STEAK...what do you do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
    I reckon I'm a very good cook, bordering on genius in a few cases.

However, I have yet to cook a steak I have thought was exceptional or even great. It's my Achilles heal of cuisine, and one job I have to leave to my wife .

I cannot brine a bird properly either .

I'm much better with cheap cuts of meat, which is both a blessing and a curse. Saves money and produces a better meal imo, but much more preparation and time is required.
    Your from the UK! Your dreaming.

If your into saving money stick to your banger and mash. Buy a good piece of beef, top loin, yesterday, and eat it as God intended. No salt, no fig leaf, just bear meat. Cooking lessons from the UK is like good beer from the US. However on my recent vacation to the US I found a couple US beers that I'd put up against any other beer when it comes to taste.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post

Cooking lessons from the UK is like good beer from the US. However on my recent vacation to the US I found a couple US beers that I'd put up against any other beer when it comes to taste.
      Glad to hear you qualify your opinions of US micro brewed beer! Welcome back from your vacation you long range sniper, you!.
      "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

If your into saving money stick to your banger and mash. Buy a good piece of beef, top loin, yesterday, and eat it as God intended. No salt, no fig leaf, just bear meat. Cooking lessons from the UK is like good beer from the US. However on my recent vacation to the US I found a couple US beers that I'd put up against any other beer when it comes to taste.
        What??? No visit?

Welcome back .

Hey Maggie. We are soulmates for sure . My wife likes her steaks to resemble an old shoe... a very old shoe.
        SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

Comment

Your from the UK! Your dreaming
          You may have been right if it were the 70's .
          Since then Delia Smith started the road back to us Brits putting a decent plate of food in front of our families .
          Sausages are God's way of telling a decent butcher from a bad one. I live in Pontardawe, Wales, and we have the best small butcher in the country .
          He continually wins multiple awards for his sausage .
          How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
          Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

I prefer medium well myself. I grill it, bake it, broil it. I make my own marinade. Then I devour it.
            This bass guitar kills TERRORISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

rare-sirloin and the cheaper meats (some of which I don't particularly like the texture of)

medium-rare everything else. medium on rib eye sometimes due to the fat content rendering.
              Zhitomir-Berdichev, West of Kiev: 24 Dec 1943-31 Jan 1944
              Stalin's Favorite: The Combat History of the 2nd Guards Tank Army
              Barbarossa Derailed I & II
              Battle of Kalinin October 1941

Comment

Consume with mushrooms and chips (UK definition).
                Per Ardua ad Astra

Comment

Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
                  You may have been right if it were the 70's .
                  Since then Delia Smith started the road back to us Brits putting a decent plate of food in front of our families .

Sausages are God's way of telling a decent butcher from a bad one. I live in Pontardawe, Wales, and we have the best small butcher in the country .
                  He continually wins multiple awards for his sausage .
                  South Wales! Land of Mother!
                  Per Ardua ad Astra

Comment

Well done, and served with peas and mash.
                    Indyref2 - still, "Yes."

Comment

Mind you, REAL homemade horseraddish is GREAT!
                      Per Ardua ad Astra

Comment

New York Shell, rubbed with salt and pepper, barbecued over real charcoal, seared outside and rare inside, let rest for four minutes, served with baked potato, tossed salad with balsamic vinaigrette, washed down with Scotch, vodka, or tequila, depending on the season, or a good lager or dry Riesling if the former spirits are not available.

Originally posted by the ace View Post
                        Well done, and served with peas and mash.
                        Savage.

Originally posted by Lāčplēsis View Post
                        Mind you, REAL homemade horseraddish is GREAT!
                        Fckin' A, Bubba!
                        I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post

Fckin' A, Bubba!
                          Sadly in London we don't get much by NY Sate wine; but must say a good, nay great tannined red seems to go down the red lane very well, thinking Burgandy, Rioja or Barolo..... but good is essential...
                          Per Ardua ad Astra

Comment

Originally posted by Lāčplēsis View Post
                            Sadly in London we don't get much by NY Sate wine; but must say a good, nay great tannined red seems to go down the red lane very well, thinking Burgandy, Rioja or Barolo..... but good is essential...
                            NYS wines are improving, but Coppola in California puts out an outstanding claret. Yeah, that Coppola. A good chianti always washes down the beef pretty well though.
                            I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
                              New York Shell, rubbed with salt and pepper, barbecued over real charcoal, seared outside and rare inside, let rest for four minutes, served with baked potato, tossed salad with balsamic vinaigrette, washed down with Scotch, vodka, or tequila, depending on the season, or a good lager or dry Riesling if the former spirits are not available.

Savage.

Fckin' A, Bubba!
                              (my bold)

Yes, your point being....

Ice cold irn bru goes down very well with steak - then again, I would say that.
                              Indyref2 - still, "Yes."

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X