Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What sort of cost saving meals do you cook?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What sort of cost saving meals do you cook?

Whenever I find a smoked pork picnic, front-leg shoulder roast that's marked down in price. I immediately snap that bastard up into my market basket. Given that it's so heavily salted, I immerse it in water in a big stock pot, along with onions, potatoes, parsnips, turnips and let it cook low and slow, covered in the oven for several hours. About an hour before serving, I throw in alot of chopped carrots and cabbage and allow it to continue cooking. You've got a nice boiled dinner there when served.
    "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

After the Sunday roast, I strip the carcass of white meat for sandwiches and reserve the rest with any left over gravy. I then boil the carcass for an hour with onion, celery, carrot, garlic with a decent stock cube to make a broth. Then I strain said stock and use that with the reserved chicken with finely sliced onion onion and celery to make a chicken rissotto.

In a wok, add the onion with a bit of unsalted butter, and cook for 5 minutes on a low heat, then add the celery for a couple minutes more on a medium heat. Then add the rice, making sure each grain is coated, then slowly add the stock, while continuing to stir. When nearly ready, add cooked chicken and gravy and continue to cook until hot.

You can add cheese, but we don't bother.

I actually use that stock for lots of soup and gravy recipes .
    How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
    Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

Sliced Hog Bung imitation Calamari!
      http://www.slate.com/articles/life/f..._true_but.html
      The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

Comment

I used to cook a box of Kraft Macaroni and Cheese, fry some Spam and open a couple cans of vegetables. Feeds two people well!

Another idea is to cook some dry Blackeye Peas with a little dried Onion and Bell Pepper. Mix in some sausage you like and serve over rice and your choice of bread.

I also like to get the Deli to cut half a pound of Honey Ham. I then make a couple of packets of instant mashed potatoes with a couple of vegetables. If you wish, whatever choice of bread you like.

One of my favorites is Eggs and Rice. It can be fixed many ways, but I start off cooking a pound of Bacon, and crumble it. Rice can be started early. I then put as many eggs as I think we will eat. Two people can get by with a dozen. The six of us at my daughter's house can eat 22! After the rice is ready, put the eggs in the skillet with the Bacon Grease. You can pour off most of the grease if you like. When the eggs start to harden, mix in crumbled Bacon and rice. Stir until everything is cooked. It might be a little moist when you first scoop out but the heat of the skillet gets rid of it when you come back for seconds! And you will!

You can add all kinds of things to eggs and rice. Just off the top of my head, peppers, cheese, and onions. Experiment until you get something you like!

From the song, you can make a "Wish Sandwich" with two slices of bread! You then "wish" you had some meat!

Pruitt
        Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

The components for the meals is where I try and save. Most of the time I buy the store brand goods and save quite a bit of cash that way. Some items I can't help but to buy name brand, but for the most part, cheapo for me.
          One bargain meal that I do make is the trusty hamburger and potatoes. Throw in some onion, carrots, and corn and that makes for a pretty damn tasty dinner IMO.
          "You listen to the ol' Pork Chop Express on a dark and stormy night......"

Comment

Easiest, simplest stew in the world. Cubed ham, cubed potatoes, green beans. I usually use a large frying pan and use enough water to cover the potatoes. Boil your potatoes and cubed ham together until the potatoes are done. Add the green beans and several cranks of fresh ground pepper from the peppermill. Cook until the beans are done and serve with crusty bread and butter. Damn tasty!.

Comment

Originally posted by johnbryan View Post
              Easiest, simplest stew in the world. Cubed ham, cubed potatoes, green beans. I usually use a large frying pan and use enough water to cover the potatoes. Boil your potatoes and cubed ham together until the potatoes are done. Add the green beans and several cranks of fresh ground pepper from the peppermill. Cook until the beans are done and serve with crusty bread and butter. Damn tasty!.
              That sounds really good!
              "You listen to the ol' Pork Chop Express on a dark and stormy night......"

Comment

Originally posted by johnbryan View Post
                Nice dish and similar to something that I used to cook when I was a bachelor, but technically........it is a soup.
                Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Article from 2007 at getrichslowly.com

How to Feed Yourself for $15 a Week
                  Probably costs a little more than that now but the basic ideas are good. http://www.getrichslowly.org/blog/20...for-15-a-week/
                  The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. Thomas Jefferson.

Comment

Originally posted by Cosmos View Post
                    Article from 2007 at getrichslowly.com

How to Feed Yourself for $15 a Week
                    Probably costs a little more than that now but the basic ideas are good. http://www.getrichslowly.org/blog/20...for-15-a-week/
                    Fifteen bucks a week will feed you like a king in certain places, and damn impossible in other places.
                    Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Originally posted by Salinator View Post
                      Fifteen bucks a week will feed you like a king in certain places, and damn impossible in other places.
                      There are certain indicators within the article that it was meant for people living in the US. Wherever you live you'll find the recommendations will point to the cheaper meals.
                      The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. Thomas Jefferson.

Comment

We started with leftover stock from a boiled dinner, threw in leftover veggies from last week, and some frozen mystery meat I found behind the frozen vegetables (tastes like chicken ). Added milk, cheese, and flour to make it a creamy chowder.

Once again, my wife is cooking by eye and taste so there is no actual recipe involved.
                        Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

Food is usually the last thing I save money on. I like eating good and well. On the other hand I can go for a few days without a real meal, which brings the total costs down.

But of course from tiem to time I am broke and then I make soups or other filling, easy and cheap foods. Pasta is always cheap, add some veggies or mince meat etc.
                          Wisdom is personal

Comment

Strange Pie

On Mondays my dad used to serve us Strange Pie.

It's pretty simple. You take Sundays roast and cut the leftovers in equal sized pieces. You'd then put it in ovenware, and cover it with leftover gravy, adding more stock if necessary to cover the meat, veg, stuffing, potatoes etc. Then you would cover it with pastry and cook.

It was really hit and miss. Sometimes is was extraordinarily good. Sometimes .

Edit: My missus was reading this over my shoulder. She says that her grandma put all the leftovers from the weeks meals into a pot and make a soup on Fridays.
                            Last edited by Nick the Noodle; 28 Jan 13, 16:45.
                            How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
                            Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
                              Strange Pie

On Mondays my dad used to serve us Strange Pie.

It's pretty simple. You take Sundays roast and cut the leftovers in equal sized pieces. You'd then put it in ovenware, and cover it with leftover gravy, adding more stock if necessary to cover the meat, veg, stuffing, potatoes etc. Then you would cover it with pastry and cook.

It was really hit and miss. Sometimes is was extraordinarily good. Sometimes .

Edit: My missus was reading this over my shoulder. She says that her grandma put all the leftovers from the weeks meals into a pot and make a soup on Fridays.
                              Sounds great! My mom used to take a left over pot roast and prepare it the same way, except she would fry it up along with the left over potatoes, chopped carrots and celery. She called it "hash." Delicious!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X