Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

STEAK...what do you do?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • STEAK...what do you do?

    I am referring to what do you do with your steak. Yes, there are many that say they want their beef with nothing on it, no sauces, no onions...nothing. good for you, this thread is not for you. I want to hear from those that get creative and make a sauce for their steak. Example:
    Tonight I sauteed some onion and after it had wilted and browned a bit I started adding stuff to make my sauce (this sauce can go cold on the beef if I like.) Started with ketchup, molasses, mustard, worcestershire sauce, balsamic vinegar, garlic powder, onion powder, ground black and red pepper, salt and cumin. I will overdue the red pepper sometimes, if I'm looking for some heat. I should add horseradish but I'm not supposed to eat stuff like that so it is best to keep it around the house.
    John

    Play La Marseillaise. Play it!

  • #2
    I like to barbecue every weekend.
    If I cook a steak, I never leave it stock.
    I collect sauces, and rubs, and I like to play around and experiment.
    Sometimes, I'll soak it with ketchup, and sqeeze some into my mouth, to ensure I have some with every bite.
    Whatever I want.
    "Advances in technology tend to overwhelm me."

    Comment


    • #3
      Garlic Salt
      Onion Powder
      Salt
      Pepper

      Grill to perfection .
      SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

      Comment


      • #4
        I reckon I'm a very good cook, bordering on genius in a few cases.

        However, I have yet to cook a steak I have thought was exceptional or even great. It's my Achilles heal of cuisine, and one job I have to leave to my wife .

        I cannot brine a bird properly either .

        I'm much better with cheap cuts of meat, which is both a blessing and a curse. Saves money and produces a better meal imo, but much more preparation and time is required.
        How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
        Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

        Comment


        • #5
          Fajita seasoning and then on the George Foreman grill.
          Proud to be an American Veteran

          Comment


          • #6
            Marinated in teriyaki and my spices, rubbed in garlic and grill the sumbitch. Medium Well.
            This bass guitar kills TERRORISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
              I reckon I'm a very good cook, bordering on genius in a few cases.
              If you do say so yourself.

              Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
              However, I have yet to cook a steak I have thought was exceptional or even great. It's my Achilles heal of cuisine, and one job I have to leave to my wife .
              I find that even though I like the sauces I make the steak itself can occasionally be not great. I try to buy as good a cut as I feel like spending that night and that is probably part of the problem. Some of the redneck snobs in this country will tell you there is no good beef east of the Mississippi but I don't buy that.
              John

              Play La Marseillaise. Play it!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Slug View Post
                Sometimes, I'll soak it with ketchup, and sqeeze some into my mouth, to ensure I have some with every bite.
                I think this image will haunt me tonight.
                John

                Play La Marseillaise. Play it!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
                  I reckon I'm a very good cook, bordering on genius in a few cases.

                  However, I have yet to cook a steak I have thought was exceptional or even great. It's my Achilles heal of cuisine, and one job I have to leave to my wife .

                  I cannot brine a bird properly either .

                  I'm much better with cheap cuts of meat, which is both a blessing and a curse. Saves money and produces a better meal imo, but much more preparation and time is required.
                  You might try to cook your steaks over charcoal or on a gas grill until a small puddle of what looks like blood (fibrinogen) forms on top of the steak, about 3 to 6 minutes into the cooking process, depending on the intensity of fire's heat. Flip it over and cook for a few minutes longer. Depending on the doneness of the meat you like, take a knife and cut into the steak to determine how well done it is. As soon as the inside of the steak reaches a shade of colour slightly less than you like, remove it and put it onto a platter for several minutes to let it rest to allow the juices to recirculate throughout the meat. The steak will continue to cook without any additional outside heat for a few minutes and it will reach your favorite level of doneness.

                  I brine and roast or smoke turkeys all the time. Take a long tined fork and poke the bird all over, a hundred times or more, front and back, paying attention to the breast, legs, thighs and wings. The brine mixture for a 20 lb. turkey is two cups of kosher or pickling salt per two gallons of water. Make sure you use kosher or pickling salt because iodized salt will give the meat an off flavour. Easy-peasy!.
                  "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
                    I reckon I'm a very good cook, bordering on genius in a few cases.
                    Originally posted by JBark View Post
                    If you do say so yourself.
                    Absolutely .
                    Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
                    However, I have yet to cook a steak I have thought was exceptional or even great. It's my Achilles heal of cuisine, and one job I have to leave to my wife .
                    Originally posted by johnbryan View Post
                    You might try to cook your steaks over charcoal or on a gas grill until a small puddle of what looks like blood (fibrinogen) forms on top of the steak, about 3 to 6 minutes into the cooking process, depending on the intensity of fire's heat. Flip it over and cook for a few minutes longer. Depending on the doneness of the meat you like, take a knife and cut into the steak to determine how well done it is. As soon as the inside of the steak reaches a shade of colour slightly less than you like, remove it and put it onto a platter for several minutes to let it rest to allow the juices to recirculate throughout the meat. The steak will continue to cook without any additional outside heat for a few minutes and it will reach your favorite level of doneness.
                    I've tried everything, and it's just a failing I'll have to live with.
                    Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
                    I cannot brine a bird properly either .
                    Originally posted by johnbryan View Post
                    I brine and roast or smoke turkeys all the time. Take a long tined fork and poke the bird all over, a hundred times or more, front and back, paying attention to the breast, legs, thighs and wings. The brine mixture for a 20 lb. turkey is two cups of kosher or pickling salt per two gallons of water. Make sure you use kosher or pickling salt because iodized salt will give the meat an off flavour. Easy-peasy!.
                    Brining is not something I actually worry about. We have the best small butcher in the country on our doorstep, and I can get 5Ibs of organic free range chicken breast for 12.99 or 3 Ibs of chicken wings for 2.99. Neither needs any enhancing before cooking.
                    Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
                    I'm much better with cheap cuts of meat, which is both a blessing and a curse. Saves money and produces a better meal imo, but much more preparation and time is required.
                    Shin is my new favourite. I roast it slowly for 8 hours, then slice it, then make a stew with onion varients (eg leek and garlic as well as actual onions) and plenty of different types of root veg.
                    Originally posted by JBark View Post
                    Some of the redneck snobs in this country will tell you there is no good beef east of the Mississippi but I don't buy that.
                    My parents have recently toured the states, and if there is one piece of meat that the US cook better than anywhere else in the would it's beef in their opinion, regardless of state.
                    How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
                    Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I grill a rib steak at least once a week I used to marinate it in spicy tandoori sauce for two days until they stopped selling it now I use spicy southwest sauce and I cook it rare 2 minutes on each side with Montreal steak spice and put A-1 sauce on.
                      Last edited by VinceW; 11 May 13, 09:36.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        A good cut of steak only requires salt & pepper. It's best to grill it quickly over high heat (~700 F). Natural charcoal works best. When the steak is done, put it on a plate an put a pat of butter on each steak. When the butter melts, it's ready to eat.

                        I got a Big Green Egg a couple of months ago. It is awesome. I haven't grilled a steak on it yet; but I have done chicken & ribs... Which I'll be doing again today or tomorrow. I'll try to post some pictures.
                        Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Marinade for the cheaper cuts, light dry seasoning for the better ones. Sometimes I just use a commercial marinade, other times I start with a little white vinegar, or olive oil and toss in whatever seasoning smells good.

                          In the summer we usually slice it over a green salad so limit the seasoning to something that will go well with the dressing.

                          Can't wait for the fresh tomatoes to come on thought. Sweet and a bit acidic makes a nice complement to the meat.
                          Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

                          Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            BBQ it. or I just put it in a oven
                            "With foxes we must play the fox."
                            -Thomas Fuller

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by GCoyote View Post
                              Marinade for the cheaper cuts, light dry seasoning for the better ones. Sometimes I just use a commercial marinade, other times I start with a little white vinegar, or olive oil and toss in whatever seasoning smells good.

                              In the summer we usually slice it over a green salad so limit the seasoning to something that will go well with the dressing.

                              Can't wait for the fresh tomatoes to come on thought. Sweet and a bit acidic makes a nice complement to the meat.
                              I'm a bit north of you in Pa. and I have to say there is something wonderfully addicting in the tomatoes I buy around here, especially the cherry tomatoes. I could make a meal out of just them...but like the steak too much to leave it out.
                              John

                              Play La Marseillaise. Play it!

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X