• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Girl From Ipanema -2nd Most Recorded Song

The Girl From Ipanema is a far weirder song than you thought
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFWCbGzxofU
    TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
    “War is merely the continuation of politics by other means” - von Clausewitz
    Present Current Events are the Future's History

I have to throw the bull ship card on this being the 2nd most recorded song. Sounds like the old 90% of statistics are made up.

Amy Farrah Fowler did a great job with this song on The Big Bang Theory!
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" Beatrice Evelyn Hall
    Updated for the 21st century... except if you are criticizing islam, that scares the $hii+e out of me!

Comment

Originally posted by 17thfabn View Post
      I have to throw the bull ship card on this being the 2nd most recorded song. Sounds like the old 90% of statistics are made up.
      1st - Not my claim but that of the presenter/narrator of the link provided; Adam Neely
      2nd - This song is written and first presented in Brazil and in the Portuguese language, before being done in other languages such as English/American.
      3rd - I highly recommend investing the 33 minutes of viewing this link because one learns quite a bit about basa nova music and the many cultural aspects and influences of that type of music and this song.
      4th - This song is especially beautiful and "haunting" in the original Portuguese.

Didn't have cable/disc to watch this series when first broadcast, but we have been going through the DVDs, from the library, and about half way thru, my way of saying don't think we've seen her sing it but looking forward to such.

For larger reference, here's the text from the youtube in the link in the OP.

Adam Neely
      1.12M subscribers

Brazilian bossa nova isn't elevator music, it's actually really intensely complicated! Let's find out why! Get CuriosityStream AND Nebula for less than $15 per year (26% off!) https://curiositystream.com/adamneely Sources: https://bit.ly/32moHOP Thanks to Martina da Silva for being the voice of the Girl from Ipanema!
      http://martinadasilvamusic.com/
      0:00 Introduction
      2:42 A brief history of Bossa Nova
      8:35 Melodic sequences
      13:25 The Blues countermelody
      17:43 Harmony and ambiguity
      24:29 Bridge comparison Ribeiro vs. Gilberto
      27:25 Context and poetic deletion

https://adamneelymusic.bandcamp.com/t...

Comment

Originally posted by G David Bock View Post

1st - Not my claim but that of the presenter/narrator of the link provided; Adam Neely
        I knew it wasn't your claim. It is just you hear that kind of claim all the time with little support.

In the Wikipedia article they qualify that it is the second most recorded pop song. So that eliminates competition from religious songs such as classics like Ava Maria or Amazing Grace.

Many Christmas songs are non religious and have been recorded by untold numbers of people.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" Beatrice Evelyn Hall
        Updated for the 21st century... except if you are criticizing islam, that scares the $hii+e out of me!

Comment

This video has been recommended on my YouTube account, I’ll check it out since reading this thread.
          "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
          Ernest Hemingway.

"The more I learn about people, The more I love my dog".
          Mark Twain.

Comment

But only a few lines from what I've seen. Not the full song.

Comment

They tell me that Ipamena,indeed the entire city, is not all it's cracked up to be.
              "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
              Samuel Johnson.

Comment

Originally posted by BELGRAVE View Post
                They tell me that Ipamena,indeed the entire city, is not all it's cracked up to be.
                But many of us don't care about the city, as much as the "girl from", or "girls from"; whom over the past 50-60-70 years have provided similar curvaceous, sinuous, and enticing form upon so many other beaches and elsewhere upon the world.

"The Girl From Ipanema" has become symbolic and universal enigmatic for any girl/women of sensuous figure and apeall that can be found now across the globe. A trope or metaphor, so to speak ...

Comment

Originally posted by BELGRAVE View Post
                  Many resort cities have a thin veneer of nice area for the tourists. If you get into the "real city" it often isn't as nice.

Comment

I always thought of that song as elevator music.

Comment

EXCERPT/QUOTE:
                      "Garota de Ipanema" ("The Girl from Ipanema") is a Brazilian bossa nova and jazz song. It was a worldwide hit in the mid-1960s and won a Grammy for Record of the Year in 1965. It was written in 1962, with music by Antônio Carlos Jobim and Portuguese lyrics by Vinícius de Moraes. English lyrics were written later by Norman Gimbel.[1]

The first commercial recording was in 1962, by Pery Ribeiro. The Stan Getz recording featuring the vocal debut of Astrud Gilberto became an international hit. This version had been shortened from the version on the album Getz/Gilberto (recorded in March 1963, released in March 1964), which had also included the Portuguese lyrics sung by Astrud's then husband João Gilberto. In the US, the single peaked at number five on the Billboard Hot 100, and went to number one for two weeks on the Easy Listening chart.[2] Overseas it peaked at number 29 in the United Kingdom, and charted highly throughout the world.

Numerous recordings have been used in films, sometimes as an elevator music cliché. It is believed to be the second most recorded pop song in history, after "Yesterday" by The Beatles.[3] The song was inducted into the Latin Grammy Hall of Fame in 2001.[4] In 2004, it was one of 50 recordings chosen that year by the Library of Congress to be added to the National Recording Registry.[5] In 2009, the song was voted by the Brazilian edition of Rolling Stone as the 27th greatest Brazilian song
                      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Girl_from_Ipanema

Comment

The lyrics ...

Tall and tan and young and lovely
                        The girl from Ipanema
                        Goes walking and when she passes
                        Each one she passes Goes
                        ahh

When she walks she's like a samba
                        That swings so cool and sways so gently
                        That when she passes, each one she passes
                        Goes ahh

Oh, but he watches her so sadly
                        How can he tell her I love her
                        Yes, he would give his heart gladly
                        But each day when she walks to the sea
                        She looks straight ahead, not at him

The girl from Ipanema goes walking
                        And when she passes, he smiles
                        But she doesn't see

Oh, but he sees her so sadly
                        How can he tell her I love her
                        Yes, he would give his heart gladly
                        But each day when she walks to the sea
                        She looks straight ahead, not at him

The girl from Ipanema goes walking
                        And when she passes, he smiles
                        But she doesn't see

She just doesn't see
                        No, she doesn't see
                        But she doesn't see
                        She doesn't see
                        No, she doesn't see

https://www.lyrics.com/lyric/3089519...l+from+Ipanema

Comment

Originally posted by G David Bock View Post

But many of us don't care about the city, as much as the "girl from", or "girls from"; whom over the past 50-60-70 years have provided similar curvaceous, sinuous, and enticing form upon so many other beaches and elsewhere upon the world.

"The Girl From Ipanema" has become symbolic and universal enigmatic for any girl/women of sensuous figure and apeall that can be found now across the globe. A trope or metaphor, so to speak ...
                          Point taken- what a pity it is that reality often falls short of an ideal.
                          "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
                          Samuel Johnson.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X