. A quick search on the net gets close to what I do.
        http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/p...ipe/index.html

I use Guinness beer just because of the flavor.
        I do french fries exactly the same as you do.I don't know a different way,did i told you i was french,like in "french fries"....

So you use Guiness.I keep the hint in mind,Very kind of you!

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
          I use the following:

1) lean slighhtly out of the window.

2) face the grill squarely.

3) Say 'Two Number 4s with fries instead of slaw, please'

4) Listen carefully as they repeat the order.

That's why Americans are obese...
          Very funny Arnold!

Comment

Originally posted by sebfrench76 View Post
            I do french fries exactly the same as you do.I don't know a different way,did i told you i was french,like in "french fries"....

So you use Guiness.I keep the hint in mind,Very kind of you!
            Most people and restaurants don't cook their fries like that. They just fry them once and call it 'good'.

But I like to cook and am picky about my food.
            Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Bonjour & G'day sebfrench76.

I was born in England and enjoyed fish and chips many times. I came to Australia when I was about 19 and have lived here since. I will be expressing my opinion here.

To make the fish and chips properly it is best to divide the subject into categories. Selection of ingredients, preparation, cooking, adding condiments etc.
              Selection of ingredients Choose a type of fish that you like. It's traditional in the UK to use Cod but other similar fish are used too. In Australia Flake (a cut of Shark) is preferred but other fish are used too ; it varies depending on whether the fish will be battered, crumbed, deep fried, pan fried, grilled, microwaved etc. Potatoes vary from country to country as well but the most popular when I lived in the UK were King Edward's. In Australia now Pontiac is the most popular type.
              Preparation If you are using fresh ingredients it's essential to make sure that the fish hasn't gone off. Look carefully at the potatoes -- if they have a green tinge to them they are unsuitable for human consumption. If the potatoes are well washed you can leave the skin on as it contains a lot of vitamin C. My knowledge of which fish taste better with the skin left on is non-existent but that will be another consideration. Other fish that are used in Australia for this dish are Schnapper (usually battered) and Barramundi which is a delicious fish without batter or breadcrumbs though some people like to add lemon.
              Cooking Now you must decide how you would like to cook the fish and chips. Consider that you can add batter to both. Most people like the batter to be crisp and the addition of alcohol (like beer or wine) will improve the crispness but you can improve it by additional frying briefly at a higher temperature. (If you are trying to lose weight it would probably better to omit the batter / breadcrumbing unless you can be satisfied with a smaller portion.) For crumbed fish it's best to use a very light batter to help the bread crumbs stick during the frying. I don't have a lot of experience of grilling fish but obviously it's best not to use batter / breadcrumbs. For oven-baking add batter after the fish / chips has cooked through then return to the oven for as long as it takes to cook the batter -- shouldn't be more than ten minutes. My only tip for microwaving is to cook the chips separately as they will take the heat away from the fish.
              Adding condiments. In the UK salt and vinegar are the traditional condiments for fish and chips but vinegar will register on a breathalyser so be careful. In Australia lemon is preferred instead of vinegar -- probably due to the influence of Greek and Italian immigrants. I don't know of any fish that is improved by adding pepper.

More about ingredients.

Shoestring chips are like those you can buy at McDonald's -- they are cut very thin so that they fry quickly and have a lot of crispness. They don't have much of the real potato taste left though. You too can cut have thinly cut chips but you'll probably need some sort of potato cutter to make them -- maybe something like this

Home fries or steak fries are the normal cut of potatoes and to make them crispier you may want to cover them in batter before you fry them.

Maybe instead of chips you'd like something with a similar taste but (potentially) healthier.

Potato wedges are cut in a similar shape as an orange segment and are healthier (in small quantities) because the skin is left on providing roughage and vitamin C. Their crispness is provided by the skin as well as the frying.

If you have a restricted budget you might want to substitute Fish Fingers ; knowing that fish don't have fingers (as chickens don't have nuggets) might put you off though.

If it's a very hot day but you still have a yen for home made fish and chips consider salmon and potato salad.

Wine

I'm sorry to say that my expertise on wine is somewhat limited. I know white wine with white meat and red wine with red meat. I would say that a light non-sparkling wine would go well with fish (as long as you are not using vinegar or lot of lemon juice as a condiment) and for that I would definitely recommend an Australian Riesling.

--------------------------------------------------------------

(Perhaps, sebfrench76, in another thread you might share some wine wisdom with us. I would really like to to know which wine I should choose for grey meat like buffalo or what would be the best with a crocodile steak. Also with what food a rosé wine would be consumed.)
              Last edited by Cosmos; 22 Nov 13, 20:02.
              The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. Thomas Jefferson.

Comment

Quite true Cosmos:- excellent. If I may amplify: I think that the real secret is in the oil used for frying. That's of course, if you're deep frying the chips rather than oven-baking them.

In a traditional English context that means deep frying in Beef Lard -"Dripping" , and ,to be quite authentic,they are always served within vinegar -soaked newspaper.

Regardez:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=5WQWnOub9L0

In England, plaice or cod are the fish served, I think,whereas in Australia it's flounder-usually grilled- or "flake" (actually shark).

These days, for the health -aware, fresh Canola (Rape Seed) Oil is best used.
                Last edited by BELGRAVE; 22 Nov 13, 19:29.
                "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
                Samuel Johnson.

Comment

In french "merci du fond du Coeur pour le partage"
                  Thank you from the deep of my heart for the sharing..
                  I will try your recipes asap with my loved ones..

Comment

http://www.greatbritishchefs.com/rec...fish-and-chips

Paul
                    ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
                    All human ills he can subdue,
                    Or with a bauble or medal
                    Can win mans heart for you;
                    And many a blessing know to stew
                    To make a megloamaniac bright;
                    Give honour to the dainty Corse,
                    The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

Perhaps, sebfrench76, in another thread you might share some wine wisdom with us. I would really like to to know which wine I should choose for grey meat like buffalo or what would be the best with a crocodile steak. Also with what food a rosé wine would be consumed.)

Comment

i dont fish and chips but if you want fish i give you a snoek braai

http://braai.com/recipes/how-to-braai-snoek/
                        you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

Originally posted by sebfrench76 View Post
                          Perhaps, sebfrench76, in another thread you might share some wine wisdom with us. I would really like to to know which wine I should choose for grey meat like buffalo or what would be the best with a crocodile steak. Also with what food a rosé wine would be consumed.)
                          Buffaloes (and kangaroos) eat mostly grass (herbivores) so their meat tastes very much like beef. Carnivores (wild cats, wild dogs etc) usually have a stronger flavour to their meat (so I'm told) but for some reason crocodile tastes somewhat like chicken, somewhat like fish.
                          The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. Thomas Jefferson.

Comment

Originally posted by Cosmos View Post
                            Buffaloes (and kangaroos) eat mostly grass (herbivores) so their meat tastes very much like beef. Carnivores (wild cats, wild dogs etc) usually have a stronger flavour to their meat (so I'm told) but for some reason crocodile tastes somewhat like chicken, somewhat like fish.

To me, croc reminds me of crab meat in taste, although in consistency it is like chicken.

I wonder if the croc's diet has an impact on the taste.
                            Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Is it just a Ca thing? Fish Tacos...

Try it. But do take the trouble to fry the corn tortillas.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/fish-tacos/
                              Credo quia absurdum.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X