Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lord of the Rings

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Lord of the Rings

    General Opinions. (no pun intended) about this "military" movie.
    1
    Loved it. The books and the movies.
    100.00%
    1
    The books are better than the movies.
    0.00%
    0
    The movies are better than the books.
    0.00%
    0
    Don't really care about LOTR.
    0.00%
    0
    Absolutely Hate LOTR.
    0.00%
    0
    To make this multiple choice: And it whups Harry Potter's butt anyday
    0.00%
    0
    Harry Potter is better.
    0.00%
    0
    The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed. -Carl Jung

    Hell is other people. -Jean-Paul Sarte

  • #2
    The only thing I like in the movie is Liv Tyler.







    ______
    The strongest principle of growth lies in human choice.
    -George Eliot
    I hate it when I see one of those road signs that says "Draw Bridge Ahead" and I don't have a pencil.
    -Lou Chiafullo

    Comment


    • #3
      I think the books and movies were great. It was a great idea on the director's part to film all 3 parts together, so all the actors would be available and would look the same (and wouldn't demand ridiculous salaries because part 1 was a hit).

      Now we need to do a modern version of The Hobbit. I'll love see modern-day technology do Smaug destroying the city on the lake!

      JS
      Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
      Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006


      "Never pet a burning dog."

      RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
      http://www.mormon.org
      http://www.sca.org
      http://www.scv.org/
      http://www.scouting.org/

      Comment


      • #4
        I never read the books, but I did love the movies. And I normally don't go for all that fantasy stuff, but I just loved the battle scenes. I didn't really care for the Frodo stuff (I thought it actually slowed the action down), but thats just me!
        "Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting dirty for"
        "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step, and a lot of bitching"

        Comment


        • #5
          Great books and great movies:thumb:
          B. FETT

          Comment


          • #6
            The "Lord of the Rings" trilogy is one of the few movies that approaches (or possibly surpasses) the great work of literature its based on. The respect the movie makers had for the book is quite evident. Even when the movie version altered the book version the intent of the book was never lost. The few parts of the book that were deleted (ie, Tom Bombadill) or altered (ie, Arwen subbing for Glorfindel) actually streamlined the storytelling.

            The state of the art special effects finally allowed the story to be in ways only previously imagined, but at no time did these effects overwhelm the human aspects of the films. The time and effort taken to physically create such a vast number of "peoples" and all the artifacts that made up their various cultures is just mind boggling. The attention to detail in the artwork and architecture added so much depth to the visual experience. I also found the use of the Elvin language (with subtitles) a joy to hear. After having read the language it was very moving to hear it, with all its fluidity. This was definately one of Tolkien's geniuses. For one individual to be able to create entire languages is absolutely amazing.

            The scenery of New Zealand was beautiful and was literally its own character within the film. I doubt Tolkien's vision of Middle Earth would have been much different than the scenic spendor and diversity that was shown on screen.

            At its heart it was always a story about people (well hobbits) and the power each of us can summon when we are truly challenged. The lifelong struggle of good versus evil, the strength of friendship and the power of faith. If you haven't read the books I would highly recommend them, but the movies are so well done it's one of the rare instances where if you don't read the books too you shouldn't feel cheated.

            I hope they get the chance to make "The Hobbitt" and then the cinematic legacy of Tolkien will be complete.
            Lance W.

            Peace through superior firepower.

            Comment


            • #7
              I'm agree with Lance on most points except the Arwen vs. Glorfindel point. I don't think that streamlined the story any. I think that was done just to put some boobs in at a point where there otherwise wouldn't have been any until the second movie.

              And besides, Glorfindel was awesome, he was one of the few in Middle Earth that could openly ride against the nine and survive!

              Also last I heard about a Hobbit movie: Peter Jackson wants to make it, but the rights are actually owned by someone different and there were supposedly issues involved in getting the rights. Tolkien's son or grandson (whoever it is that's alive right now) says he would love to have Jackson make it, but they have to figure out and get through all the red tape first.
              “To discriminate against a thoroughly upright citizen because he belongs to some particular church, or because, like Abraham Lincoln, he has not avowed his allegiance to any church, is an outrage against that liberty of conscience which is one of the foundations of American life.”

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Janos
                I think the books and movies were great. It was a great idea on the director's part to film all 3 parts together, so all the actors would be available and would look the same (and wouldn't demand ridiculous salaries because part 1 was a hit).

                Now we need to do a modern version of The Hobbit. I'll love see modern-day technology do Smaug destroying the city on the lake!

                JS
                Great idea!

                I did like the books better than the films though.

                However that being said I never expected the films to be better anyway.

                Under the circumstances it was going be impossible for Peter Jackson to please everybody with a cinematic version of LOTR.

                I enjoyed the The Fellowship Of The Ring the best. I was prepared for a flop and well pleased with that that was not the case.

                The Two Towers was good but did not live up to the first one, Gollum saved the day though!

                The Return Of The King was very good, probably because the epic battle scenes carried it through.

                I would like to see them all again though, away from the claustrophobic atmosphere of a Cinema. Then I might appreciate things I missed the first time round.

                And there will be the chance to see yet more of the lovely Liv!
                :demon:
                http://www.irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Overseer
                  I'm agree with Lance on most points except the Arwen vs. Glorfindel point. I don't think that streamlined the story any. I think that was done just to put some boobs in at a point where there otherwise wouldn't have been any until the second movie.

                  And besides, Glorfindel was awesome, he was one of the few in Middle Earth that could openly ride against the nine and survive!

                  Also last I heard about a Hobbit movie: Peter Jackson wants to make it, but the rights are actually owned by someone different and there were supposedly issues involved in getting the rights. Tolkien's son or grandson (whoever it is that's alive right now) says he would love to have Jackson make it, but they have to figure out and get through all the red tape first.
                  You got a problem with boobs?
                  Lance W.

                  Peace through superior firepower.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Wolfe Tone
                    Great idea!

                    I did like the books better than the films though.

                    However that being said I never expected the films to be better anyway.

                    Under the circumstances it was going be impossible for Peter Jackson to please everybody with a cinematic version of LOTR.

                    I enjoyed the The Fellowship Of The Ring the best. I was prepared for a flop and well pleased with that that was not the case.

                    The Two Towers was good but did not live up to the first one, Gollum saved the day though!

                    The Return Of The King was very good, probably because the epic battle scenes carried it through.

                    I would like to see them all again though, away from the claustrophobic atmosphere of a Cinema. Then I might appreciate things I missed the first time round.

                    And there will be the chance to see yet more of the lovely Liv!
                    :demon:
                    The extended versions on DVD, with a great home theater are definately the way to go!!
                    Lance W.

                    Peace through superior firepower.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Had to love both of 'em.
                      Jackson did a great job.

                      Mark
                      Deo Vindice:thumb:
                      Si vis pacem, para bellum. (If you want peace, prepare for war.)

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Janos
                        I think the books and movies were great. It was a great idea on the director's part to film all 3 parts together, so all the actors would be available and would look the same (and wouldn't demand ridiculous salaries because part 1 was a hit).

                        Now we need to do a modern version of The Hobbit. I'll love see modern-day technology do Smaug destroying the city on the lake!

                        JS
                        It's on his plate. Right after King Kong.

                        Cheers!


                        :armed:
                        Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

                        "I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

                        What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I like the books better, but I don't hate the movies. And while I do have some bones to pick with it. Such as Denethor being stupid rather than insane. Otherall it is a solid 9 out of 1o stars.

                          Cheers!


                          :armed:
                          Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

                          "I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

                          What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by RichardS
                            It's on his plate. Right after King Kong.

                            Cheers!


                            :armed:
                            They're remaking King Kong? Again! I hope they don't screw it up, like they back in '76. The original is one of the great monster classics.
                            "Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting dirty for"
                            "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step, and a lot of bitching"

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              im with you. its going to be hard to top the original king kong.something about stop motion photography thats always amazed me.
                              i yam what i yam and thats what i yam!

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X