Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Bands Have You Seen Live in the Past Year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Bands Have You Seen Live in the Past Year?

About 3 years ago 2 events coincided that led to an important & joyous change of behaviour on my part. I turned 40 and legendary Melbourne music venue the Tote closed (temporarily it turns out). Melbourne is truly one of the great live music cities of the world. Not only is there a truly remarkable range of venues & bands, but because we are big lots of people tour here. In theory a music nut like me should have been in heaven. Yet despite having lived in melbourne since 1988 & the inner city since late 1993 I had only attended live music fitfully. My anniversary & the closure of the Tote jolted me into action. Since then I have averaged one live performance a week. I think my record is seeing about 20 bands in a week (split up into a few gigs). I also attend a regular Thursday night jazz gig about 3 times a month at an Ethiopian cafe.

In tribute to my favourite hobby I'm going to start up this thread & keep it going, starting with wha tI have seen over the last year & keeping it going as I attend gigs. I'd love it if others here also contributed. There is something special about live music so jump on in.

The last song played at the Tote (well, we all thought it would be)

....and in case the audio is too muddy, the original version 20+ years earlier. The original vocalist is the guy on stage in the first clip. Sadly the guys on the left & right of stage died of heroin ODs in the meantime - the ashes of one were scattred at the Tote before the last gig.

Human beings are the only creatures on Earth that claim a god and the only living thing that behaves like it hasn't got one - Hunter S. Thompson

Oh, the good news is that after public rallies & a huge upswell of support the Tote re-opened about 8 months later. I regularly attend gigs there.

OK, on to the live music. I'm going to start a long way from melbourne - In New York City. I was fortunate enough to visit there in September 2011. One of the highlights of my visit was that I got to go to the Village Vanguard and see Ravi Coltrane, son of the greatest sax player of all time, John Coltrane.

When he came on stage I noticed what looked like a 13 year old kid trailing him. I assumed he was a friend of somebody. Turns out he was an extraordinarily talented 15 year old pianist called Gadi lehavi.

a more familiar tune - one of his dad's best.

Human beings are the only creatures on Earth that claim a god and the only living thing that behaves like it hasn't got one - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

While in New York I stayed with an Australian friend of mine who married a local girl. As uni students we used to go to the occasional gig - including one by Australia's greatest songwriter, Paul kelly. As it happened Kelly was in New York at the Same time as me, so we all got to go together. Kelly's songs are incredibly evocative of place, and no one writes as well about melbourne. He also writes incredibly emotional songs. I did shed a tear or two.

St Kilda is a seaside suburb in melbourne where kelly still lives. King's Cross is a red light district in Sydney where Kelly stayed for a while with a friend.

Another 'melbourne' song. My house is a few kilometers behind the band

There are just so many good songs.

a remarkable song about regret

I'll post more Paul kelly at later points...but you get the genreal idea.

Comment

Remarkably, I saw noone this last year. And I say remarkably because every year since I was fourteen I have gone to at least one concert. Now, in 2011 I saw Rush, Steely Dan and the Allman Brothers. 2013 will bring Kid Rock and hopefully, B.B. King.
        "Look, a golden winged ship is passing my way"
        And I really didn't have to stop...I just kept on going.

"Castles Made Of Sand"-Jimi Hendrix from Axis:Bold As Love 1967

Comment

Originally posted by MetalDog View Post
          Remarkably, I saw noone this last year. And I say remarkably because every year since I was fourteen I have gone to at least one concert. Now, in 2011 I saw Rush, Steely Dan and the Allman Brothers. 2013 will bring Kid Rock and hopefully, B.B. King.
          Well, I broke my own rule & put up stuff from 2011, so if you want to post a few Allmans songs I think we'll let it pass.

Comment

Ok, time for the next installment. It is now late October 2011 & I am back in Melbourne. Visiting town are the Dropkick Murphy's and in support a band called Lucero from a place I had just visited - memphis.

enjoyed these guys

LOVED these guys. They are due back in town in April. Might go again!

Comment

Kid Rock put on a pretty good show last night. I didn't doubt that he would, but, I'm not a huge fan. I went because my girlfriend is a big fan of his. It was her first concert since the 80's and she really enjoyed it. And THAT's what made me happy
              "Look, a golden winged ship is passing my way"
              And I really didn't have to stop...I just kept on going.

"Castles Made Of Sand"-Jimi Hendrix from Axis:Bold As Love 1967

Comment

My own
                This bass guitar kills TERRORISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

The Who
                  Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

Comment

^ How were they?
                    "War is sorrowful, but there is one thing infinitely more horrible than the worst horrors of war, and that is the feeling that nothing is worth fighting for..."
                    -- Harper's Weekly, December 31, 1864

Comment

Originally posted by Twitter3 View Post
                      ^ How were they?
                      Ditto!

Comment

The Beatles
                        The Rolling Stones
                        Cream
                        KISS
                        Queen
                        Supertramp
                        The Who
                        Areosmith
                        AC/DC
                        CCR
                        Lynard Skynard
                        Iron Maiden
                        Motley Crew
                        Metallica
                        The Police
                        The Tragically Hip
                        Sum 41
                        Blink 182
                        Nirvana
                        Guns n' Roses
                        Black Sabbath
                        Quiet Riot
                        The Scorpians
                        Rush
                        ... and a number more.

While working in the fire service, we had bands who used pyro effects need to have our members on stand-by in the venue in case something went wrong. What a bonus - love the music and get paid for being there. Oh, and we got in free too!
                        "War is hell, but actual combat is a motherf#cker"
                        - Col. David Hackworth

Comment

Eh? Live in the past year?
                          For crap's sake, if I had to post ALL I've ever seen personally, worked with, or played with-we'd need 4-5 threads.

Originally posted by DeltaOne View Post
                          The Beatles
                          The Rolling Stones
                          Cream
                          KISS
                          Queen
                          Supertramp
                          The Who
                          Areosmith
                          AC/DC
                          CCR
                          Lynard Skynard
                          Iron Maiden
                          Motley Crew
                          Metallica
                          The Police
                          The Tragically Hip
                          Sum 41
                          Blink 182
                          Nirvana
                          Guns n' Roses
                          Black Sabbath
                          Quiet Riot
                          The Scorpians
                          Rush
                          ... and a number more.

While working in the fire service, we had bands who used pyro effects need to have our members on stand-by in the venue in case something went wrong. What a bonus - love the music and get paid for being there. Oh, and we got in free too!

Comment

You could not pay me a billion to work with Ozzy OR Sharon again.

Comment

Originally posted by rebpreacher View Post
                              You could not pay me a billion to work with Ozzy OR Sharon again.
                              Why?
                              "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X