Crockpot Chili Fail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crockpot Chili Fail

I attempted to make a crock pot of chili to share with the nurses I work with and I got up this morning to taste it and it's crap. I think I'm going to dump the whole thing and there's no way I'm sharing this muddy liquid with the nurses.

Anybody has good crockpot chili recipes that are reliable and won't embarrass me in front of the girls?

Thanks!

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
    --Frederick II, King of Prussia

Originally posted by MonsterZero View Post
    I attempted to make a crock pot of chili to share with the nurses I work with and I got up this morning to taste it and it's crap. I think I'm going to dump the whole thing and there's no way I'm sharing this muddy liquid with the nurses.

Anybody has good crockpot chili recipes that are reliable and won't embarrass me in front of the girls?

Thanks!
    It's not crock pot and if the girls are hot or like hot I have one. You just have to spend the time in the kitchen to do it right. Interested?
    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Thanks!
      So, wake up the flavor with a good splash of beer, some V-8 Juice, fresh onions and or garlic. A shake or two of Worchester Sauce and some diced fresh tomatoes, cilantro, cumin powder and minced fresh peppers, plus mixed Italian herbs can work wonders. Chili is endlessly versatile and only dies if you bury it.
      "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

Originally posted by johnbryan View Post
        So, wake up the flavor with a good splash of beer, some V-8 Juice, fresh onions and or garlic. A shake or two of Worchester Sauce and some diced fresh tomatoes, cilantro, cumin powder and minced fresh peppers, plus mixed Italian herbs can work wonders. Chili is endlessly versatile and only dies if you bury it.
        Go away pppussy

Comment

Thanks!
          Can I assume that you just want to put some ingredients in a pot, and let it slow cook while you are at work? Mince/ground beef, does not work best that way.

First trick is to use decent meat from a proper butcher.

For best results dry fry the mince in a pan (I use a wok) and season it while cooking, not before. This is because you will draw out the moisture from the meat if you salt it early, thus causing the meat to boil, rather than fry. Second, do NOT break up the mince in the pan, but allow it to colour fully on one side before flipping in onto the other. Again, this is to prevent boiling. Once the beef is coloured to your liking (I like a golden brown on most sides), then use a slotted spoon to reserve the meat. The fat that remains in the pan can then be used to sweat the onions, garlic et al, before putting the meat back in.

A recipe of mine. Not quite proper chili but close .

Dry fry and season meat as above. Any spices, eg chili, paprika, cumin and cayenne are added here. Drain meat when browned to your liking and reserve.

In the fat, cook bacon until starting to crisp, then add onion and garlic. Once starting to colour, add grated celery and carrot. Cook for 2 minutes, then add beef back into the mixture.

Add a two std cans/containers of tomatoes/passata and season further to your liking. Worcester sauce, garlic puree, balsamic/red wine vinegars, ruby port or red wine are options. A small splodge of decent ketchup/catsup can help at this point.

If you want to add herbs, use Mexican Oregano if you can find it. Add it just after the tomatoes have been introduced.

Cook for 30 minutes.

Then cool or even freeze and reheat when required. It simply tastes much better second time around. This is important when trying to impress the opposite sex.

For every 1 Lbs of beef.

I strip of decent bacon cut into small cubes (kitchen scissors are best).
          1 large carrot, grated.
          2 sticks of celery, grated.
          1 large onion, chopped finely.
          2 garlic cloves, at least, and mashed/pureed.
          2 tins of tomatoes/ cartons of passata.
          Salt, pepper, cayenne, chili and cumin powder to taste. I would suggest ratios of 4:2:1:1:1 initially, with salt at 1 teaspoon, and the others at 1/2 and 1/4 teaspoons respectively (better to be cautious here, unles you know the heat levels the ladies can take).
          Splash of Worcester sauce helps, as does decent concentrated beef stock after the tomatoes have been added.

This recipe is a cross between a chili and a spag bol just because I don't like kidney beans.
          How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
          Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
            Go away pppussy
            What's wrong with what I wrote?

Comment

Originally posted by johnbryan View Post
              What's wrong with what I wrote?
              Italian herbs
              We're not making pasta JohnB

With chili it is each his own. Not set rules. I had a book 101 of the worlds chili. One even used Chocolate.

Comment

Nick is basically correct about the meat. I now brown the meat before hand for all of my crock pot cooking. A side benefit is if you are using a cheaper grade of meat you will be able to drain off the excess fat from before you add it to the crock pot.

My crock pot chili tastes just like my regular chili except it does not have that charcoal taste it gets when I forget to stir it because I'm on ACG instead of watching what I'm doing.
                Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

We're not making pasta JohnB

With chili it is each his own. Not set rules. I had a book 101 of the worlds chili. One even used Chocolate.
                  If you buy a jar full of store-bought mixed Mexican herbs over here, you'll most likely buy a mixture with oregano, rosemary, basil, cilantro and etc. in it. So what's the difference? Six of one, half a dozen of the other. If you're using dark, bitter chocolate, you are most likely making a mole' sauce, which is very popular in some south of the border cooking. Don't knock it until you've tried it. You might be really surprised as to the depths of flavor in a traditionally prepared mole' sauce.

Comment

The use of dark chocolate also imparts some bitterness to the chili in the same way that the addition of beer can and does so.

Comment

Give them something they're remember. Habañero Hellfire Chili
                      Not crock pot, I don't know if crock pot would withstand it.
                      Hyperwar: World War II on the World Wide Web
                      Hyperwar, Whats New
                      World War II Resources
                      The best place in the world to "work".

Comment

If you want to avoid the “gas” issue with the beans - boil the beans on the stove first. The slow cooker doesn’t get hot enough to “de-gas” them.

Comment

Originally posted by mimike View Post
                          If you want to avoid the “gas” issue with the beans - boil the beans on the stove first. The slow cooker doesn’t get hot enough to “de-gas” them.
                          Beans are high fiber, that's what causes the gas.
                          Hyperwar: World War II on the World Wide Web
                          Hyperwar, Whats New
                          World War II Resources
                          The best place in the world to "work".

Comment

Originally posted by mimike View Post
                            The best method for degassing beans is to soak it for at least eight hours, rinse, then boil, and rinse again.

Originally posted by OpanaPointer View Post
                            Beans are high fiber, that's what causes the gas.
                            Yes, but it is not the fiber itself, but the digestive process that causes the gas. Fiber for the most part cannot by digested by human intestines, that is why it is used for constipation because retains water thus adding it bulk to the stool. What causes the gas is the colonic bacteria that can digest some fibers.........so in a sense, the more you fart, the better your overall digestion!
                            Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Originally posted by Salinator View Post
                              so in a sense, the more you fart, the better your overall digestion!
                              Same with burping, it's why babies get burped...for digestion.
                              "Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X