X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joni Mitchell - Coyote

"The journey is the reward" - Steve Jobs

Comment

• Lucky, I have tickets to see these guys in San Jose Friday night.

The Black Keys - Your Touch

Comment

• Originally posted by randrmd View Post
        Joni Mitchell - Coyote

Did you know Joni was covered by Iron Savior?

Comment

• What's wrong Ibis, didn't Rob and the boys do a Joni cover, too? ;-)

And this dedication is going out to Wellington95 for his Poll in Politics Central :

Sweet Leaf-Black Sabbath

"Look, a golden winged ship is passing my way"
          And I really didn't have to stop...I just kept on going.

"Castles Made Of Sand"-Jimi Hendrix from Axis:Bold As Love 1967

Comment

• Originally posted by The Ibis View Post
            Did you know Joni was covered by Iron Savior?
            Can't say I heard that version before, but I like it.

Comment

• I came out of retirement and made my way back into the working world a few months ago. One of the benefits of this job is that I listen to music all day long. I have been sharing my knowledge of music with a few young kids as I call them and listening to there music too. Each day I pick a band and teach them all I know about the band while listening to that band's music. Today's band was the Allman Brothers and this has always been one of my favorites. Here's the latest lineup with Derek Trucks playing some fine slide guitar.

The Allman Brothers Band - Dreams

Comment

Lucky, I have tickets to see these guys in San Jose Friday night.

The Black Keys - Your Touch

I hope they put on a great show Doc. Magic Potion is still my favorite album. I'm excited about the new one though. Right before Q101 changed formats, they actually played a few tracks from Brothers for a week or two. It was weird. They never get airtime.

Now I'm going to have to put them on. That beard still amazes me. Would've given Longstreet a run for his money.

...how useless it was to struggle against fortune, this being the burden of wisdom which the ages had bequeathed to him.

Comment

Can't say I heard that version before, but I like it.
                  If Kai Hansen was American or British, he'd be a megastar. Well, if Kai Hansen was American or British and German power metal was played on MTV in the 80s, he'd have been a megastar here. But he's always big in Europe ... as the saying goes.

Originally posted by MetalDog View Post
                  What's wrong Ibis, didn't Rob and the boys do a Joni cover, too? ;-)
                  Not as far as I know. They did cover Joan Baez of course.

Which apparently shocked Ms. Baez:

In a recent interview with QMI Agency, folk icon Joan Baez was asked what she thought of JUDAS PRIEST's classic cover of her song "Diamonds And Rust", which can be found on the band's 1977 album "Sin After Sin". "I love that!" she replied. "I was so stunned when I first heard it. I thought it was wonderful. It's very rare for people to cover my songs. I think there are a couple of reasons. One is they're personal they don't have a universal quality to them. And I think maybe it's because I've already sung them, and who wants to compete with that? But it's always flattering when somebody does."

Speaking to KNAC.COM in June 2010, JUDAS PRIEST singer Rob Halford explained how the band came to record its version of the Joan Baez track. "Well, the simple story is that our label could see that there was a buzz happening here in America and we were looking for an opportunity to get some kind of radio play," he said. "Radio in 1978, when we released that, was a different hybrid, it was before all of the beat things started to happen and I think the label sensed that we've got something in us and that there was a chance, and I think they thought, well if we go this route and the radio stations hear that PRIEST is covering a Joan Baez song, then at least it gets you through the door. The big challenge even now is to get you through the door to get you played on the radio. I think the label believed that we could write radio songs, but they probably thought that this would be a little bit of a way to make a possibly, slightly faster connection. I don't know. We were actually making the backend of the 'Sin After Sin' sessions when it was suggested to us that we cover this track. And I remember we were all together and whoever it was came in, whether it was from the label or the management and said, 'Listen to this song. The label would like you to consider covering it.' And when we put it on, all we heard was Joan Baez singing this song with the guitar, and your knee-jerk reaction is, 'Are you fg crazy? We are a heavy metal band.' But again, typical of PRIEST, we're like, 'What's the logic behind this?' And then after a couple of listens, 'This is a great song.' And a good song will take any kind of interpretation. So, it was just a case of, 'Well, we're PRIEST, and if the label wants us to rock it up then this is what we're going to try and do.' So that's how it came together and it turned out really well. It opened the door for us in radio in a lot of ways, and I think that for the first time, a metal band was able to get the kind of accessibility."

source
                  Last edited by The Ibis; 11 Nov 11, 01:23.

Comment

• Very un PC, but my missus likes it as well, and the first record all 5 of us have danced to as a family .

How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
                    Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

• ZZ Top - My Head's in Mississippi

Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

• Amaranthe - Enter the Maze

Comment

• Can anyone access Fleetwood Mac doing "Shake Your Moneymaker"? This was when it was a Blues Band.

Pruitt
                          Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

• Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
                            Can anyone access Fleetwood Mac doing "Shake Your Moneymaker"? This was when it was a Blues Band.

Pruitt
                            Here you go

Comment

• ...how useless it was to struggle against fortune, this being the burden of wisdom which the ages had bequeathed to him.

Comment

• Have Love Will Travel ~ The Black Keys

Doc's right....great band!
                                "Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X