Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

David is not dead,he just left the earth.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David is not dead,he just left the earth.

A major actor of my youthness is gone.
    He wrote a lot of the soundtrack of my life.
    I miss him already.
    He was not like us , he was from another planet,and I love thinking that he's been back there.
    That rug really tied the room together

Comment

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

He was truly unique. I too identified with his music, and am sad to know he is gone.

The axiom is correct. All men die, but not all men truly live. I think Bowie lived as he wanted to. Not all of us can say that.

I found this picture on the MTV website, and thought it apt:

He was indeed revolutionary.
        Last edited by Martok; 12 Jan 16, 01:15.

Comment

Listening to his last album which I was planning to purchase anyway. Bittersweet but a great way to end his stay on earth.

Comment

So many stories about a popular culture God, gone forever.

Kenny Everett use to call him David BOW-ie...as in bow of a ship.

People shuld never forget that he was the first celebrity of any kind to publically come right out and say he was bi-sexual.

His first album was a flop. He went to his manger and asked what, exactly, it took to be a 'Star'. His manager told him, "Act like one, asscoiate like one, dress like one."

And he did.

Musos used to say his voice needed a little work. You can hear it in "Heroes", but as he said later, "I was trying to get people to listen to the music, and not worry about the lyrics at all". amazing that "Heroes" is remembered for the lyrics.

For the above reason, he used to record albums with his voice heavily "tracked". I've heard rumours of him using the first 8 channels on a recording studio mixing board for his voice alone.

I always thought of him as a modest man. He had a great actors face, without once needing to be 'trained' in an expensive drama school, as Robin Williams was at Julliard.

It surprised me to hear for his biography that "Fame" was his first US No. 1 record. I would have thought "Space Oddity", but no.

I read the book "Christiane F- Autobiograpphy of a Child Prostitute and Heroin Addict". Christiane calls David for 70's German audiences "Our Star of Stars". His music featured prominently in the film of her book. She 'credits' David's song "It's Too Late" as personally pulling her into the whole heroin scene. She was present in row 6 of a Berlin concert of David's, and he looked straight at Christiane whilst singing. Haunting.

My favourite song of David's was "Ashes to Ashes", truly haunting lyrics...

"I've never done good things,
            I've never done bad things,
            I never did anything out'a the blue...wo-oh-oo...(wo-oh)
            "

Goodbye to "The Man Who Fell to Earth".

It was good to spend time in the presense of one so involved in music for the sake of music.

"Ground control, to Major Tom,
            Your circuits dead,
            theres something wrong...

Can you hear me Major Tom?"
            Last edited by Drusus Nero; 12 Jan 16, 10:20.
            My Articles, ALMOST LIVE, exclusive to The Armchair!

Soviet Submarines in WW2....The Mythology of Shiloh....(Edited) Both Sides of the Warsaw Ghetto
            GULAG Glossary....Who Really Killed The Red Baron?....Pearl Harbor At 75
            Lincoln-Douglas Debates

Comment

Words from David Bowie....

"Rock has always been the Devil's music"....1988

"I like that first John Lennon album a hell of a lot. I think all the songs are very beautifully written and straight from the shoulder. Theres an honesty in the lyrics there."

"Ziggy Stardust had a mutant bastard offspring, and his name was Johnny Rotten."....1980

"Sometimes I don't feel as if i'm a person at all. I'm just a collection of other people's ideas."

"I love girls. They're smashin! Good as blokes!"...1972

"None of us exist. We're in the Twighlight Zone. We'll all go to hell, 'cause we set ourselves up as Gods.".....1972

"It's a movie so corrupt with a script thats so devious and insidious. It's the scariest movie ever written. You feel a total victim there, and you know someone's got the strings on you."...David Bowie, talking about Los Angeles.

"Rock stars have taken over from the fake prophets of Jesus' time, spreading a phoney religon and getting paid for it."...1973

"I'm one of the world's actors in the broadest sense of the word. I'm an exhibitionist. I like showing off. I'm a peacock."....1973

"I have to pick a city with friction in it. It has to be a city that i don't know how it works. I've got to be at odds with it. As soon as I feel comfortable, i can't write in it anymore."...1979

"I had no melody, so I only sang the lines I'd written for 5 bars at a time. Having sung one line, I'd take a breath and do the same thing again. I never knew the complete melody until I'd finished the song and played the whole thing back."....Bowie speaking about "Heroes".

"I feel like an actor when I'm on stage, not a rock artist.. It's not much of a vocation, being a rock and roller."...

"I once asked John Lennon what he thought of what i do. He said, "It's great, but it's just rock and roll with lipstick on."....1999

"I've been disappointed with some of my work, but i do like an awful lot of it, I'm afraid. My one problem is that I'm not very consistent."...1999

" I think Lou writes in a much more detached manner from me. Lou's the kind of guy who just sits back and watches whats going on and takes notes. ...he's a natural journalist. He's almost a kind of musical Woody allen."...David Bowie on Lou Reed.

"Sid Vicious was just a mindless twerp. I didn't find anything at all romantic about him-or even interesting."....1983

"I think Mick Jagger would be astounded and amazed if he realised to how many people he is not a sex symbol."...Angie Bowie.

Rest in Peace David Jones ("Bowie")
              Last edited by Drusus Nero; 12 Jan 16, 10:55.
              My Articles, ALMOST LIVE, exclusive to The Armchair!

Soviet Submarines in WW2....The Mythology of Shiloh....(Edited) Both Sides of the Warsaw Ghetto
              GULAG Glossary....Who Really Killed The Red Baron?....Pearl Harbor At 75
              Lincoln-Douglas Debates

Comment

Evans is right, wrong thread.
                Last edited by Arnold J Rimmer; 12 Jan 16, 12:08.
                Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                  Never really paid any attention to him or his music.

But then I don't pay attention to many musicians.
                  And that's helpful in a Memorial thread how?
                  Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

Someone on another website had adopted this image as his avatar. Not all may agree but I thought it somehow a fitting tribute:

Comment

Went to school in Ann Arbor. We played this a lot

Good bye Ziggy

Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

"Keep Calm. Use Less X's"

Comment

Was in New Orleans this weekend. They had a 'second line' memorial for Bowie. multiple thousands in backed streets. Very neat time, glad I was there.

http://theadvocate.com/news/neworlea...orleans-parade

http://theadvocate.com/news/neworlea...french-quarter
                          “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
                          “To talk of many things:
                          Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
                          Of cabbages—and kings—
                          And why the sea is boiling hot—
                          And whether pigs have wings.”
                          ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse